Do you think Don't starve has some resemblance from Gravity falls?

Lately I've been watching a lot of Gravity falls, an amazing show, must admit. But as I watched episode one after another I saw a lot of resemblance with don't starve. In one of the episodes of "Dipper's guide to the unexplained" (I think that's what it was called), Dipper says the quote "For science" which is the same one on the button that you click on after you finish Adventure mode in Don't starve. All the puzzles and stuff is also in Gravity falls. Don't starve was released a year after Gravity falls was started, I think so may be Gravity falls was another inspiration to Klei for DS development?

What do you think? Do you see any other resemblances?

"For Science!" Is actually a pretty common phrase, it exists in a lot of places. 

And the puzzles and stuff, that's what's called an ARG (Alternate reality game) You should probably do a bit more research before making these odd (statements? accusations? theories?)

It's not unfair to propose the theory. I don't know the Gravity Falls series, so I can't comment, but if they were first, then it's not impossible that someone at Klei borrowed an idea or two.

"For Science".. first time I heard that was Dexters' Lab

Oh, and not related: if you were ever the geek that got bullied at school: Dexters' Justice (Did you see the the Iron Man/ Justice League reference?)

Never really mind what I said. I've found many different sources that are in a way related to Don't starve:

Minecraft is self explanatory, even devs themselves said that they got the idea of DS from Minecraft. The refferance is the survival game style of course.

Gravity falls refferance is that both DS and Gravity falls hold secrets which people are very eager to find out about. Mysteries are the refference from Gravity falls here.

Another one I actually kind of noticed a while ago is that the 2D/3D horror game Knock Knock (if you've ever heard of it) has the same artstyle and the same atmosphere as Don't starve, thought one is slightly more scary and the other is more like desperately trying to survive.

I'm not occusing Klei for anything, just refferencing anything that Klei might have got the idea from to create Don't Starve as we know it. Do you guys have any other refferences that you've found?

For Knock Knock and Don't Starve, I don't think it's necessarily that one is directly inspired by the other, it's more that they both share common inspirations (Edward Gorey, Tim Burton, etc), and when two things are heavily inspired by the same stuff, it's pretty inevitable that they'll share quite a few similarities, either visually or thematically.

As for Don't Starve and Gravity Falls (and I love me some Gravity Falls. Second season has been great so far), I don't really see much that's similar between them aside from the presence of the supernatural and ARGs (and ARGs have been around in one form or another for about as long as the internet has existed). Unless Gravity Falls later references something that's uniquely Don't Starve, or vice-versa, I think that any similarities between the two are only superficial. To me, Gravity Falls feels a lot closer to stuff like Twin Peaks and X-Files.

For Knock Knock and Don't Starve, I don't think it's necessarily that one is directly inspired by the other, it's more that they both share common inspirations (Edward Gorey, Tim Burton, etc), and when two things are heavily inspired by the same stuff, it's pretty inevitable that they'll share quite a few similarities, either visually or thematically.

As for Don't Starve and Gravity Falls (and I love me some Gravity Falls. Second season has been great so far), I don't really see much that's similar between them aside from the presence of the supernatural and ARGs (and ARGs have been around in one form or another for about as long as the internet has existed). Unless Gravity Falls later references something that's uniquely Don't Starve, or vice-versa, I think that any similarities between the two are only superficial. To me, Gravity Falls feels a lot closer to stuff like Twin Peaks and X-Files.

Agreed.

The truth is (now) animated by Disney. 

Archived