No increased difficulty

125 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see increasing difficulty ?

• No.
    • Yes, but only for giants and such.
    • Yes, but as an option in the World customization screen.
    • Yes.

I'm not saying this because I want the game easier, but because it makes sense. After all, you'll waste four times more ressources, you'll need four times more food, etc. So please, don't increase difficulty depending of the number of player (I'm speaking about regular mobs like spiders, I agree giants will need a buff).

Actually, know that I think about it, it´s a terrible idea what they are saying. So the game is harder on MP by adding health to giants and monsters, because there´s is more people to fight them? What if I don´t want to be with people? What if I want to live by myself, but still play on a multi-player world because I like the occasional player encounters. I have to deal with a monster with double the health by myself?

This is a stupid idea, people really are just jumping to stuff without really thinking them through.

Sort of agree to this, but there needs to be more on map. More monsters spawned, more hounds or even.....A Varg :) in hounds attacks (not saying an army), more resources then, larger maps probably? It will just feel too "convenient" having more players in a world similar to the base game.

Sort of agree to this, but there needs to be more on map. More monsters spawned, more hounds or even.....A Varg :-) in hounds attacks (not saying an army), more resources then, larger maps probably? It will just feel too "convenient" having more players in a world similar to the base game.

I´m going to carve your eyes out with a spoon...

I´m going to carve your eyes out with a spoon...

You've got serious cannibalism issues :)

On topic: @Malan-Tai there needs to be additions to multiplayer that doesn't make playing as a team easier than if you were alone in Don't Starve base game.

"If" monsters had the same health just imagine how fast 2 (even more so with 4) players can destroy something, if focusing on one target. Just a thought.

Edit: so I think the idea going around now is scaling up. The more players you have the more stronger monsters become.

You've got serious cannibalism issues :-)

On topic: @Malan-Tai there needs to be additions to multiplayer that doesn't make playing as a team easier than if you were alone in Don't Starve base game.

"If" monsters had the same health just imagine how fast 2 (even more so with 4) players can destroy something, if focusing on one target. Just a thought.

But the fact that you have more mouths to feed balances it all out, think how hard that´s going to be! 

And you are not going to be with players ALL of the time, sometimes you´ll want to leave and do your own thing. What then? Do I have to deal with a normal spider that has eight times the health by myself? 

But the fact that you have more mouths to feed balances it all out, think how hard that´s going to be!

And you are not going to be with players ALL of the time, sometimes you´ll want to leave and do your own thing. What then? Do I have to deal with a normal spider that has eight times the health by myself?

But that isn't how "working together" works. If you're going to go Rambo instead of "Avengers Assemble" then either get the job done yourself or play Single player.

Surely if you came across something tough looking, you'll wait for company, or back away and come back with friends later.

Still unsure then....

A compromise to having monster become more powerful, would be to balance in game weapon.

Edit: I also don't believe Klei will make monsters insanely tough just because it's multiplayer. There will be balances all round to make playing together just as fun but just as challenging as playing alone.

But that isn't how "working together" works. If you're going to go Rambo instead of "Avengers Assemble" then either get the job done yourself or play Single player.

Surely if you came across something tough looking, you'll wait for company, or back away and come back with friends later.

Still unsure then....

A compromise to having monster become more powerful, would be to balance in game weapon.

But you can´t expect people to be with you all of the time, even if it is multi-player. If all of my friends are disconnected, you can´t fight one normal spider? You have to wait? That´s ridiculous! There must be a way of living independently. Like in Minecraft, Creepers don´t have super health because it´s multiplayer!

Also, I would like to be able to live on my own, even if it is MP, because I would like to see the occasional player encounter.

If you think about it, killing monsters is harder in some cases with more people. You know how hard it is to kite effectively when people are getting in the way and disorienting you?

Lastly, no, I don´t have a problem with cannibalism. It´s just that you people are weak.... 

If all of my friends are disconnected, you can´t fight one normal spider? You have to wait? That´s ridiculous!

Well either Klei focus on making Multiplayer for the purpose of team work, or they focus on balances for working alone and team work. Again this is something Klei most definitely has sorted or are thinking seriously about.

You know how hard it is to kite effectively when people are getting in the way and disorienting you?

Then what's the point of playing with others if this will happen. So you expect everyone to stand by idly while you tank a monster in game?

Well either Klei focus on making Multiplayer for the purpose of team work, or they focus on balances for working alone and team work. Again this is something Klei most definitely has sorted or are thinking seriously about.

Then what's the point of playing with others if this will happen. So you expect everyone to stand by idly while you tank a monster in game?

1. Probably

2. No, I´m just saying, just because there is more people doesn´t necessarily mean it´s easier.

@TheKingofSquirrels this topic is going way off track.

Final point. If you are basing your assumptions at Don't Starve Together on player made mods you're very mistaken. You can't compare work made by Klei to mods made by one or two people. Not taking any credit away from them, but it's a bit silly to assume Klei will make the same mistakes.

Increasing the difficulty of the game =/= Making the monsters more durable or the players do less damage. This merely adds a certain degree of artificial difficulty, since the actual combat will still be the same. Sure, more chance to take damage to health or sanity but only due to the fact the fights take longer. And exactly what @TheKingofSquirrels said, there will be more mouths to feed AND more materials are needed too. 

I'd have to actually play DST to judge if there needs to be an increased difficulty or not (difficulty imo equals to new attacks for existing creatures that are mostly considered easy, or less food drops to make every bit of food count whilst there is more people that need said food), but for now I too would say there's no need for an increase in difficulty.

@TheKingofSquirrels this topic is going way off track.

Final point. If you are basing your assumptions at Don't Starve Together on player made mods you're very mistaken. You can't compare work made by Klei to mods made by one or two people. Not taking any credit away from them, but it's a bit silly to assume Klei will make the same mistakes.

Read the above comment by Spazmatic.

Can someone please clarify "more mouths to feed" please. The way I see it if gameplay is scaled up based on number of players on the server, I would assume that there would be more resources spawned, due to larger maps, more monsters, more resources etc...

There are hundreds of ways to balance a game to incorporate more players. This isn't an issue until we try out DST as @Spazmatic said. But obviously find ways of rebalancing rather than say what the problems will be, with no solutions.

Edit: as I said earlier, I have complete faith in Klei balancing DST for team based gameplay. I don't think they will make such drastic changes to the game which would make carrying on playing Single player a more viable option.

Unless they hate multiplayer and release some broken online mode, just to satisfy those who asked for it.

I still agree with everything you're saying but "IF" monsters such as spiders are rebalanced then I'm confident other things will be too.

I'm not saying this because I want the game easier, but because it makes sense. After all, you'll waste four times more ressources, you'll need four times more food, etc. So please, don't increase difficulty depending of the number of player (I'm speaking about regular mobs like spiders, I agree giants will need a buff).

I must disagree, I don't want a multiplayer which is hard because we spend all day everyday scavenging for food off monsters which no longer pose any threat. As a team we should be just as cautious taking down a large spider nest as when taking one down on single player. Otherwise PVE will just become a chore rather than an exciting high-risk, high-reward experience.

Actually, wouldn't the difficulty increase itself? You'd use up a heck of a lot more resources trying to get food and craft weapons/items.

That is what we are saying, but there are some people who disagree:

(sorry for the quotes, I don´t how to mention people)

I must disagree, I don't want a multiplayer which is hard because we spend all day everyday scavenging for food off monsters which no longer pose any threat. As a team we should be just a cautious taking down a large spider nest as when taking one down on single player. Otherwise PVE will just become a chore rather than an exciting high-risk, high-reward experience.

Can someone please clarify "more mouths to feed" please. The way I see it if gameplay is scaled up based on number of players on the server, I would assume that there would be more resources spawned, due to larger maps, more monsters, more resources etc...

There are hundreds of ways to balance a game to incorporate more players. This isn't an issue until we try out DST as @Spazmatic said. But obviously find ways of rebalancing rather than say what the problems will be, with no solutions.

Edit: as I said earlier, I have complete faith in Klei balancing DST for team based gameplay. I don't think they will make such drastic changes to the game which would make carrying on playing Single player a more viable option.

Unless they hate multiplayer and release some broken online mode, just to satisfy those who asked for it.

I still agree with everything you're saying but "IF" monsters such as spiders are rebalanced then I'm confident other things will be too.

@TheKingofSquirrels I said I agree. It's in bold.

That is what we are saying, but there are some people who disagree:

(sorry for the quotes, I don´t how to mention people)

Actually, wouldn't the difficulty increase itself? You'd use up a heck of a lot more resources trying to get food and craft weapons/items.

Would you not agree this is such a stale way to keep the game difficult? Don't Starve will become the Tim Burton equivalent of farming simulator... 

Farm all day, monsters now a joke.

Archived