Help: Character hair/sprite limitations

Hey, everyone! I'm working on a mod for a friend and I'm completely perplexed. He's very particular on certain things and I, for the life of me, cannot get the hair to match up to the way he likes because of what I can only assume are the limitations of the sprite sheet/build file and my own shortcomings.

Here's an example of the hair he'd like, with the fringe at the ends/sides/back:
pIRbO6G.png
Here's the results:
EBVid3P.png

I'm using Willow as a base because Wilson ended up giving his hair this weird bee-hive shape. The pigtails the girls have seemed to have been the perfect solution for the fringe of this guy's hair, but this clipping happens and I have no idea how to fix it. If I reposition it, it looks strange and EXTREMELY uneven when he stands up.

I've found a temporary solution that involves almost little to no fringe, but that's not what he's looking for. I'm pulling out my hair, here! Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this even a thing that can be done? I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!

The color change has to do with the seasonal/dusk-al filters. Less intense colors seem to be less affected. I also suspect standart colors to work better than full-hexcode-color. At least the colors stopped being weird near firepits once I used some from a nDS game sprite.

Have you tried taking a similiar color from vanilla characters? Possibly WX-78 or Woodie?

Use spriter to make the character. Albeit being harder because you have to guess at custom lengths, it will help you. Move that head down too, it's too far up and it doesnät even touch the body..

You're really helpful to everyone :) And this minor info is coming in handy,now :)

Archived