Boss Suggestions

First time posting.

I wanted to give an idea for a giant or boss for the multiplayer similar to deerclops, bearger etc.

In multiplayer, I believe there should be a boss or giant that splits after reaching 0 HP the first time, then splits into two or maybe the amount equal to number of players in the world. Each split form would chase after each character. I believe it would give a great interactive environment and would involve everyone.

I strongly disagree with MP-only content because the people who don't want to play multiplayer but want that content miss out.

I think Klei has said something similar. I don't remember where or if they did, though.

Didn't know there wasn't an edit option.

But example (numbers can change of course): Boss has total of 2,000 HP

Single player, it just has 2,000 HP

However in MP: It splits at 1,000 and if you have 4 people then the remaining 1,000 would have split copies of 250 each. You'd be able to keep the boss an option for single player, but MP would just be tweaked slightly. Drop same items, same moves, etc. Just trying to throw a little bit of difference without major differences.

Pls no. I think the Ghost mechanic is enough for Don't Starve Together. No shadow bosses, no. The idea is basically saying, if this fight was hard (since it's either a giant or boss yet giants are technically bosses) then why not throw more into your face since if you didn't take a single hit from the boss, here's another boss to throw at your face. And the Shadow Boss is saying "Here's your reward for reaching 0 sanity, A boss that'll attack you while you get attacked by more hallucinations because they're not hard to take down without a boss, right?"

Didn't know there wasn't an edit option.

But example (numbers can change of course): Boss has total of 2,000 HP

Single player, it just has 2,000 HP

However in MP: It splits at 1,000 and if you have 4 people then the remaining 1,000 would have split copies of 250 each. You'd be able to keep the boss an option for single player, but MP would just be tweaked slightly. Drop same items, same moves, etc. Just trying to throw a little bit of difference without major differences.

This is okay but I know Klei doesn't want Multiplayer to be required, just a smaller thing. No extravagant bosses that split. Leave it to the modding community.

Pls no. I think the Ghost mechanic is enough for Don't Starve Together. No shadow bosses, no. The idea is basically saying, if this fight was hard (since it's either a giant or boss yet giants are technically bosses) then why not throw more into your face since if you didn't take a single hit from the boss, here's another boss to throw at your face. And the Shadow Boss is saying "Here's your reward for reaching 0 sanity, A boss that'll attack you while you get attacked by more hallucinations because they're not hard to take down without a boss, right?"

You can make it a boss that doesn't aggro then. If the player doesn't interact with it for a day then it will despawn. It'd be a boss for players that want a challenge. The reward would be nice of course.

You can make it a boss that doesn't aggro then. If the player doesn't interact with it for a day then it will despawn. It'd be a boss for players that want a challenge. The reward would be nice of course.

Look, I know that bosses can despawn (Spider Queens become tier 1 dens, the giants eventually despawn once a season ends, the exception to this is are the Treeguards.) the giants are considered a challenge. But I don't think you understand what I said, they first one is a pretty unique idea since the only boss that does something with similar to that is the Spider Queen (she gives birth to spiders and spider warriors). But both bosses seem to include no value to increase multiplayer. That's why I suggested this should be given to the modding community.

Look, I know that bosses can despawn (Spider Queens become tier 1 dens, the giants eventually despawn once a season ends, the exception to this is are the Treeguards.) the giants are considered a challenge. But I don't think you understand what I said, they first one is a pretty unique idea since the only boss that does something with similar to that is the Spider Queen (she gives birth to spiders and spider warriors). But both bosses seem to include no value to increase multiplayer. That's why I suggested this should be given to the modding community.

Ok the shadow boss can be dropped from this thread since that's all you've been sticking too.

The splitting does include value to multiplayer, so the thread can stay. It allows a copy to follow each person after the first phase, it locks on so it doesn't follow one person. Each copy can drop one of the same item so each person gets it. But the item will be balanced of course.

Ok the shadow boss can be dropped from this thread since that's all you've been sticking too.

The splitting does include value to multiplayer, so the thread can stay. It allows a copy to follow each person after the first phase, it locks on so it doesn't follow one person. Each copy can drop one of the same item so each person gets it. But the item will be balanced of course.

I know Klei and the community both have the same message "No multiplayer only features." this includes the duplication feature of a boss. As it lies Mod support has been announced so that's why I brought it up as a mod for Don't Starve. The mods can both be found here (on the Klei Forums) and also on the Steam Workshop. Plus even if it was "good loot" we already have 4 boss monsters (in vanilla, no DLC) and an added 3 (Giants are bosses. The deerclops is considered a boss in the core game as he has no added attributes). 

Now, I give up since in the East Coast U.S it is currently Midnight and I need to sleep.

Just no respectively. If it doesn't work in single player, then it shouldn't be done for DST. if Klei wants to add more content inspired by DST that also shows up in SP, maybe i'll consider. But people shouldn't be punished if they don't play MP, let alone a boss that is not thought out thoroughly for play balance. 

And in the future, please post all gaming suggestion additions including DST in this subsection

But people shouldn't be punished if they don't play MP

Why should it be a punishment for non DST players? I would see it rather as an addition to make multiplayer more fun, than a punishment for singleplayers.

Of course you can push those mechanics to the mod developers but pure vanilla servers should not get too easy (or boring) because everything has to be exactly the same as SP.

Why should it be a punishment for non DST players? I would see it rather as an addition to make multiplayer more fun, than a punishment for singleplayers.

Of course you can push those mechanics to the mod developers but pure vanilla servers should not get too easy (or boring) because everything has to be exactly the same as SP.

He said it shouldn't be a punishment for non DST players.

He said it shouldn't be a punishment for non DST players.

Lacost meant "I don't see why it would be a punishment". But you and he and me agree that I can ryhme well it is punishment, since you need to find some buddies to get that extra content.

I'm not sure about the splitting boss but right now, every boss and major adversary can be beaten by one well-prepared player. If DST has any coop element, they must somehow upscale the challenge. A team with 4 Wigfrids, or Wigfrid + Wolfgang + upgraded WX + Werebeaver can slaughter any giant easily. 

Devs may not want to add any multiplayer only feature, but something has to change to make the game at least as challenging as the single player DS.

But you and he and me agree that I can ryhme well it is punishment, since you need to find some buddies to get that extra content.

So it is punishment for the vanilla players to release RoG? Because you need to buy an DLC to get the extra content.

Klei already stated to not add a lot of new features but the original game was designed for Singleplayer. As written above, you are able to kill Deerclops within 10 hits with only 4 normal characters. Even less with Wolfgangs in mighty form.

So I would like to see some cooperative features for MP, which are not enabled in the SP game. For instance Deerclops could freeze you with his first hit and you are only able to get free when a buddy of you hits your frozen character. Otherwise you won't be able to escape and continue the fight.

You can still slay Deerclops in SP and get the "full" content but MP would still be challenging.

So it is punishment for the vanilla players to release RoG? Because you need to buy an DLC to get the extra content.

Klei already stated to not add a lot of new features but the original game was designed for Singleplayer. As written above, you are able to kill Deerclops within 10 hits with only 4 normal characters. Even less with Wolfgangs in mighty form.

So I would like to see some cooperative features for MP, which are not enabled in the SP game. For instance Deerclops could freeze you with his first hit and you are only able to get free when a buddy of you hits your frozen character. Otherwise you won't be able to escape and continue the fight.

You can still slay Deerclops in SP and get the "full" content but MP would still be challenging.

Just to clarify:

Rebalancing is fine with me, yes it's even a necessity. But adding a new boss, as suggested in the original topic, would be extra content, for which you would need to meet further requirements (friends who have DST as well, working LAN/server, all the stuff you need to get patches and dlcs and such) eventhough you paid for it already.

DLCs are solely for additional content, such as more quests, items, maps, advanced features, but the last usually only to integrate the previous better). DST is actually an expansion on the base game, think of it like the caves update(s). Both the caves and DST are not enforced when playing, unlike RoGs seasons and other hazards. Both the caves and DST are intended to be played as part of the normal game (DS generally tries to allow flexible and various play-styles).

But I only wrote all of that because I wanted to point out what differences I see. You should take this as suggestion, not as fact.

I kind of like the idea of frozen players thawing very slowly. (or make the second deerclops attack freeze you again, rather than insta-thawing you, which would require either a kiting or a tanking friend to help you out). It would adjust deerclops a lot more for multiplayer, but also only if DLC is enabled, since he can't freeze you in base DS.

Archived