Don't Starve Painting Objects.

So I was thinking of how amazing it would be if in single and multiplayer we could make coloring for different things.

I hope that the colors added would be the primary and secondary colors.

Red, Yellow (hard to see, but it says yellow), Blue, Green, Orange, and Purple

Note: I hope that this coloring does NOT turn into a full do-over. For example, the characters should not be changeable and same with animals and gear, aka tools. (Beside Chester/Glommer/Smallbirds?)

REASONS: 

1: Adds self-achievement and a personal style to the world.

2: In Don't Starve Together you can prove that you moved up in society.

3: In PvP situations (if they will exist) you can paint your buildings and make a fun arena deathmatch mode with friends.

4: Quote from Tamaza is "I want to be able to paint signs ... so that I can mark wormholes more easily  :-)"

5: Differentiate your pet from other people's pets.

6: Makes a base-of-operation feel more like a defend-able home.

Dyes and paints could be made with a shadow manipulator and prehistahatinator with supplies based on what they are.

Examples: Also, please note that the darker colors would use nightmare fuel as a dark mixture filler and volt goat milk would make a lighter, brighter mixture when done. THEREFORE, there should be two recipes for each with one being light and the other one being darker.

1. Green Dye - 4 lichen, 3 cactus flesh, nightmare fuel/volt goat milk

2. Red Dye - 10 berries, 4 dark petals, nightmare fuel/volt goat milk

3. Yellow Dye - 10 gold nuggets, 6 bees, nightmare fuel/volt goat milk

4. Blue Dye - 7 ice, 5 fish, nightmare fuel/volt goat milk

5. Orange Dye - 10 honey, 5 honeycomb, nightmare fuel/volt goat milk

6. Purple Dye - 5 monster meat, 3 tentacle spots, nightmare fuel/volt goat milk

The durability of these items would operate awkwardly to be honest. But, I believe it should degrade by 5 or 10% per use or make it a degenerating food item because paint does rot over time and becomes unusable.

Also paint should not be stackable.

So you may be wondering how would we apply it?

There should be a roller in game that you can fuel similar to a miner's hat and what you refill it with is what will be used as a color.

The roller should take the following to craft:

A alchemy engine to create and you can make the roller with.

2 boards

6 grass

3 silk

EDIT: SHOOT! Accidentally added the words Don't Starve to the name and I believe I shouldn't of done that and I can't edit it out in full editor. I'm so sorry!

:/ why not just use the gems...cause there is 6 color and there is 6 gems...

Some of the gems take a rather long time to obtain. For instance blue and red are meh sorta common, but the purple gets more rare and so one with the other gems that I believe are found in the ruins. I wanted these to be hard, yet possible for the average person to obtain and be content with.

The suggestiong to differentiate your pet from someone elses pet, made me think we could accessorize Chester. Lets put a big pink polka dotted bow on Chesters head. Chester would hate it, but it would look hilarious. Or give him funny hats.

Strangely, I'd rather items not be paintable.

You might say, "Why not?" and "You don't have to paint them if you don't want to."

I'm not saying I don't want to paint things (I don't, but that's not what I'm saying).

I'm saying, I'm not sure I want Klei investing their time and energy into making things paintable.

Yes, yes, its changing some pixel colors... but there's more to it than that, there's the whole painting mechanics of that have to go into game play... Resources have to be collected to paint things, inks, dies, paint... paint brushes maybe, etc.  And all that has to be programmed into the game for this feature.

Personally, I rather them use their time and energy on adding more interesting content, instead of adding paint brushes into the game and programming the ability for people to make their base rainbow colored.

Strangely, I'd rather items not be paintable.

You might say, "Why not?" and "You don't have to paint them if you don't want to."

I'm not saying I don't want to paint things (I don't, but that's not what I'm saying).

I'm saying, I'm not sure I want Klei investing their time and energy into making things paintable.

Yes, yes, its changing some pixel colors... but there's more to it than that, there's the whole painting mechanics of that have to go into game play... Resources have to be collected to paint things, inks, dies, paint... paint brushes maybe, etc.  And all that has to be programmed into the game for this feature.

Personally, I rather them use their time and energy on adding more interesting content, instead of adding paint brushes into the game and programming the ability for people to make their base rainbow colored.

Nahhh....

Maybe you're right though.

But it would be great because people always like difference and unique style

Just imagine you have to see 4 Willson at the same time (In case that players want to  only play Willson)and  if players have 4 chesters ,but all chesters colors are the same until they could transform their chaster.

That is kidda of boring don't you think?

Archived