How Do You Get Your Food?

How do you get your food?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is your main source of food?

2. 2. How do you prepare your food?

I like to get most of my food from rabbits and honey, I occasionally go hunting for Koalefants, Tallbirds, and maybe fishing....but rabbits and honey is the way to go.

Edit: Since Rabbit holes collapse in ROG in some seasons, for meat I usually hunt spiders for Monster meat,  for crock pot recipes that requires meat (But of course sometimes it can turn into Monster Lasagna.....). Another thing I do (but this is only when I need pig skins or for a last food resort) I make a pig my follower with some monster meat, and then I lead him to attack a Tallbird, or Level 3 or 2 Spider den, unfortunately spiders can eat the meat and skin if I'm not quick enough.  

This is kind of tricky to answer. I use farms, bee boxes, hunt koalephants, spiders and farm werepigs, sometimes even Tallbirds. When my Beefalo herds get too large I like to ring a bell and have Biiigfoot take a bunch out. I haven't killed a rabbit since RoG came out tho!

Then I like to dry all my meat then cook it in a crockpot. Unless I'm on my way to the caves. Then I bring a stack of jerky.

So I answered werepigs and jerky cause that's where I usually get my start. Monster meat is over abundant so converting into fresh meat and a pig butt is a good trade off.

Any source I can get my hands on that will be useful for the next few days however - I like killing spiders because they give me silk which lets me catch bees which lets me make bee boxes which lets me enhance meat in the crock pot/make taffy.

Also monster meat when turned into jerky and fed to a bird becomes an egg a handy way of circumventing the penalties of monster meat - you can keep it in large supplies in your ice box and use it when you need it as a back up or feed it to pigs for werepig meat.

The options are just grand when you start with spiders.

Farmed food in crock pot wins, lol. And I didn't know that till I voted and I had voted exactly for them two XD

Too bad you can't farm in winter, I may have picked that, and for the crock pot, drying racks are more effective in sanity and health (Which I am usually lacking due to my aggressiveness) but not as effective in food (Which I usually have an abundance of.)

Overall I prefer if I find Beefalo and not overhunt them until they reproduce. Their meat is a constant, and I can lure one away from the swarm. Things like birds require using upper-tier weaponry and take down durability too much. For them, I prefer a secondary source using bird traps...especially if the rabbits are closed for spring and i want 1/2 meat morsels. Not a good option for small jerky though as it's random if i get a feather or not and cooking them means no drying. If my world is near a pond, a good dusk (or day if a swamp one) fishing provides me with my fish for fish sticks and leftover small jerky producers (now all the stuff rots in the pots and on the racks. ) Farms are an excellent balance but I seem to overproduce crops if I have as few as 4 Advanced farms...plus, I need manure to replenish them which often comes from the Beefalo anyway. I use both but would choose Beefalo if forced choosing one. 

With food, I love Honey Ham. Anyway with Wigfrid, it helps with using all that "useless unless used as bait" food. But she's sad in Spring, She can't sing (and also) "Kill the Wabbit" whist wearing her Spear and Magic Helmet! :grin:

Overall I prefer if I find Beefalo and not overhunt them until they reproduce. Their meat is a constant, and I can lure one away from the swarm. Things like birds require using upper-tier weaponry and take down durability too much. For them, I prefer a secondary source using bird traps...especially if the rabbits are closed for spring and i want 1/2 meat morsels. Not a good option for small jerky though as it's random if i get a feather or not and cooking them means no drying. If my world is near a pond, a good dusk (or day if a swamp one) fishing provides me with my fish for fish sticks and leftover small jerky producers (now all the stuff rots in the pots and on the racks. ) Farms are an excellent balance but I seem to overproduce crops if I have as few as 4 Advanced farms...plus, I need manure to replenish them which often comes from the Beefalo anyway. I use both but would choose Beefalo if forced choosing one. 

With food, I love Honey Ham. Anyway with Wigfrid, it helps with using all that "useless unless used as bait" food. But she's sad in Spring, She can't sing (and also) "Kill the Wabbit" whist wearing her Spear and Magic Helmet! :grin:

So, it is easier to hunt Beefalo than to hunt spiders for bird traps or are you implying that the birds in this paragraph are Tallbirds?

So, it is easier to hunt Beefalo than to hunt spiders for bird traps or are you implying that the birds in this paragraph are Tallbirds?

Regular birds.  I find Beefalo are easier due to the one mistake with spiders and you're swarmed and have to run (unless you're wearing the equivalent of a marble suit) The amount of birds you have to kill to break even on its own requires a few 3-bump spider nests for the amount of silk...which you'd get the meat equivalent by killing 2-3 Beefalo faster. 

Of course, if you have Tallbirds, I find they are a great filler (only 2 meat and are not spawnable like pigs-werepigs pig houses) for most ingredient needs, but often (unless it's a bird fort) are just too few in number to be viable without traveling all around. 

And if you're trying to kill multiple regular birds, it often requires the traps, or overusing those high-end weapon/magic durability items. And sometimes if you lag and use the boomerang, the hand can come up too late. Very uncommon, but possible. But if you have the abundance of resources, making multiple Boomerangs is another option, then making rabbit, frog,  and (regular) bird regular morsel via combat accumulation a possibility. but that doesn't often happen for 2-3 seasons. 

Of course, this is my view; (everybody's) your approach may vary. 

Regular birds.  I find Beefalo are easier due to the one mistake with spiders and you're swarmed and have to run (unless you're wearing the equivalent of a marble suit) The amount of birds you have to kill to break even on its own requires a few 3-bump spider nests for the amount of silk...which you'd get the meat equivalent by killing 2-3 Beefalo faster. 

Of course, if you have Tallbirds, I find they are a great filler (only 2 meat and are not spawnable like pigs-werepigs pig houses) for most ingredient needs, but often (unless it's a bird fort) are just too few in number to be viable without traveling all around. 

And if you're trying to kill multiple regular birds, it often requires the traps, or overusing those high-end weapon/magic durability items. And sometimes if you lag and use the boomerang, the hand can come up too late. Very uncommon, but possible. But if you have the abundance of resources, making multiple Boomerangs is another option, then making rabbit, frog,  and (regular) bird regular morsel via combat accumulation a possibility. but that doesn't often happen for 2-3 seasons. 

Of course, this is my view; (everybody's) your approach may vary. 

I do see your points, it's also a nice concept, but I wouldn't dare attack a Beefalo... but I would eat their children.

I do see your points, it's also a nice concept, but I wouldn't dare attack a Beefalo... but I would eat their children.

I draw the line at children, since they only give morsels..I mean that's HORRIBLE! :razz:

Seriously, the trick is to (be armored and weapon at the ready when you do this) hit one Beefalo and run away from the herd that attacks you  (preferably towards your base). The others not being attacked will drop away while the one attacked will pursue you longer. Keep running away until there is that one left, then attack it away from other Beefalo. You can choose at this point whether to tank or kite it. There you go: 4 Meat, 3 wool and a chance at a beefalo Horn you'd need to get anyway for a Beefalo Hat for Winter/Mating Season.  

My main food source is the cave. I can kite death worms quite well and each provides me with 4 monster meat, so i always end up leaving the cave with a stack. I use this meat to make werepigs and eggs.

I also have a berry farm, for when i'm low on meat, advanced farms and some beeboxes.

My most common recipes are: bacon and eggs, pierogi, meatballs and taffy.

Any source I can get my hands on that will be useful for the next few days however - I like killing spiders because they give me silk which lets me catch bees which lets me make bee boxes which lets me enhance meat in the crock pot/make taffy.

Also monster meat when turned into jerky and fed to a bird becomes an egg a handy way of circumventing the penalties of monster meat - you can keep it in large supplies in your ice box and use it when you need it as a back up or feed it to pigs for werepig meat.

The options are just grand when you start with spiders.

You don't need to jerk monster meat, just cook it.

You don't need to jerk monster meat, just cook it

I dry monster meat out too. Only takes about a day and lasts much longer than cooking it does!

While playing today after writing that, I figured I could just cook it. Then I thought to myself indeed, why not jerk it and store it that way it lasts far longer than eggs until I need it! Both are good if you need it now or later!

Archived