Suggestion for PvP - Damage Reduction

Due to the natural imbalance of the various characters with regard to combat abilities, I think it might be worth considering some sort of in-built damage reduction for player-on-player damage.

We already have this with monsters (example, Deerclops does far more damage to other mobs than he does to the player).

I understand some players would like a PvP aspect to the multiplayer game, and it would be a shame if people felt their only options were the characters with potential to deal lethal damage with ease in the first day or two of the game (Woodie/Wigfrid/Maxwell/Wolfgang spring to mind).

It's one thing to use strategy and tactics to eliminate your opponent, it's quite another if by picking character "X", it's an automatic "I win" button vs character "Y" if you happen to meet them in the first couple of days.

To use a recent example of a PvE game introducing PvP: Diablo 3 met with unmitigated failure in their introduction of a PvP mode, even after the introduction of damage reduction.

It will be interesting to see how Klei approach this thorny issue.

I think it is too early to address this issue, from what I understood from fireside chats developers still work on a lot more core features, so it's not the time to address balance, we should probably wait for an alpha release to see what it's going to be like and then we can make suggestions to correct balance.

I definitely agree that damage from PVP needs to be finely tuned. I mean you could literally insta-gib someone with a whole bunch of darts otherwise.

I think all damage items in PVP should be massively reduced, with melee weapons doing more damage than range, but that's just me.

There is actually code for this in the combat component: the function "playerdamagepercent", it's a multiplier that manipulates base damage when hitting a player. For example "playerdamagepercent = .5" halves damage to the player.

I think you'd just have to define that variable for every player weapon to tune them for pvp

EDIT: This is bound to the weapon/atttacking player, not the attacked player.

Archived