[Question]Dark Petal and Varg Hound farm

I can't find anywhere a good guide on how to farm dark petals. I tried using bees with evil flowers in a world and they didn't spawn more of them over the time (might have been because those were bee box bees).

I also read somewhere that you can farm the Varg since he spawns infinite hounds, can I trap him between trees while I put him to sleep? Right now he's near my base and I let him spawn a couple of hounds while he is stuck on a tree (not even a cluster, only 1) and take them to optimus pine.

What I've done to farm evil flowers is to catch a ton of butterflies and plant them next to a bunch of natural bee hives. Early game, during the full moon I'll go check up on them. If they're not evil the first night, they usually are the second. Later game the bet way to get nightmare fuel is to go down to the ruins and run out a nightmare cycle,  making sure you get a ton of shadow monsters to chase you. Nightmare cycle ends, turn around and pick up all the free fuel. I've gotten 2 full stacks of 40 in one nightmare cycle doing this.

As far as the Varg, I've put him to sleep and planted a bunch of trees around him then go far away. In a couple days, when the trees grow, he'll be trapped and you can farm hounds. I only did it to see if I could. Once I confirmed, I burned them down and took out the Varg. Another way to farm hounds is by going to the dessert and post up next to the hound mounds. But by far my favorite is to hunt McTusk in the Winter. Tons of hounds teeth and blue gems, plus McTusk drops!

I can't find anywhere a good guide on how to farm dark petals. I tried using bees with evil flowers in a world and they didn't spawn more of them over the time (might have been because those were bee box bees).

I also read somewhere that you can farm the Varg since he spawns infinite hounds, can I trap him between trees while I put him to sleep? Right now he's near my base and I let him spawn a couple of hounds while he is stuck on a tree (not even a cluster, only 1) and take them to optimus pine.

The bees to farm Evil Flowers have to be "rouge" bees, so you catch them and set them free next to your farm and wait... If you're looking to farm Nightmare Fuel, I would recomend you go to the ruins, you'll be swimming in it after a few cycles.

I've never heard about Varg farming, but I find it better to farm them via Hound Mound, since unlike the Varg, it can't attack you, but will spawn them less, but in higher rates (the Varg spawns 2 Hound if I'm not mistaken...)

@spencer320 I have my base set up like 3 sec. away from their igloo and planted a den right near it. And strangely, they didn't wake up the spiders (or maybe they don't spawn when you're walking on their turf, I don't remember). The greatest thing is, I have my base right near a swamp, spelunk hole that I opened and get guano from (found only 2 beefalo's in my world now, and since I couldn't kill them Idon't have a beef hat :[ ), and in the swamp, a wormhole that takes me to the desert, even if it's right near the mounds, it's a great place.

@Watcha I read I have to enclose them with walls, but the bees can still get through, is that necessary? What goes for the Varg, just a side plan, I need teeth now, for traps and winter just hit, so I guess the Varg will have to wait, at least I've got Mactusk with me.

Using homeless bees to spawn more evil flowers is slow and painful.

Plenty of options to get nightmare fuel:

1) Grab a load of evil flowers during the full moon.

2) Hammer the touchstone pig-heads during the full moon. They'll drop nightmare fuel in addition to the pigtails and twigs

3) Trap a load of rabbits and drop your sanity so thy become beardlings. Each one you kill has a 25% chance to drop nightmare fuel.

I've never tried trapping a warg. Farming the hound mounds is OK, but McTusk is really the best for teeth drops, as spencer320 posted.

Just trap the Varg within walls. He'll automagically go for you, therefore not smashing walls. Also, leaving the screen makes him just dormant.

I would only recommend farming a varg when all hound mounds are destroyed, ending the waves.

Archived