Dingalingaling! Bell Balance.

As most people who own RoG know, the Old Bell is the most destructive weapon currently in the game.

It can also be found only in one area on the map.

Personally, I see so many things wrong with this item in multiplayer.

Problem one: Griefing

Great! I just got finished setting up my base, now im ready for any challenge! Oh hey, theres another player, wonder if they're friendly. Aww, they're playing a cute little bell in my base, how nic-BOOOMCLANGCLASHKAPOWYOWWWWWWWWWW EVERYTHING IS DEAD MY DREAMS ARE SHATTERED.

Problem Two: Glommer camping

The glommer and the bell are very useful resources, and as mentioned above, can create very griefy circumstances.

With this knowledge, and the fact that the glommer/flower only spawn in one area, a player is likely to camp near the statue, and hog it all for themselves. I don't think its very fair for one person to have so much power, just because they happened upon it first.

Problem Three: Bell priority

Maybe the most simple problem to work out, but if two players ring the bell, should multiple Biig Foot's (feet's?) spawn, or would there only be one, and whoever run the bell first gets priority. Personally I dont like either of those options.

So what would be the answer? Multiple statues? No statues? Generic "Yes or No setting" answer?

Post in the comments, and praise the Beaver Lord. Thanks.

Very good points I can't wait to hear some ideas on how to make it work. However I have to disagree about the "I don't think its very fair for one person to have so much power, just because they happened upon it first" part.

Mostly because... well that's how the world works.

well, the griefing problem is not that big, since it destroys everything, but in a very small area. It may do some extra damage to the surroundings, but it mostly only destroys stuff in that very small area. If the player is planning on griefing it would be much more easier and cheaper to just get a torch or a hammer.

the camping thing is not really much of a problem. In my opinion, it's even a nice thing, because it creates more control points the player has to think about where to make the base, the same way there'll be those players with massive beefalo fields shaving all of them as soon as the fur grows back and those who will destroy bee fields and have giant honey farms just for themselves. you have to think about what do you get for setting camp in special places. and also the consequences, in case of a world with pvp enabled.

If you want to stop griefing, you'd need to assign player ownership to certain resources. On PvE servers anything that is "Player-owned" should not be destructible by the Big Foot unless set to be that way with an option. In PvP people will have to suffer I'm afraid. (Though this does make one question how a battle between a new player on the server and an old player with tons of resources would go about.)

Perhaps make Krampus more difficult to deal with, thus preventing players from simply camping the statue and waiting every 18 days for a chance to get their item because the risk of dealing with Krampus is simply too high.

I have no idea aside from those points - but it's a good thing you brought it up OgreCakes!

If you want to stop griefing, you'd need to assign player ownership to certain resources. On PvE servers anything that is "Player-owned" should not be destructible by the Big Foot unless set to be that way with an option. In PvP people will have to suffer I'm afraid. (Though this does make one question how a battle between a new player on the server and an old player with tons of resources would go about.)

making the Big Foot(or any other thing that can destroy structures) unable to destroy player made structures would be a bad way to do it, since it would take away any risk of using said things near these structures, and would feel very artificial

There should remain only one statue per world, I for one like this powerful weapon and the responsibility it adds for the owner (especially in a non-PvP world). However, I do have some balance ideas:

- There will be a cooldown on usage of the Bell, around 2-3mins.

- Bigfoot will still destroy any structure, but the results vary depending if PvP is enabled or not

- In a PvP enabled world, it acts like a hammer and everyone can pick up the loot.

- In worlds without PvP, the destroyed structures will drop all materials used for making them, HOWEVER with a twist. These items are bound to their original creator, so only they can pick them up( for example, destroying Wilson's sign would grant 1 of "Wilson's Boards"). Whilst griefing could still happen, the griefer will be unable to steal the resources and make them think twice about wasting the charges.

There should remain only one statue per world, I for one like this powerful weapon and the responsibility it adds for the owner (especially in a non-PvP world). However, I do have some balance ideas:

- There will be a cooldown on usage of the Bell, around 2-3mins.

- Bigfoot will still destroy any structure, but the results vary depending if PvP is enabled or not

- In a PvP enabled world, it acts like a hammer and everyone can pick up the loot.

- In worlds without PvP, the destroyed structures will drop all materials used for making them, HOWEVER with a twist. These items are bound to their original creator, so only they can pick them up( for example, destroying Wilson's sign would grant 1 of "Wilson's Boards"). Whilst griefing could still happen, the griefer will be unable to steal the resources and make them think twice about wasting the charges.

yeah, but griefing with the old bell is not that viable anyway, since a hammer and a torch are cheaper/faster.

As I am new to the forums of Don't Starve my answers may not be the most correct way of correcting this issue, but hopefully some of people reading this may find it useful.

Solution One: Griefing

My personal thoughts on this are varied, I think that if someone were to plan griefing on the server they are currently located on that they would not wait for multiple full moons, but instead would simply, burn down your house, hammer your house, or destroy the area located around your base.

Solution Two: Glommer camping

I am certain that the most logical solution would be to make an obstacle to insure that the player does not establish in the area, such as a guardian that protects Glommer.

Solution Three: Bell priority

I think in the rare occasion that two players would summon Bigfoot it would create a line of destruction between the players, but as a rare occasion it should be left alone.

P.S. I tried to make sure my paragraph has acceptable grammar, but as it is my first time here I may not have done the best. (I also am interested in some of the emoticons) :snarlingspider:

Archived