Roof with this DLC

In my view, this is where dlc is really needed more than ever roofs
Stop the rain and be quiet in a house can be perfect
In a world of survival,  how never think a survivor make a house for protect of the rain,etc
Yeah, I know, it looks a bit op, but even pigmen has houses, why we can only have one base?

We have the Siesta Lean-to and the tent. Don't Starve would not be interesting if you were able to build a house. The game doesn't want you to turtle, so there's no point in having roofs or houses. And besides, if you don't like the rain, you can craft plenty of water-proof equipments.

Who builds a house when they're desperately trying to survive? Seriously.

We have the Siesta Lean-to and the tent. Don't Starve would not be interesting if you were able to build a house. The game doesn't want you to turtle, so there's no point in having roofs or houses. And besides, if you don't like the rain, you can craft plenty of water-proof equipments.

People who need to get their priorities straight.

To be fair, someone who is desperate to survive won't build proper farms, fancy hats and walrus tusk-encrusted walking canes either.

True, but even then they build tents and many makeshift items.

And as MeingrossterFan stated, why would someone so desperate build fancy farms, top hats, or walrus tusk walking sticks. A person that desperate to survive would've made or found a walking stick. Also, if Wilson and *insert character here* were that desperate to survive, they wouldn't make perfect looking tool heads for pickaxes, axes, and shovels, it would look like a piece of flint on very flimsy sticks.

Having roofs is all into the survival, guys! In reality you would make them if you could and you needed to survive. In this game you have all the resources but not the ability. Making a roof would be great, as it would mean taking cover from the rain and snow and stuff as well as overheating a bit, frost may be a bit. It would make sense; if a roof is in the game, you might think that when your character is under the roof you couldn't see what the character is doing, right? Well it could be done that once the character is under the roof, the roof becomes transparent, and in order to place one, you need at least one fully built wall to place it on.

Simple enough, right?

You have a problem surviving in a game if you can get 1000 berries?

You have a problem surviving in a game if you can get 1000 berries?

+1 there! Besides, before Wilson was sucked into the creepy world of DS he was living in a nice-ish two-floored house. To think the way it looked he definitely built it himself! Wasn't as fancy as pig houses when we saw it (plus the fact that his house was in the middle of the woods for some reason) but it sure would be comfy and with plenty of space to make sciency experiments!

I could bet Wilson was too absessed with science and knowledge, he never had time to clean his house; I mean come on we saw that broken window and that twisted hedge, lol.

This would be a good idea provided there's challenges with it as well. First, while it would offer better protection from heat, darkness, cold, and rain and the house itself being immune to these things, houses should be more durable. Second, the house should require more maintenance than bases. Third, while houses would protect structures inside it from being burnt, they should be non salvagable if the house gets destoryed and you will die if your inside the house if it gets destoryed

I'm thinking a late-game item which requires several boards, cut stone, lightbulbs etc. and it has bars which measure the resources of the house. You would need to keep all of these bars above a certain amount to be able to use the house. For example:

Boards 9/15: 10/15 minimum required to use the house

Cut stone 11/15: 10/15 minimum required to use the house

Light bulb 7/10: 7/10 minimum required to use the house

These numbers would slowly go down, if all of them go 0/x your house breaks down, and they need to be above a certain number to use the house. Using the house would drain a few of your resources right away. This means: lots of maintenance, high cost, high reward.

All of you are missing the point.

The thing is, the characters are supposed to escape from this purgatory world.

They're not supposed to build a settlement, or begin a family.

They were tricked by the "devil", and now they're trying to escape.

What I'm trying to say is; this is not Minecraft or The Sims.

Wow, we went from roofs to houses! Hei, if we can get roofs, we can design our houses however we want, as long as it's one floored, lol.

Requirements for house building: Walls, Roofs, Floorings

And then you have a house :) juuust need to fill it with stuff.

They already can build farms, scientific apparati, refined dapper clothing, bird cages, and can put down marble and wooden flooring. Building a house is way less ridicolous than any of these things.

If so is the game, we need the option "Suicide" so it will shorten having to run about 10000 days all over the map, I mean, I think it's totally boring run at the same place 100 times, I prefer to make a home, farm , animals, feel comfortable

(This is a game for survive)

Putting in houses is not a good idea. Once your house is up, you would pretty much never have to leave. It would also cancel out all of the hard work that went into making the seasons. If you REALLY want a house, I saw a mod on Steam Workshop called "Wilsons Home" or something like that. It was a full house with goodies inside and everything.

Putting in houses is not a good idea. Once your house is up, you would pretty much never have to leave. It would also cancel out all of the hard work that went into making the seasons. If you REALLY want a house, I saw a mod on Steam Workshop called "Wilsons Home" or something like that. It was a full house with goodies inside and everything.

Never have to leave?

Really?

We need food for surivive, and not is fun never leave of a house

Houses go against the story and feel of Don't Starve. The objective is to find a way out of this hostile, desperate hellhole you were unwittingly dropped into. To do so, you may have to build some things to help you, and it might take some time, but you're not supposed to just accept where you are and "dig in". You don't want to live there, you already have a home elsewhere.

Anyway, a giant would just come by and wreck your house. What good would it be?

Houses go against the story and feel of Don't Starve. The objective is to find a way out of this hostile, desperate hellhole you were unwittingly dropped into. To do so, you may have to build some things to help you, and it might take some time, but you're not supposed to just accept where you are and "dig in". You don't want to live there, you already have a home elsewhere.

Anyway, a giant would just come by and wreck your house. What good would it be?

You know the character can never leave of this world?

And following the logic of the giants ..

Why you eat if you're going to have to eat again later?

You can fix your house 1.000 times.

That's not what we're talking about here, God damn it! You can already create a house!!! But without a roof, which is what we want (check the TITLE if you still don't get it). Roofs would be possible to place above fully upgraded walls and would have three types. One piece of roof would be as big as one turf and would go semi transparent so you can get what you want. Things like Lightning rods would either have to be placed outside or in the house with a place without the roof. There would be 3 kinds of roofs:

Hay roof:

Really small insulation from heat and cold.

Really small protection from rain.

Wooden roof:

Quite small insulation from heat and cold.

Quite small protection from rain

Stone roof:

A medium insulation from heat and cold

100% protection from rain

Now you might think well that's just OP: NO. The roofs can easily be destroyed by mobs that would attack the walls as well, and the insulation and protection from rain isn't postable. If you want your veg and everything harvested you'd need stuff to protect you if it rains and if there is a bad weather as the crops wouldn't be possible to fertilise themselves from the rain if the roof is in the way, especially if it's a stone roof and if you wanted some exploration and giants not wrecking your base; in the end roofs would be mid-game items you can ONLY craft if you have one fully repaired wall placed underneath. Nothing much, plus makes sense and in my opinion would work just fine. Logically the roofs would also need to be repaired as from multiple rains they would start to collapse, meaning they are really bad in Spring.

How's that for an explenation?

I don't know, I like the feel of a base open to the sky, like a fort of your own creation made to withstand the elements of evil. When you start talking about houses (which was what the OP was talking about, make no mistake) it starts becoming more of "What would you do in real life if you were in the DT universe?" I, personally, would commit suicide by hugging a Merm (worth it), but that is just me. 

There is a house mod on the Steam Workshop. I don't know if it is compatible with ROG, though.

You know the character can never leave of this world?

And following the logic of the giants ..

Why you eat if you're going to have to eat again later?

You can fix your house 1.000 times.

Uh, yes you can. Through the teleportato or what have you. And eating is a lot easier than building a house. There's two entirely dissimilar things, not sure what point you're trying to make there.

Archived