Adventure Mode Chapter 5 preparation

Hello Forum,

so  finally after many many deaths i did it to Chapter 5. Well, almost because right now i am still in Chapter 4 "The Game is Afoot" and try to prepare as good as possible for Darkness. The 4 pieces are already placed.

I play as WX-78, no RoG and not sure what to take with me:

At the moment i think about:

- 40x Rears

- Mining Helmet (100%)

- Tam O Shanter

- Walking Cane

- Fireflys (i hope to find some more in my world) 

- Bugnet

In Survival Mode i tested, when the Mining Helmet runs out  it just stays at 0%, won't turn into a straw head but i can refill it with fireflys. But 1 firefly refills only round about 30% :( 

The other option would be stack of gold + stack of fireflys + stack of cut gras but then there is no place for the walking cane.

The Tam O Chanter is nice for sanity but i guess with a backup of 40 rears i do not really need it.

Please help me out, i am so scared of that chapter and really want to finish it... :)

Thank you in advance and sorry if there are some mistakes. English isn't my motherlanguage.

Schrammi

I took:

Miner's helmet

Stack of Jerky

Stack of Fireflies

Walking Cane

The jerky will do the same thing as the Tam plus fill hunger and health. When I did it, I pretty much just ran thru and grabbed the things to get it done. Prototype bug nets if you haven't already so you can stock up if you need to. Pick any and all blue shrooms and be sure to cook them up. Eat a Jerky to fix the damage the shrooms do.

I took:

Miner's helmet

Stack of Jerky

Stack of Fireflies

Walking Cane

The jerky will do the same thing as the Tam plus fill hunger and health. When I did it, I pretty much just ran thru and grabbed the things to get it done. Prototype bug nets if you haven't already so you can stock up if you need to. Pick any and all blue shrooms and be sure to cook them up. Eat a Jerky to fix the damage the shrooms do.

Best idea

but since you're WX you might want to consider getting some gears instead of the jerky, since they do literally everything

but, that's your choice.

I'm pretty open minded with the variety of playing styles one can do with characters and Adventure mode vs Sandbox mode on this forum.

However, this specific time is not one of those moments.

And most of you've seen my countless posts (especially you Vets) on Wx-78, so you know I post from a position of experience, including liking him so much, I played him extensively. Including my first AM win  with him. [so I learned (in very painful details) what not to do.] 

After many many many...

(*several days later*)

...many failed attempts previously for months on end. 

(Now, I'll bluntly explain why to those who are missing a vital point (edit: except Toon who posted this while I was replying; of course they were right)  on why the suggestions were dangerous and completely off. After this post, I'll be open-minded again, I promise.

Consider this tough love. ) 

He's playing WX-78!

He does NOT NEED Jerky now!

He does NOT use Reeds or fertilizer or combat enemies for sanity mitigation in chapter 5!

You do NOT STAY STILL in Darkness waiting for grass to grow or meat to dry.

You move, get the Things AND LEAVE!

If it takes you 8 or more days to do it, this is where the Robot makes you all look like chumps as you all go nuts and hungry and weak eating Monster meat!

He eats GEARS for health, sanity AND hunger! 

PERIOD!

If you play WX-78 and do something else in Chapter 5, you do know how to play Wx-78!

Period.

End-of-sentence. 

I apologize if this comes off as rude, but this isn't about how fast or smoothly you may do it, it's about winning.

And having a character who can eat one gear to heal, and restore sanity AND restore hunger is very (without the insanity) Charlie Sheen! :razz:

And Wx-78, becomes overpowered in Darkness in a way Even Maxwell's food dependent status fails even with his Sanity-only tricks (you'll see soon enough Schrammi.) 

(Other readers, if you want to say WX is too OP or "easy mode," that's an acceptable argument indeed. But for an "easier" way to win the hardest thing in AM, this is EXCEPTIONALLY recommended for new Darkness players who (for whatever reason) chose Wx-78!

Play to each character in Don't Starve's  strengths, and this is its strength. And it=robot, not he/she. Survive to the epilog and you'll see I'm right here too.)

So, that's what you do when playing WX. Get the Things, assemble them in the Wooden Thing and run, non stop!

But what do you take with you into Darkness to do this well then?

Take the largest stack of gears you can get, (including not pre-building ANYTHING with gears,) the walking cane and the Tam O Shanter. The fourth item is your choice. But, if you want to hit the ground running, make a metric crapton of nets on your current world and make a MAXIMUM STACK of fireflies, THEN head on over with that as your fourth item.

It will be a LOT easier then running low, having to make a net by killing spiders in the dark for a new net which only catches 10 fireflies, etc. 

I won't spoil it, but you are highly encouraged in Darkness to make a Mining Helmet even if you never made one before. What I WILL remind you is if somehow you made or got one without prototyping a Straw hat, DO prototype a Straw hat. 

See what happens when you take out food/healing/sanity and they become extra items?

"EFFICIENT" would be the one word WX-78 would say. 

Now, as Spencer (and I here repeatedly) said, DO NOT STOP! Find the Things, assemble them in the Wooden Thing and LEAVE! If you have to RUN from enemies to go back a bit later, DO SO! DO NOT FIGHT UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, EVEN IF FULLY UPGRADED!!!

I cannot emphasize that foolish feeling of invincibility mistake I almost made on my almost failed first successful Adventure Mode run.

So, be smart, don't fight unless absolutely bnecessary, get the things and go, munching on gears when (only) needed and lighting up your miner helmet darkness world with that big stack of fireflies.

You'll get through it.

We all did somehow....

*Tough love mode disengaged. Default Human stupidity mode reactivat...HEY! OUT OF MY HEAD WX! *

I recently completed the AM as WX and found that you don't have to bring anything to chapter 5, just make sure that you have prototyped all important tools such as bug nets, fishing rods, and gold tools.

In chapter 5, I was blocked by some boulders. I searched the entire map and only found 1 flint but lots of gold. Without the opulent pickaxe I couldn't have completed it.

Thank you very much. 

That i will rush as fast as possible through chapter 5 was already clear for me. 

Thats why i prepared a max stack of 40 gears (had so many robots in Two Worlds and The game is afoot), it will give me enough food, health and sanity for the whole time in chapter5 so i won't spend time on finding or hunting food. 

My WX is also fully upgraded, so i am almost sure that i can't run low on sanity with a backup of 40 gears. Is it so extreme with losing sanity there that the tam o shanter is a must have item? I mean 40 gears means 2000 Sanity.

Even if i would lose 100 sanity  in a full day i still would have 20 days to complete the chapter. 

So now the thing with the fireflys...

A 100% mining helmet nonstop worn almost holds a whole day. Let us say i need 10 days, that means 10 helmets or in other words with the helm  27 fireflys. In a video a saw that there are plenty of them in dark world, much much more than normal.

Of course i prototyped straw hat and mining helmet. But i am afraid of not  finding enough grass. One strawhat needs 12 grass.

That would mean 120 grass, 10 fireflys + 10 gold. Much less fireflys but much more grass. Perhaps a combination of rebuilding and refilling will be the key.

I will look how many fireflys i can find on The game is afoot map. How many of them should i find in one world normaly?

That would mean 120 grass, 10 fireflys + 10 gold. Much less fireflys but much more grass. Perhaps a combination of rebuilding and refilling will be the key.

I will look how many fireflys i can find on The game is afoot map. How many of them should i find in one world normaly?

Nope, that would be a bad idea. Darkness will provide you fireflies in nearly every biome including rocky, swamp and of course forest, which are the three main biomes. Other ressources are pretty scarce. I don't even know if there is a constellation that is throwing you in the world with too less fireflies.

However you will have more troubles to find enough ressources to build a bug net instead of finding fireflies.

Also you will find enough grass for a straw hat in a backpack right at the beginning, so don't bother taking a mining helmet over to the next world, except you don't have anything more valuable to bring with.

I was able to speed through Chapter 5 in 6 days with WX-78. Initially, I didn't know what to expect besides the darkness 24/7. I brought full stack gears, stack of gold, walking cane, and a pan flute.

The gold allowed me to create tools to gather resources if I needed it. And I thought there would be lots of mobs to go through (and I was lucky enough to find mandrakes in the previous map) for the pan flute.

The pan flute actually turned out to be useless since I never needed to use it at all.

The better choice would have been to bring gears, mining helmet, walking cane, and fireflies.

Like truthseeker mentioned, the gears already helps with all 3 stats. You don't have to worry about sanity or anything else. 40 gears is more than enough.

If you didn't bring lots of fireflies, it would be useful to already researched a bug net in your previous worlds. Fireflies are really abundant in chapter 5 and you can easily make a bug net.

With that, all you have to do is speed run the map and look for the things.

Thx 4 your tips. At the moment i am catching fireflys.

My calculation was wrong, thought the max stack  is 20 but it seems to be 40. 

That makes it much more comfortable. 

And one firefly restores 39% of the helm so i should have enough light for ~15 days.

But to be save i think i am going to build a bugnet instead of a mining helmet in chapter 5. No one knows how my world is generated, and i just feel better myself when i start with a mining helmet and a plenty supply of fuel.

Another good thing i noticed is, that it can rain and a overloaded WX + a walking cane ist almost godmode :)

Alright! It's time to bring it to an end! 

Mining Helmet

Walking Cane

40x Rears

40x Firefly

As soon as it gets dark enough outside and i can clearly see everything in the night on my monitor i will start my journey!

OMG..... :hopelessness:  :hopelessness:  :hopelessness:

Thats the message u get when u travel to the next chapter "You survived xx days" So yes beat it and to be true, it wasn't that difficult at all...

There were enough tier 1 spiderdens,so i could easily farm some silk. There was grass and only the saplings were spiked but that wasn't a big problem with 400 HP :) 

So in the first day i was able to catch more and more fireflys.

My pulse was getting down, as i realised that i have all resources i need and how many fireflys there are. They are everywhere. At the end of the chapter i still had the full stack which i took with me from chapter 4 :) 

So day 1 and 2 i just spend on exploring the whole starting area and getting all the recources i needed.

Instead of Sanity Obelisks i had 2x this gold or stone barriers. I guess it was day 3 or 4 as it began to rain and a lightning strike hit me.

As i said before, an overloaded WX + Walking Cane is just extreme. I explored almost 2 biomes in that time, running  between 6 spiderdens, over tentacles, between killerbees...it doesn't matter, he is just too fast :) 

Got the pieces really quickly, i even did not explored 100% of the biomes. Just went to the next biome everytime i found a piece and it worked out perfectly this time.

Never got into big trouble. The most dangerous situation i can remember was the last bridge. Equipped with my mining helmet, walking 

cane and backpack i ran into 3 Clockwork Bishops.

But again with 400 HP and gears easy to handle. 

Bamm Bamm, hunting down the last 4 enemys at the wooden thing and i escaped. I wanted to take the mining helmet with me into the next chapter und suddenly it was really dark. LOL

Again not a big problem, just a little heartattack cause in the first moment i didn't know what was going on.  :) 

So yeah...fireflys,helmet,gears and walking cane was the perfekt setup for me and of course special for WX.

With another character i would choose Walking Cane, Tam O Shanter, Fireflys and jerky.

Thank you again for your help!  :wickerbottomthanks:

Will never forget this feeling, there should be more games like Don't Starve. 

Thats the message u get when u travel to the next chapter "You survived xx days" So yes beat it and to be true, it wasn't that difficult at all...

There were enough tier 1 spiderdens,so i could easily farm some silk. There was grass and only the saplings were spiked but that wasn't a big problem with 400 HP :-)

So in the first day i was able to catch more and more fireflys.

My pulse was getting down, as i realised that i have all resources i need and how many fireflys there are. They are everywhere. At the end of the chapter i still had the full stack which i took with me from chapter 4 :-)

So day 1 and 2 i just spend on exploring the whole starting area and getting all the recources i needed.

Instead of Sanity Obelisks i had 2x this gold or stone barriers. I guess it was day 3 or 4 as it began to rain and a lightning strike hit me.

As i said before, an overloaded WX + Walking Cane is just extreme. I explored almost 2 biomes in that time, running  between 6 spiderdens, over tentacles, between killerbees...it doesn't matter, he is just too fast :-)

Got the pieces really quickly, i even did not explored 100% of the biomes. Just went to the next biome everytime i found a piece and it worked out perfectly this time.

Never got into big trouble. The most dangerous situation i can remember was the last bridge. Equipped with my mining helmet, walking 

cane and backpack i ran into 3 Clockwork Bishops.

But again with 400 HP and gears easy to handle. 

Bamm Bamm, hunting down the last 4 enemys at the wooden thing and i escaped. I wanted to take the mining helmet with me into the next chapter und suddenly it was really dark. LOL

Again not a big problem, just a little heartattack cause in the first moment i didn't know what was going on.   :-)

So yeah...fireflys,helmet,gears and walking cane was the perfekt setup for me and of course special for WX.

With another character i would choose Walking Cane, Tam O Shanter, Fireflys and jerky.

Thank you again for your help!  :wickerbottomthanks:

Will never forget this feeling, there should be more games like Don't Starve. 

I hope you enjoyed the Epilogue. For Science! And congratulations! 

Thx guys! :)

I am thinking about buying the RoG DLC. Will it be possible to create a new world with Maxwell or do i have to complete the Adventure Mode in RoG Style again? 

Another Question:

Storyspoiler:

I have created a new world with Maxwell. If i complete the adventure with him, i will "rescue" WX?
And is Maxwell still unlocked and rdy to play even he is at his old place again?

Congrats on beating adventure mode! It is certainly a nice feeling :-).

If you complete adventure mode with Maxwell he will still be unlocked and WX will definitely be "rescued".

Well actually his WX will die soon after you free him. This kind rescue has a ... terrible price...

Thx guys! :-)

I am thinking about buying the RoG DLC. Will it be possible to create a new world with Maxwell or do i have to complete the Adventure Mode in RoG Style again? 

Another Question:

Storyspoiler:

I have created a new world with Maxwell. If i complete the adventure with him, i will "rescue" WX?

And is Maxwell still unlocked and rdy to play even he is at his old place again?

Well actually his WX will die soon after you free him. This kind rescue has a ... terrible price...

No. Once you Unlock Maxwell, you may play him on any new game, included the RoG Add-On. 

And technically, when you "rescue" your WX, he will turn to dust like Maxwell did, but will subsequently be back in your Sandbox world like Maxwell was. An even swap. (Unless Maxwell is greedy and dies instead in the in AM Epilogue instead of inserting the Diving Rod Key to return to SM. I wouldn't put it past him :razz:

But think of it as "having to die to be reborn outside the Throne" kind of thing. 

Archived