Anyone else think Wilson isn't that special anymore?

I'm not talking about this from a balance standpoint on who's better, as Wilson is the base starting character of course (This shouldn't need to be repeated at any point in this thread, not what it's about). But I can't help but think that he doesn't really have any unique qualities anymore compared to the other characters ever since Webber was added.

Before he had this magnificent beard that was what stood out from everyone else, making him a god at surviving winter. But so does Webber, and it provides the same amount of insulation during winter as well as grow faster than Wilson's. The only real difference is the fact that Webber's beard gives silk instead of hair.

I'm not trying to make this a "BUFF WILSON PLOX" thread, I just don't think he's that unique anymore. Wilson's beard was kind of his signature. 

I'm not talking about this from a balance standpoint on who's better, as Wilson is the base starting character of course. But I can't help but think that he doesn't really have any unique qualities anymore compared to the other characters ever since Webber was added.

Before he had this magnificent beard that was what stood out from everyone else, making him a god at surviving winter. But so does Webber, and it provides the same amount of insulation during winter as well as grow faster than Wilson's. The only real difference is the fact that Webber's beard gives silk instead of hair.

I'm not trying to make this a "BUFF WILSON PLOX" thread, I just don't think he's that unique anymore.

Well, I suppose the only bright side is that he still has his crazy W shaped hair and personality :)

It makes it feel less unique, yes. but Wilson is still the only character who can "grow" beard hair. Webber only gets silk.

It's not a whole lot different though. They both provide insulation, and any character could probably get beard hair faster by just farming beardlings (Although that's harder to do now with starving animals). I really don't want this to delve too much into balance though.

It's not a whole lot different though. They both provide insulation, and any character could probably get beard hair faster by just farming beardlings (Although that's harder to do now with starving animals). I really don't want this to delve too much into balance though.

Yes it is similar, but Wilson will always be special. Always.

Seriously though, if webber didnt have the beard, he would have to kill his own spider buddies for silk.

Yes it is similar, but Wilson will always be special. Always.

Seriously though, if webber didnt have the beard, he would have to kill his own spider buddies for silk.

That's a lot faster than waiting 9 days for 6 silk though with how fast spiders respawn. You usually end up killing them anyway either when they decide to run away, or get killed by something else.

That's a lot faster than waiting 9 days for 6 silk though with how fast spiders respawn. You usually end up killing them anyway either when they decide to run away, or get killed by something else.

You kinda have a point, but its better then not getting any silk at all.

Wilson is still unique (mostly) in his own way, but in my opinion i'm pretty sure silk is not going to protect you in real life in winter, i would like it if wetness became a bit harder or filled up a lot faster, and his beard gave wetness resistance. (Read: small or medium resistance)

Wilson is still special, but what i'm trying to say is it doesnt feel special. But even then, he is the very soul of Don't Starve.

I never thought anyone played Wilson because the insulation of his beard...

I never picked him because of that, Wilson is just a cool guy. He has a very neat design, which quickly became the face of Don't Starve and to some extend even Klei's.

He still is the only character with no negative attributes which is a big deal.

I agree that the beard was his signature, but it just play worse for Webber. IMO Wilson is the man (yo), and whenever I play as Webber I feel that he/them/it does not deserve the beard. Also Wilson look more and more badas every beard tier, and Webber don't.  

Also, like the others said, Wilson IS the DS face, he will be forever special in that sense.

I think that anyone who was playing Wilson anyway when Webber came out was doing so because of reasons much different then for his beard. He is basically the only playable character with any kind of backstory besides for Maxwell. It means a lot while playing that you feel as if you are controlling someone with a fleshed-out life, who made a mistake and is paying for it (creating Maxwell's door.)

His beard is a nice touch, but I think if he had just been clean-shaven this whole time it wouldn't change much. 

You sure Webber gets the same insulation from the silk beard?

Hope thats not the case...

Were being able to amass a huge spider army with like 1 piece of meat, being able to eat monster meat without penalties, and having free silk not good enough?

Were being able to amass a huge spider army with like 1 piece of meat, being able to eat monster meat without penalties, and having free silk not good enough?

He also have more hunger and health (175). But the sanity is halved so, idk if its relevant

That is the case. Same insulation, and grows faster. I think it should give protection from overheating instead.

Have you ever played with Webber?

this is one of the reasons that i think they should make something that you can upgrade your character with. i don't know exactly how,but maybe every char should have its tier 2 form with a bit different or with the same powers and abilities but a bit stronger. of course this should be really long time to achieve this.And maybe there should be also something that makes your character eventually lost this tier 2 form. Or a special Medal that also very hard to create/find and it gives your character one more unique ability,maybe?

Well that is one of the possibilities that is unlikely to going to happen but surely sounds great in my opinion

Some guys confirmed that the beard also gives cold protection.

Yes, it does, but the way he said like "hasn't he enough" makes it sound like he's a super powerful character, which he is not. You get six silk for shaving, yes it is free but it's 6 silk.

He has plenty of downsides, his beard having insulation is nothing game breaking.

Archived