Weather.

Goremech

A number of people have talked about the idea of adding weather to the game, hence this discussion thread.

I would like to start by saying although it would be an interesting addition to the game, maybe even a mechanic, BUT:

Do you not think the Addition of weather may Take away the games atmosphere?

I put this question forward for the following reason, As far as we know Wilson (as well as the other characters ) have been trapped in a strange world, or even a limbo like state or possible a different plane of existence,the point am trying to make is that this is not a land we are familiar with, or that we should be comfortable with.

If weather was added it would add a sense of familiarity, maybe even comfort. This would take away from the creepy atmosphere which i believe the games derives a lot of its strength.

For example, Traveling close to the 'coast' you hear wind, and the sound of crashing waves, unnerving but familiar. Travel furthur into the land and delving into the forests, the wind becomes muffeled by the trees, giving it a creepy silence, building up a surreal tension.

Would you Agree? or do you Disagree?

looking forward to responses.

Edited by Goremech
Spelling misstakes
  • Like 1

I'd have to disagree. I think that weather would fill the gap of nothing in the world taking you by surprise or throwing a wrench in your plans, and that the calm before a storm can be just as creepy as the calm in the middle of a forest. But that's just off the top of my head, so I too I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Do you not think the Addition of weather may Take away the games atmosphere?

Au contraire, mon ami. I think weather can be used effectively to create a scarier atmosphere. A nice, heavy rain that reduces visibility and consumes fires faster would add a lot to the creepiness of the game.

Do not get me wrong, i think weather can play as vital a role as music in bringing a scene together, its just i feel weather familiar to our own may detract the games surrealism.Am beginning to think rain would suit the Gothic style, but we already have the drastic loss of viability during the night, to much may give the player a feeling of blindness an dissatisfaction, its hard to enjoy that which you cannot see.

IMO weather would be a good addition magical or not as was stated above. Rain being the most obvious (magical counterpart maybe frog rain or fiery brimstone lol gotta love them acts of god). Also maybe lighting can set fires as part of thunder storms with trees also falling over (free wood if you stumble past it). Floods also an option tho only thing i can think it would do would ruin farm plots and maybe fire pits as it would wash away the stones (floods may be too excessive, it's just an idea). Hail and/or snow is also an idea I had tho i didn't think much into the effects that they would have. I also like the idea above that said weather effects would add different mobs/npcs and rare resources. All in all I am very much behind this idea of weather.

I believe weather elements would be a great idea. I don't know how people feel about "loading screens" but I believe the tent should be a place we can actually go inside and perhaps have a few chests inside when there's severe weather or even when it's just night time. I think shelter needs to be more emphasized in the game.

a place we can actually go inside and perhaps have a few chests inside when there's severe weather or even when it's just night time.

That Would be Brilliant! Christ can you imagine how tense that would be!Not sure how the resource collection or combat would work though? Maybe needs a little work but i like it!

I don't know how it goes for the rest of you, but rain and storm really give me an eerie feel; and though I personally wouldn't want it in most games, for this game I would say bloody absolutely YES for the weather

And as far as *magical* weather goes, the first thing that runs up mind are flying unicorns and frogs vomiting rainbows. But maybe it's just me