Character Balance and RoG

So, first off, a brief aside on Reign of Giants. I don't know what the official stance is, but I have heard that the devs aren't sure if they're doing multiplayer for reign of giants. I have but this to say: do it. If you don't, you'll only get confusion, constant questions, suggestions to do it, etc.

Anyway, on to my main point.

I know around the time of "Strange New Powers", the developers said they were okay with certain characters being more powerful than others because it was a singleplayer, noncompetitive venture. Obviously, this has changed.

I believe the characters should be balanced. Perhaps they can keep their single-player balance, but receive multiplayer-exclusive tweaks. Mainly, WX needs to be nerfed a bit, and Willow needs to be made more fun. It's not that she isn't useful, she just isn't FUN. And as of RoG and with cooperation, she'll become even more dangerous with nothing more to provide. Even if she's useful, it isn't too fun to play her. The pyromania is only from the player's end, she does little to encourage it.

I think you shouldn't have to change most of the characters, and only slightly for a few. Keep them unbalanced against each other, because they all bring something to the interesting to the table.

Yeah some characters will be used more than others, but I am sure that happens now in single player. With 4 people on a team, people might pick characters they oringally didn't want to play as.

I also think not too much changing should be in order. As Ridley said people might pick different character then their main. I know i might get some hate for this but I don't play Wilson( though the further i get with other characters the more i envy the ease he gets beard hair) I am sure many players pick him because they feel the need to have a certain source of beard hair but if someone else picks Wilson suddenly you have choices of characters because you still have beard hair. This excites me because it will encourage more players to try more characters.

Fun and usefulness are opinionated. One could find Wilson to be the most useful and fun due to his easy/early beard access and lines, others will disagree with you. It's why character tiers also don't work. 

Do agree on character balance though, if it's needed. The beta of DST will be an excellent time to gather player feedback on the character balance. 

Archived