Annoying Deerclops

Sinelas

Hi guys, I'm french so I apologize in advance for my spelling :p

I tryed reign of giant a lot of times, and each I had the same problem, summer is not that easy of course but I just have to find some gears to survive so this is not a real difficulty.

My problem is the winter, each time, When I start the game in spring or in autumn, I manage to survive to the winter and I die, not because of frost but by this amazingly annoying Deerclops.

Each winter, I have to face him, even if it's the first winter, he came each time during winter for my last 5 games, he don't always kill me, but he destroy my camp every time, and I know maybe this is not what a don't starve player should think, But I don't want to recreate my camp every winter ...

I try to hear his breath but when I hear it, it's just too late, even if I run away from my camp, he will destroy it, and I cannot even try to face him to avoid my camp from being destroyed cause he can just appear from each side of my screen, so I can't protect all my stuff which is maybe a little close, but it's the only way to have bee boxes and protect them with just one iceflingomatic during summer.

I'd like to know if there is some tips to avoid him from destroy my camp like that, exept by create another far away for the winter, cause the first winter isn't that easy to have 2 camps :(

I wondered if having many objects could attract him, cause I find really strange to have him each winter, But it's not the problem, don't starve is a good game even if it is really hard (for me), But it's annoying to die each time by the same thing, and to don't understand how to avoid this death.

Thanks for reading, have a nice day.

Well, Reign of Giants is all about giants messing you up, and Deerclops has been implemented as a basehassler.

Deerclops is the only seasonal giant from base-Don'tStarve.

He always seems to spawn first winter, and there isn't really time to run. If he can't find you, he'll destroy your base.

The only thing you can do without another base is try to catch his attention and then lure him to a swamp or something. But just putting a firepit and a sign close to each other should count as base, so you should go there if you notice winters end (maybe with an ice box and/or crock pot).

Oh, and I don't know if this is just bad luck, but I never get a deerclops after first winter (base-DS)

Deerclops has been implemented as a basehassler.

To our great pleasure xD

Reign of Giants is all about giants messing you up

I really hate the deerclops for 2 reasons, first I find he is the second harder giant to hit and run (after the summer giant), so that make him really hard to kill with a basic stuff without loosing all your sanity.

Second I don't know why, but with all the others giants, when I begin to hear them, I have some times to run away before they really spawn, so for exemple the autumn giant which attacked me just a few days before the deerclops wasn't really a problem, I had time to run away before it was here and luck made some tree guards help me to kill him easily.

Maybe should I make spawn some tree guards and plant them just near my camp to help me deal with it.

you should go there if you notice winters end

He can only spawn at the end of the winter ? It seems last time I get him just 3 or 4 days after the autumn giant (yhea first year xD) but that's true it's the first time I saw him so early during the winter.

firepit and a sign close to each other should count as base

Ok that's probably my problem, I suppose the game mechanic make him attack the player or something which count as a base, so that's probably why running away don't save my base unlike for the autumn giant which destroy my base only if I try to fight him in.

But the question is, if I create a fake base somewhere, is it possible for him to spawn near this base instead of mine ?

Thanks for your answer, but, I have a last question, how do you manage with him during your games when he come in the first winter ?

English is not my native languague aswell, so i hope you can understand,

I had the same problem with the deerclops, but it was only on my first winter, now when i'm building a base I always check if there's a tp near of my base, when the winter comes, make sure you have a miner hat with you always and maybe even some food, when you hear the first message ( it's different from hound attacks), just jump on the teleport and wait he be summoned, when it happens, jump back and he will probably be despawn, you don't have to kill him on the first winter, although it's very good since with his eye, you can make eyebrella which will make you life a lot easier on the following spring/summer.

If you want to kill it, the best thing to do is to build a birdcage and feed it with 9 meat/monster meat, and let the egg become rott egg, when it happens you can use it to make 9 gunpowder (1 nitre + 1 charcoal + 1 rott egg = 1 gunpowder), and find a way to put it to sleep or frozen, if you haven't found the pan flute you can craft a ice staff which is easy to do, using something to frozzen or put it to sleep make it easier to you kill it, and using only 9 gunpowder allow you to loot it, 9+ will make it explode and drop only ashes :S
alway

Firstly, welcome to the forums @Sinelas!

Secondly, my condolences. To a new player, you get this base camp up and running, and this [censored] marches in and smashes it all down is quite antagonizing. 

Thirdly, you ALWAYS get a roar, and another roar and another , and your character COMMENTS on it, THEN the Roar/spawn of him offscreen. 

This means you CAN run somewhere, ANYWHERE else and deal with him. Make some place with signs and a fire pit. He will smack the signs and not your backup zone. Planks can be reused as signs to distract him. ANY animal that will notice him or he it will also be a new target for him to attack.Once gone, he destories structures, so using beehives, spiders nests, etc works well. Pengulls have mixed results and only work if you have many rookeries not just one. 

The easiest way to handle him your first winter is to be near Beefalo. Their swarming means eventually he will fall. if you don't want most of the herd to fall, I suggest you run in, him him once or twice while swarmed then run away and let Beefalo continue.

The second way is to hire Pigs to defend you. I don't recommend being next to their village at this time due to him hammering their houses and you losing the village without rebuilding. Again, they alone won't be enough, so hit and run literally. 

The third (and easiest) way is to put him to sleep (sleep darts/Pan Flute) and light about 12 Gunpowder and finish him off in a non-fire way, so you don't lose his drops to burning. An Old Bell can be used instead of gunpowder if you have it. Gunpowder uses charcoal, that nitre and rotten eggs which is why a birdcage is so important; don't wait for Pengulls to make this as they still will attack you even with rotten eggs.

Respectfully, many players lack the foresight, gathering enough resources and how to light and run tactics to properly do this, so this may be too complex to start.  

The fourth way is to make many many blowdarts and kill him. Snowbird feathers are the trick and MacTusks always drop a BD. To kill a lot of snowbirds, you really need to make boomerangs, and learn how to catch them and repeat over and over. The other ingredients are pretty self-explanatory. 

The last way is to simply take many (2 or more) armor items like football helmets or log suits and kite. 3 hits and run. Freezing in a block of ice takes two hits,. So if ranged hit, stay away for a little bit. Or marble Suit it and take your hits and tank it out. 

If desperate, try luring him to a forest for spawning a Treeguard or a swamp, preferably with a Tentacle trap. 

If you still need help, go here.

And make the Eye into an Eyebrella for Spring and Summer, Go to MacTusk and get his Tusks (for a Walking cane) and Tam, and get that walking cane, tam and Eyebrella ready, Spring is coming! 

Hi Alakir,

I had the same problem with the deerclops, but it was only on my first winter

This is exactly the same thing for me, I always have to fight him, but just during my first winter (even if I start during autumn).

just jump on the teleport and wait he be summoned, when it happens, jump back and he will probably be despawn

Seriously oO, this really work ? This is exactly the tips I needed and I don't care about move my base a little bit far from beefalo If this can save me from this giant, thanks you for this, I'll try it for my next game soon :)

I have just a problem, I saw many people say wilson speak before the giant spawn and say : "that sound big" juste like he say "I hear puppy". But I never saw him say that, each time, I only understand the giant will come cause I hear is breath and less than a minute after, the ground shakes and the giant is here, but maybe it's too late just when I begin to hear his breath.

Killing him with gunpowder sounds good, But I hate the new birds mechanic, now we have to feed them each day wich is really annoying, cause the best thing we have to do is to carry him to check if he is hungry.

But I don't find him so hard to kill, I can manage to kill him with just one log suit and 2 or 3 spears, but for that I need to have something to gain back sanity after the fight, cause If I just hit and run that can take a long time, and I can't do that during the dark night.

Thanks for your answer.

There's some things that you can use to get sanity boost really fast, for start of the game your resources to use to cook some good recipes on crock pot is probably small, but can you find near of you base a desert? if yes, you can collect some cactus, they are one of the best foods in the game to get sanity, it's + 15 sanity cooked, if you haven't found a desert, green mushroom work as well, although it's more hard to get sometimes, you can also craft some dry rack early on, you can make the meat give + 20 health + 25 hunger and + 15 sanity and it last a lot longer, so it's really a good deal for the start of the game where you still can't find things to make good crock pots recipes or dress/hats.

I'm sorry for the double post, but I don't know if there is a way to edit here and your post wasn't here when I wrote my last one :p

Thanks you very much for all those tips, seems there is a lot of ways to fight him, with all that, he shouldn't stay my only problem to end the first year.

Secondly, my condolences. To a new player, you get this base camp up and running, and this [censored] marches in and smashes it all down is quite antagonizing. 

Thirdly, you ALWAYS get a roar, and another roar and another , and your character COMMENTS on it, THEN the Roar/spawn of him offscreen.

Yhea this is, and more cause it's not the first time this happen to me, I am a very careful person so each time my base is pefectly organised, with grass and twigs and at last 2 beehives, but that's seems like deerclops don't appreciate all these beautiful things :p

I looked at the link you gave me, and yes it's normal If I don't have always the comment from the character, but yes each time I hear it roar which let me a moment to prepare myself.

This means you CAN run somewhere, ANYWHERE else and deal with him. Make some place with signs and a fire pit. He will smack the signs and not your backup zone

That's what I try to do each time, But I never tryed to create a fire and signs, that should be why he just ignore me and smach all my stuff even when I'm far away from it.

I noticed you said "signs" and not "sign", does that mean I have to put more than one If I want him to regard my fake base as a real base ?

The easiest way to handle him your first winter is to be near Beefalo. Their swarming means eventually he will fall. if you don't want most of the herd to fall, I suggest you run in, him him once or twice while swarmed then run away and let Beefalo continue.

I tryed that once but with his RoG new attack, he just destroyed easily not less than 20 buffalos x) but maybe that made it really low life.

And make the Eye into an Eyebrella for Spring and Summer, Go to MacTusk and get his Tusks (for a Walking cane) and Tam, and get that walking cane, tam and Eyebrella ready, Spring is coming!

it's in this state of mind that I'll fight him in my next game, Thanks you again for your help, when deerclops will hear my roar, he will do well to run away :)

I restart a new game now, and I prevent you when the winter or/and the deerclops are over.

About what the characters say, it's diferent for all characters, wilsom says "that sounded big", wifgrid says something like "a worth foe is comig", if it's not showing a diferent mensagem for you it's probablly a bug,

Seriously oO, this really work ? This is exactly the tips I needed and I don't care about move my base a little bit far from beefalo If this can save me from this giant, thanks you for this, I'll try it for my next game soon

it can sometimes not work so you have to attack you make him get distracted with something else and jump again, but I'm on day 333 now and i have only fight deerclops once on the first winter and never more, and it always worked.

Sorry about the double post, i can't edit my post here 0-o

Hi again, I started my new game and all is O.K. for the moment, 3 bee boxes at day 11 allow me to keep a lot of honey for the winter (day 20 I think) I have some beefalos near my base but not enought to kill to kill the deerclops. So I will try to creat another base with fire and signs and I hope deerclops wouldn't destroy that :/ If he do it I just decapitate him and I put the film on the internet. (bad joke sorry)

7mHKzxe.jpg

I seen in an earlier post you talked about the new bird mechanic, where you have to feed them everyday. This is an older mechanic now. The devs went back and made it like it used to be.

I mention that cause it sounds like your on an older version of the game. If your getting the Bearger the first season too, that would confirm it.

I would suggest updating your game (newest build is 110570). Press backspace at the main menu and in the lower right it will tell you the version. This might help with some of the problems your having with not getting a proper warning. Also, you won't have to feed birds constantly anymore! Hope this helps!

Also, keep Deerclops away from Beefalo the first winter. He will kill them all and leave you without anymore. If your not interested in building a second base, on day 29 gather up a bunch of food (jerky if you have it) wood and cut grass... Go far away from your base for a few days. Deerclops like to spawn on day 30 or 31 and he'll spawn close to you, so wait for that to happen. Let him Aggro on you and lure him to some pigs, once he attacks them, run for your life. Don't stop and don't look back!!

Hope this helps!

My game should be up to date, but I didn't played for a while, because of my problem with the deerclops, I just tryed once to make a birdcage A lot before. I thank devs just didn't want the player to build each time a birdcage, wich was just Overpowered before reign of giant. Thanks for prevent me so, I should try to make a birdcage in this game just to have some gunpowder, this can be really usefull.

Deerclops like to spawn on day 30 or 31

I'll try this, ty for these advices, I just begin to make some honey hams and I will harvest some cactus just to regain sanity during the fight, even with just a log suit, 2 spears and a lot of hit and run, I should be able to down him.

It is really impossible to run away quickly from my base when I hear him and not loose facilities ? Or he will just camp here and smash all my nice beeboxes ? :(

Man, it is really easy to down him with some good healing and hunger things. I made it even when two attacked me on day 200+. You just need about 10 healing slaves, 10 sanity regenerators any kind and log suit. Spear is enough weapon. Just kite them like:

- Run to him/them,

- Hit two times/one time,

- Run away,

- Repeat.

Just one tip, i wouldn't make the bee boxes so near of you base since they will become killer bee in spring, so it will attack anything that's is near of them include you :S
Another thing, i hope you don't see it on bad way, but generally the best place to make you base is on a division with so many biomes possible, generally here I make around 2 3 biomes near of me, so you can have almost everything near of your base, the 2 best biomes you can have near of your base is desert and march ( in my opinion) because the marsh gives you good weapons and items, besides a lot of protection with the tentacles ( and some food if you wait for your opportunities), and the desert gives you a lot of stones that is useful when starting your base, and some good foods with the buzzards/cactus/volt goat.

Klei pushed a small update yesterday and the fact you have to feed birds daily means to update. If you don't want to, thats fine but there's at least one available.

I've read on other topics that Giants won't spawn unless your near a base, but in my experience they'll spawn anywhere. So use that to your advantage. If a clops does spawn near you, hit him and guide him away from your base before he destroys it.

Man, it is really easy to down him with some good healing and hunger things

I know it, the problem is not to kill him but to prevent him from destroying all my base, which is more difficult, I saw somewhere on this forum someone who said that we can put some signs near the base to delay the deerclops, and I have just to make a boomerang to aggro him and save my base, that should work.

Just one tip, i wouldn't make the bee boxes so near of you base since they will become killer bee in spring, so it will attack anything that's is near of them include you :S

I know but I do that for the summer, that allow my iceflingomatic to cover all my base, during spring these bee can become a little annoying but only if they comme really near me, I just have to leave my base a little more during spring this is not a real problem, I can even harvest the honey without being attacked during spring.

Another thing, i hope you don't see it on bad way, but generally the best place to make you base is on a division with so many biomes possible, generally here I make around 2 3 biomes near of me, so you can have almost everything near of your base, the 2 best biomes you can have near of your base is desert and march ( in my opinion) because the marsh gives you good weapons and items, besides a lot of protection with the tentacles ( and some food if you wait for your opportunities), and the desert gives you a lot of stones that is useful when starting your base, and some good foods with the buzzards/cactus/volt goat.

You can't see this on my screen but there is a desert near me, some beefalos too, and some spiders not so far, that's true now I tryed to eat some cactus I find this really Op as a combo with the honey to heal (sanity and heal, honey ham really heal a lot) but I had the choice between put my camp nearer to the desert, or here to have the beefalo not so far and what I find really Op, a lot of grass and rabbits holes.

Klei pushed a small update yesterday and the fact you have to feed birds daily means to update. If you don't want to, thats fine but there's at least one available.

Ho ok, This is a recent update, yhea so I have probably not that installed, I will do it now, thanks :-)

And I have just a question for you Alakir, you said the voltgoats can be used as a source of food, but how ? I don't really well know all these new mobs, exept the moleworm wich is a rabbit with less spawn rate, but which can be relocate.

And I have just a question for you Alakir, you said the voltgoats can be used as a source of food, but how ? I don't really well know all these new mobs, exept the moleworm wich is a rabbit with less spawn rate, but which can be relocate.

They are like a herd, what means if you kill almost all of them, and let at least 1~2 alive, in some time they will repopulate the area again, and they drop 2 meat each when they die, sadly they can't be moved to a better place or be shaved just like you can do with beefaloes to get some good source of fuel, but they drop volt goat horn, what you can use to make a "eletric weapon" (morning star), beside being a good weapon to be used on spring ( she does higher damage to targets on rain), if you have some time to spend, you can use it to attack the goat, and make them get "charged", (exactly the same way that  happens when she is hit by a lightning) and if you kill them in this state they drop eletric milk, what you can make ice cream ( largest sanity food of the game) but spoil very fast, but very fun :D

Hi, as you can see I put some signs around my base, I keep always 3 honey ham on me and 3 taffy even if I have an ice box, and a boomerang to pull him (and of course the thermal stone and rabbit earmuffs).

When deerclops will come, He should focus the signs first,I pull him, I fight him far away from my base, with and armor and a spear with with durability, heal regen with honey ham and taffy for sanity regen, I have also some flowers near if I have really a problem with sanity, I know how to hit and run him, he should be an easy kill.

I just hope I'll pull him before he would destroy my bee boxes.

kevzBbF.jpg

It looks like the real difficulty during the first winter is not to "don't starve" but to be ready to fight the deerclops.

yeah, RoG the main problem is the giant, but it's just for the first season after that you can have some tie to prepapre. Aditionally, you should try to kill some beefaloes, to try do drop their horn, with that you can use it to play and move the beefaloes where ever you want, and using it with + 8 beefalo wool to craft a beefalo hat, it's a tier 3 warm clothing item, ( while earmuffs is a tier 1), and you will have a better time at winter, and when the beefaloes get in the mating season, they won't attack you while you are using the hat, if you don't  like the idea of be killing part of your beefaloes, you can craft a razor and shave it for their wool, and craft a winter hat (4 woll + 4 silk), they are a tier 2 warm clothing and should help you, and congratulations on your base, i hope you can pass this winter this time :grin:

yeah, RoG the main problem is the giant, but it's just for the first season after that you can have some tie to prepapre. Aditionally, you should try to kill some beefaloes

Yhea, I find it's strange to have more difficult for the first year than the second :razz:

Ho, And I passed the winter, I shoud be happy but deerclops didn't come for the first time, I was so much prepared x)

But there was a lot of wolf attacks (Not less than 5 in 15 days, didn't know that was even possible).

fdndyOR.jpg

I don't know many things about the Goose, but this one will put an egg near of your base, and from that egg around 4 ~5 birds will come, whatever you do, just remeber don't kill the boss near of the small bird, or attack the small birds or they will call a Goose ( the giant) to protect them, and if you kill it near of them, they will get enraged and the things will be really problematics, soIi would try do deal with him now, before the egg and etc, hes easy to kill, the most annoying thing is to scream and he will throw your weapon away from you :S

he spawned really near my base and there was no eggs, folowing your advices, I charged him and defeated him in an epic battle (I just ran away while freezing the first time and came back with 2 angry beefalos, enjoy the 3 feather and 25 meat :grin: I find he is really less dangerous than the deerclops.

What can I do with this down feathers ?

Edit: I have a question, the walls will burn during summer or not ? I wanted to build a large wall around my base but I can't protect it with just one ice-flingomatic, so ...

Archived