Different Coloring for Things?

Wouldn't it be cool if in multiplayer you can see the difference in the smallbirds you own by coloring them. I mean think about it, if at one point you and a couple of friends raise 2-4 smallbirds how will you know it is yours when your around them besides the fact they follow you. Like maybe make a dye from a in-game item like for instance maybe a dark green needs three lichen and a nightmare fuel or something. Then also use a tool to place it onto the smallbird.

Also, if PvP is added you can use these colorings in all sorts of ways. You could perhaps paint your walls so your allies know it's you. You could also just make a team vs. team deathmatch where the colors can seperate teams and I believe that would be cool. You could paint straw hats and go on a hunting trip with your friends.

Also, just PvE in general what if you wanted to impress people you meet by having a luxurious home with coloring and everything. It would make a base of operation feel more like home. Coloring may even provide more sense of accomplishment since you get to truly look upon your masterpiece with glee.

I don't know if you like the idea or not, but it seems something that could be viable and useful in-game.

EDIT: I created another topic in suggestions area.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37340-dont-starve-painting-objects/

It is more fully fleshed out so you should probably go there if you haven't already.

Good idea but I'm not sure. I do like the idea. It adds personalisation, and puts your own stamp on the world you are surviving in. A few questions. How would the dyes/paints be made? What resources would be used and what structure/device will need to be built in order to craft all the different colours? How would we apply it? You said tools, but which tool? Will it be a new item? A brush/roller? Will the dyes/paints stack? Do they have a durability? How many different types of colours are you looking at?

My only concern is if this gets approved, then later on someone is going to ask for the option to face paint our characters, have different clothing, then accessories, then pets, by the time you know it you'll have thousands of Wilson each fashioning a furry set of wings, flowery pyjamas, a fire breathing cow and Don't Starve Together will be turned into another MMO clone trooper.

Good idea but I'm not sure. I do like the idea. It adds personalisation, and puts your own stamp on the world you are surviving in. A few questions. How would the dyes/paints be made? What resources would be used and what structure/device will need to be built in order to craft all the different colours? How would we apply it? You said tools, but which tool? Will it be a new item? A brush/roller? Will the dyes/paints stack? Do they have a durability? How many different types of colours are you looking at?

My only concern is if this gets approved, then later on someone is going to ask for the option to face paint our characters, have different clothing, then accessories, then pets, by the time you know it you'll have thousands of Wilson each fashioning a furry set of wings, flowery pyjamas, a fire breathing cow and Don't Starve Together will be turned into another MMO clone trooper.

Yeah, I would hate to see to much personalisation like you stated, but this could be fine. Maybe you could make a wall roller with like 2 twigs and like 3 grass with some rope? Also, I was thinking that the color could have a corresponding recipe like maybe red is five red mushrooms and volt goat milk or something and green could be like some lichen with nightmare fuel or something. I'm unsure if the dyes should be easy or hard to get imo because it could add such a sense of accomplishment, yet if it is too easy then maybe that feeling won't be present.

EDIT: Paint does go bad so there should be a diminishing food durability? :l Also, buckets of paint I would think don't stack in-game. I also hope Klei never lets that hit the point of total customization because I believe the base characters have a style and that could destroy it and make them seem like mere powerups.

Yeah, I would hate to see to much personalisation like you stated, but this could be fine. Maybe you could make a wall roller with like 2 twigs and like 3 grass with some rope? Also, I was thinking that the color could have a corresponding recipe like maybe red is five red mushrooms and volt goat milk or something and green could be like some lichen with nightmare fuel or something. I'm unsure if the dyes should be easy or hard to get imo because it could add such a sense of accomplishment, yet if it is too easy then maybe that feeling won't be present.

EDIT: Paint does go bad so there should be a diminishing food durability? :l Also, buckets of paint I would think don't stack in-game. I also hope Klei never lets that hit the point of total customization because I believe the base characters have a style and that could destroy it and make them seem like mere powerups.

Interesting. I suggest you refine and add these ideas to the OP. Remember crafting generally involves using 3 different items. Use the Wiki as a template or see my PineShot idea for a simple way to advertise your idea.

Interesting. I suggest you refine and add these ideas to the OP. Remember crafting generally involves using 3 different items. Use the Wiki as a template or see my PineShot idea for a simple way to advertise your idea.

Alright I think I'll use your "PineShot" template in the suggestions and make something similar to that there. I can't right now, but in a day or so I will. Thanks!

Wouldn't it be cool if in multiplayer you can see the difference in the smallbirds you own by coloring them. I mean think about it, if at one point you and a couple of friends raise 2-4 smallbirds how will you know it is yours when your around them besides the fact they follow you. Like maybe make a dye from a in-game item like for instance maybe a dark green needs three lichen and a nightmare fuel or something. Then also use a tool to place it onto the smallbird.

Also, if PvP is added you can use these colorings in all sorts of ways. You could perhaps paint your walls so your allies know it's you. You could also just make a team vs. team deathmatch where the colors can seperate teams and I believe that would be cool. You could paint straw hats and go on a hunting trip with your friends.

Also, just PvE in general what if you wanted to impress people you meet by having a luxurious home with coloring and everything. It would make a base of operation feel more like home. Coloring may even provide more sense of accomplishment since you get to truly look upon your masterpiece with glee.

I don't know if you like the idea or not, but it seems something that could be viable and useful in-game.

EDIT: I created another topic in suggestions area.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37340-dont-starve-painting-objects/

It is more fully fleshed out so you should probably go there if you haven't already.

My crayon box (the mod here) already changes character color. I'll look into doing some of this.

Archived