Why I have not purchased Invisible, Inc. yet?(Serious)

I first want to say I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with Klei Games. Mark of the Ninja and Shank are both awesome. I have had countless hours of enjoyment with Don't Starve. I have nothing but repect for Klei. This is not meant as a criticism but as a suggestion to make the game more enjoyable for players such as myself.

I am sure that there are others who really enjoy the tension and sence of urgency that the timers create but I feel that , in it's current state, the game has too many agressive timers.  I am suggesting that options be included to slow down/stop timers for those of us who would like a more slow paced tactical feel.

As well as just genral options to slow or stop timers, I think it would be awsome to include items/agents/events that could modify/reduce/increase the timer rate.

The overall timer "feature" is also extremely frustrating to many players such as myself. It is the main reason I do not own any of the Dead Rising franchise.

Thanks and Keep up the great work Klei!

As I wrote in my topic (though I have the game) I feel you. It IS a nice enough game no doubt, but I feel the point of turn based games is a tad lost when you are more or less forced to rush through a level. Yes I'm an old school gamer, but please and for the love of God, make this an optional hard difficulty or whatever. I do play games where you have be quick or be dead, but I'm rather particular when it comes to turn based strategy where this, to me, has no place.

This is basically my only gripe with the game right now. Well, maybe gunfights should perhaps not be one hit ganks (either enemy or your dude) but also get a little more love, but I can live with that. I'd love an agent pool you can hire guys from like Jagged Alliance had it but prolly not happening, also only optional thoughts anyways. The game is pretty decent, no doubt, but overall Klei takes turn based strategy in a direction I don't fancy it being pushed to. 

Ultimately the timer is a huge part of the game, and removing it would completely change everything. It works as a turn based game because you have plenty of time to think about your decisions, but the timer is there to *make sure* you think about your decisions! Instant punishment for mistakes.

Are there times when it's obnoxious? Absolutely! Guard patrols costing you time, or taking three turns to get out of the first room for example. But that's the game. Saying you want Invisible, Inc. with no timer is like saying you like Halo but don't like only carrying two guns at the same time, or saying you like Don't Starve but you don't like the darkness monster.

Heck, Don't Starve is a great example. It's got the timer, but it's real time, so you've always gotta be moving towards your goal. Here at least you have time between turns to think carefully about what you want to do.

At the end, this is just one persons opinion. I can certainly see your point about not wanting to buy it because of the timer. At the end of the day, it's just not the game for you! But removing a core feature because some people don't like it isn't the solution.

Ultimately the timer is a huge part of the game, and removing it would completely change everything. It works as a turn based game because you have plenty of time to think about your decisions, but the timer is there to *make sure* you think about your decisions! Instant punishment for mistakes.

Are there times when it's obnoxious? Absolutely! Guard patrols costing you time, or taking three turns to get out of the first room for example. But that's the game. Saying you want Invisible, Inc. with no timer is like saying you like Halo but don't like only carrying two guns at the same time, or saying you like Don't Starve but you don't like the darkness monster.

Heck, Don't Starve is a great example. It's got the timer, but it's real time, so you've always gotta be moving towards your goal. Here at least you have time between turns to think carefully about what you want to do.

At the end, this is just one persons opinion. I can certainly see your point about not wanting to buy it because of the timer. At the end of the day, it's just not the game for you! But removing a core feature because some people don't like it isn't the solution.

I think you misunderstand me, I am not asking for it to be removed. I am asking that there be an option to modify it in some way.  The biggest sticking point for me is the 72 hour timer . The added fact that travel to the missions also eat up that timer just adds to the frustration.  The mission timers in the current build also move far too quickly.  Starting a level already detected also make little sense.

I must repectfully disagree with you about the Don't Starve having a timer. It has a day/night cycle with changing seasons and random events. There is not end.  In Stealth, Inc you have zero control over the timer, it always increases, it always ticks down tword the end of your game. That is the major sticking point for me at least.

I must stress again that I am not asking that the timer be fully removed. I am asking for the option to change it's behavior based on a difficulty setting or even with ingame items/abilities/events/agents, ect.

Overall the game looks fantastic. I love the idea of the turn based stealth. I think adding any kind of *option* that would allow the timers to be modified/removed would go a long way to appealing to gamers like myself who enjoy turn based stratagy but are not keen on being rushed thru a level or the game

• Developer

Thanks for your feedback! The alarm timer is something we were pretty sure would be controversial, and I think @jamesl put it best as to our intentions here:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/39622-not-quite-getting-this-yet-with-a-bit-of-wtf-added/#entry525435

We're listening closely to everyone's reactions, though, and at the very least we are implementing a difficulty setting to allow new players to feel less rushed, and be able to explore the systems more fully before being pushed at every angle. More info about that soon!

Maybe a program to simply slow it down so the alarm only ticks every second turn, so you'd have more time to explore and stuff but might lack power quite often if you don't keep hacking terminals.

Or even with a difficulty setting the alarm should never be slower than half of what it is now, or else it's going to be too easy and you'll feel very overwhelmed once you hit "normal" difficulty.

It's campaign mode. Like DS's Adventure mode, it's supposed to be challenging! On the other hand, you're forced to do it to unlock endless mode (reverse DS if you will.)

It's part of the game play dynamic and removing it would destroy any sense of "they are hunting us down" urgency as important as...the fleet of ships chasing you in FTL was.

Sure there are mods that remove those ships (and I bet remove the timer in II's game's future should modding be available,) but it seriously cripples how the game was meant to be played in regards to difficulty and accomplishment.  Roguelike games are not supposed to have an "easy mode" anyway (and the screams you are hearing from me as Invisible Inc  beats me again and again to start are well earned and sometimes even enjoyed, you [expletives deleted] who designed this! ;p ) 

All i got to say is this: I usually hate time limit in games...but in this game it works really well for me. Without the alarm and the permadeath it would only be half the fun for me.

I hope they keep the current difficulty in the game, or at least if they chose to nerf it, have variable difficulty settings.

Corporate, guerilla, stealth warfare...Get in, grab as much as you can, and get out. I love the randomness of the maps, sometimes you hit rock bottom, you just gotta find the elevator and get outta there. No need to loot every map blind, just move on and adapt.

Then you have those risky, very succesful runs, vault robbed blind, extra safes looted, almost alarm level 6 an no idea where the elevator is. Clever usage of stealth, distraction (ping), takedowns, and i made it out.

The game gets a lot easier when you free the extra agents from the detention cells, use some pwr micromanagement with lockpick and parasite and have ranged, armor piercing attacks, when sh$t hits the fan.

I dont understand why people are so against the alarm system. I mean if you removed it there is simple no challenge left.

And the challenge is the biggest reason to play and come back to these type of turn based games.

Ingame it is explained in text that this will be a hardcore and difficult game. If you remove that you can just walk through the levels and be done with the game in a hour. So if you make this game too casual you really need to put a lot of content in it to make peoplo come back to it.

I dont see that happen.

Archived