Reign of Giants Stream on Joystiq Today at 4 PM EST

• Developer

Hey everyone. Wanted to quickly post and let you know that I'll be going on Joystiq's stream today to hang out and chat about Reign of Giants with Alexander Sliwinski and Anthony John Agnello while they play. It starts at 4 PM EST (about one hour from the time of posting). Here's more info from Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/03/joystiq-streams-turkeys-will-pay-in-dont-starve-reign-of-giant/

EDIT: Archive of the stream is posted at the link above. You can also find it here: http://www.twitch.tv/joystiq/c/4391558

Not just those joystiq people, even seth was bad, i mean really bad. If i was watching the game for the first time i wouldn't buy the game for sure. There should be PR people advertising the game. Devs obviously have no idea how to do that.

I don't know what you are talking about guys. That stream was fantastic. It is not a didactic or commercial like stream, rather purely fun and insightful about producing the game, dev talk, random giggles etc..

If you want to watch and learn DS, there are more appropriate streams and VODs around.  

That was pretty funny, I generally liked the stream. Especially the parts where they talk to Seth and ask him questions. But it absolutely annoyed the crap out of me when they interrupted Seth in the middle of him talking about something FAR more interesting than their generic noob fails.

That was pretty funny, I generally liked the stream. Especially the parts where they talk to Seth and ask him questions. But it absolutely annoyed the crap out of me when they interrupted Seth in the middle of him talking about something FAR more interesting than their generic noob fails.

Exactly, I found the hosts to be VERY annoying, I wanted to hear more insight about the development of it from Seth but they just would not shut up, they were acting like kids on their first sugar high and I'm assuming they're in their 30's from some of the references in the preshow. In my opinion if you are going to review a new DLC/expansion for a game, you should at least be familiar with the base game before doing said interview. It was quite obvious they have barely played DS (e.g. placing a campfire for the night in the middle of a bunch of evil flowers, calling the hounds "dogs", not grasping the sanity mechanics etc etc)

Doing a review of a new DLC should have included most of what the new DLC introduces to the game. Some examples of what was not covered or not covered well are,

1. The giants were not covered.

2. The temperature changes were barely talked about in detail.

3. All the new clothing, barely talked  about. (I think Seth was starting to talk more about it but was cut off IIRC )

4. The different seasons were not shown

5. Some but not all of the new stuff in the overworld was talked about, they said something about the "raccoon" and seth corrected them saying Catcoon but was cut off again I think.

I just found the hosts to be very annoying and wanted to hear more from Seth and have better questions asked, instead of the very vague ones that were asked to him. It was obvious that the joystiq people put very little planning into the review and it showed.

( I might just have been annoyed because I stayed up until 5am to watch that show and might have just been cranky from lack of sleep, but I was disappointed. I can say that I will not be watching any reviews on that website again)

Real problem is Seth stayed so passively. Therefore "kids" dominate the whole stream. I expected more from a developer. I wanted him to say them "shut the hell up, i'm talking" but no.

The thing is: any good game developer wants to keep as much of his fan base as possible. If he told them to shut the hell up, then that'd cut a sizeable chunk out of the fan base - never mind being rude, disrespectful, and downright mean.

And it will be mostly dominated by kids! I'm 18, but I feel that I see many more people younger than that on the forums? Do I care? No! Since it's a child friendly game, it's a novelty that it doesn't try to brainwash children into a certain mindset (take most Cbeebies programs on telly) - when parents see that it's actually not very violent and it's induces creativity (akin to Minecraft), of course they'll buy their kids the game. When I have kids, I'll be damned if I let them play CoD all day.

Seth may have let the kids go wild on the livestream - I don't know; unfortunately, I missed it due to volunteering commitments - but the kids are going excited to see someone they probably view as a "god" (akin to Jagex and Runescape - depending on how much they like the game) playing!

Having worked with children on a voluntary basis for a few years, some of which behavioural disorders caused by severe autism among other things, you cannot tell children to "shut the hell up", especially over the internet - because, you know what? Children test boundaries. If a child oversteps the boundary and no one can properly punish that behaviour, they're going to repeat it and go even further.

Discipline is difficult over the internet, and I'd imagine that Klei wants to keep as much of their fan base as possible.

I apologise for this slightly off-topic rant, but stuff like this has to be said - sometimes solutions to problems can't solve everything, and sometimes what appears to be the best fix causes problems later down the line. I hate being narky. :(

On-topic now, for the next livestream (if you're planning to do one), could you give some advanced warning, if possible? I'm absolutely gutted I missed it! :p

Cheers. ^^

<snip>

Yeah, I agree as well. I think Seth handled himself fine, my gripe is with the hosts. I think it was a wasted opportunity to talk with someone on the inside about the games development and to showcase RoG's additional features. 

Not sure what I was expecting. Hopefully it will sell more copies though. Don't Starve is very under rated.

Underrated? 

This game has sold more than 1 million copies... 

Most gaming companies can only dream of that lol (esp indie games)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/208997/Klei_sold_more_than_a_million_copies_of_Dont_Starve_in_2013.php

(coz it's such a great game)

This game is underrated comparing to its peers like minecraft or terraria.

I don't think we should be comparing this game's popularity to an overrated one hit wonder that is everywhere. Don't Starve will never reach that point regardless, Minecraft is in a whole different ballpark. 

Yeah I was mostly comparing it to other indie survival games that have sold millions on Steam. Most of them aren't even close to being as complete or polished as Don't Starve, many of which will probably become vaporware (sadly) anyways. So I feel like Don't Starve deserves better even if its a bit niche :lemo:

I am crossing my fingers on a billion, no.... *doctor evil pose* one hundred billion sales first week of DST release, together we can crash Klei's web servers!

:spidercowers:

Archived