Make Wigfrid smelly

Alright.. I know you're confused.. But bear with me.

First off, I just want to say Wigfrid is an amazing character. I think she's more fun to play than any other character in Don't Starve. She's so unique, sometimes it hurts.

It hurts because she's so much better than any other character. The game is supposed to make you feel weak and horrible, but Wigfrid's just too capable. The battle helm is a great item that should be more expensive, and so should the battle spear. At first, I only expected Wigfrid to gain health from enemies, but both health and sanity? That makes her a better tank than Wolfgang and Abigail combined. (I found 20 spider dens in the rock biome, and I survived a week eating monster meat and killing spiders)

For the sake of balancing, I want Wigfrid to be smelly. More specifically, I want her to attract monsters more easily, and so that the hound spawn rate is more frequent. As an incredible performance artist, I expect her to sweat more in her acting, so it makes sense. That's why I also want her to overheat more easily, as she puts so much effort into acting.

I think making her have lower aggro ranges could work.

But.. That doesn't make much sense. She literally screams all the time, so I'm not sure where you got that idea from.

I think the smelly thing has a nice ring to it.

• Excels in Battle
  • Gains Power from fallen
  • Is smelly

And yes, the title is awesome. I know.

She definitely is very strong. As a 'performance artist' one would expect that her roleplaying while being trapped on a deserted island might be a sign of losing grip with reality. Maybe her sanity should decrease each time she goes too much into her valkyrie role?

But.. That doesn't make much sense. She literally screams all the time, so I'm not sure where you got that idea from.

I think the smelly thing has a nice ring to it.

• Excels in Battle
  • Gains Power from fallen
  • Is smelly

And yes, the title is awesome. I know.

I think she meant larger. And I agree, she'd attract monsters easily.

This actually makes sense because she is probably in constant ketosis from all the meat eating (although she can technically eat honey recipes), and that does make you smell different.  /fridge logic

She definitely is very strong. As a 'performance artist' one would expect that her roleplaying while being trapped on a deserted island might be a sign of losing grip with reality. Maybe her sanity should decrease each time she goes too much into her valkyrie role?

Wigfrid's motto is "A test of my incredible acting!", and it doesn't have her "ö" accent. Although it seems like she's prone to lose her grip on reality, it's more likely that she's just overembracing her role as a valkyrie (literally up to death). From the accent-less motto, I think we can assume that she's more of a performer who wants to test her acting skills, rather than a delusional roleplayer who pretends to be a valkyrie. There's a fine line between acting and roleplaying, just saying.

This actually makes sense because she is probably in constant ketosis from all the meat eating (although she can technically eat honey recipes), and that does make you smell different.  /fridge logic

Aww yeah. High-five for science!!

Wigfrid's motto is "A test of my incredible acting!", and it doesn't have her "ö" accent. Although it seems like she's prone to lose her grip on reality, it's more likely that she's just overembracing her role as a valkyrie (literally up to death). From the accent-less motto, I think we can assume that she's more of a performer who wants to test her acting skills, rather than a delusional roleplayer who pretends to be a valkyrie. There's a fine line between acting and roleplaying, just saying.

Wow, I hadn't noticed that - good catch!  She definitely strikes me as a total method actor.

Fun fact: to many Asians (in Asia), Americans smell like sour milk because of the high dairy content in American diets.  We truly are what we eat !

Wigfrid's motto is "A test of my incredible acting!", and it doesn't have her "ö" accent.

Is that they way valkyries should speak? I thought that the pronunciation thing was some kind of an inside joke. 

Although it seems like she's prone to lose her grip on reality, it's more likely that she's just overembracing her role as a valkyrie (literally up to death). 

Like you have nothing else to do while struggling for your life than to care about some job you had while living in a normal society before you ended up on a danger infested island.

From the accent-less motto, I think we can assume that she's more of a performer who wants to test her acting skills, rather than a delusional roleplayer who pretends to be a valkyrie.

There is a line between dressing up in a costume and acting in a theatre or performing in front of the cameras and doing stuff in a normal situaction. When you pretend something then you're acting. When you're running around with a freakn' battle spear, stabbing monster and feasting on their sould afterwards then you've pritty much become a valkyrie.

The oddity in her behaviour lays not in the fact that she thinks she's a valkyrie. She knows she's not. It's about the fact that she thinks she's acting a role on a stage in front of an audience.

I think that's her way of dealing with such a bizzare situation (as waking up on Maxwell's island). If you're doing some weird stuff in reality and tell yourself that 'it's an act' then I think it somehow might trivialize the danger you're facing. After all - it's all performance, so what wrong can happen? Death is only a theatrical death, at least that's what she's might be telling herself.

There's a fine line between acting and roleplaying, just saying.

I just used 'roleplaying' as a substitute word for pretending someone who you're not as in 'playing a role' (not to confuse with people that dress up and go to all kinds of cons).

Imagine a situation when Christian Bale's plane gets crashed and he ends up on a deserted island. After few months he gets somehow rescued as he is found running around in the woods dressed up in something made of leaves and twigs that was meant to imitate Batman's costume and throwing wooden batarangs at local animals. In an interview you would hear "It was a real test for my acting skills!". Personally I would think that he went a bit crazy, just saying.

There is a line between dressing up in a costume and acting in a theatre or performing in front of the cameras and doing stuff in a normal situaction. When you pretend something then you're acting. When you're running around with a freakn' battle spear, stabbing monster and feasting on their sould afterwards then you've pritty much become a valkyrie.

The oddity in her behaviour lays not in the fact that she thinks she's a valkyrie. She knows she's not. It's about the fact that she thinks she's acting a role on a stage in front of an audience.

I think that's her way of dealing with such a bizzare situation (as waking up on Maxwell's island). If you're doing some weird stuff in reality and tell yourself that 'it's an act' then I think it somehow might trivialize the danger you're facing. After all - it's all performance, so what wrong can happen? Death is only a theatrical death, at least that's what she's might be telling herself.

Wow! Thanks for huge response. In a general design perspective, Wigfrid is based around aggressive play, and I don't think her abilities should be based around sanity. I mean, she already has 120 sanity, which is a pretty low base stat. (Oh.. I think I misunderstood your meaning of roleplayer, I mean, roleplayers and actors are completely different) I generally agree with what you have to say, especially in the part where you stated that she believes that she's playig a role in a performance, which serves as a coping mechanism. 

Wow.. Wait.. I just realized something.. WAIT HWAT??

Everything is starting to make sense.. It seems that Maxwell transported Wigfrid to his world while she was acting her part in the play/movie, that explains her "acting". She doesn't know that the world of Don't Starve can kill her, she probably believes that it's all part of the stage.

This explains why she's so powerful even as a performance artist, because of the placebo effect..

Her determination to embody her role is responsible for increasing her strength..

sg017lt.gif

Sounds too much like Woody.

Also: the hell is this thread. So, you've both agreed that Wigfrid thinks she's still in the play and not on a remote island? It seems more feasible that she simply thinks she's become a Valkyrie - at least, going by her quotes.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Wigfrid_quotes

The point of her thinking she's still in a play would suggest the first character in Don't Starve to be entirely mentally ill. Can someone articulate the finer points of this consensus? 

The point of her thinking she's still in a play would suggest the first character in Don't Starve to be entirely mentally ill. Can someone articulate the finer points of this consensus? 

I'm so sorry. I don't know how this thread came to be.

I wish we could talk about how smelly Wigfrid should be.. But.. You know.

Do you think she should be smelly? I want to know your opinion.

I'm for her being smelly and I'm also not. Whilst I think it'd be cool for a female character to be le odour, I also wonder if it sums up the character much. I guess she is a bit of a brute, so the whole odour thing might just suit her, but I also wonder if her major drawback should come from her arms or her severe psychosis. 

..I also wonder if her major drawback should come from her arms or her severe psychosis. 

Nice. ..I think that we should forget the implications that she's literally insane or just misled.

Ignoring my various speculations, Wigfrid is not the character I would imagine to have a major sanity drawback. She plays as a blood-thirsty carnivore Valkyrie, it's not in her character to be delusional. Wigfrid is my favourite character in Don't Starve, she's so weird from a meta-perspective.

As the Wiki points out, Wigfrid is a jack of all trades. Her sanity doesn't compare to Maxwell's; nor her strength to strongman; nor her resistance to Woody. Her combo is pretty sick, but so is any of her perks to any extreme. 

The only neat thing she has that no one else does is the lifesteal. 

Wow, what!? I've never been so proud to see a women so smelly. (Seriously did you make this? Looks hilarious!)

I just spawned Maxwell's smoke (for when he spawns in the introduction of a map) and made it green :razz:.

It looks quite a bit like a fart, since it spreads from the character and then upwards.

If this is not a joke-type of a thread then maybe we should reconsider this idea. How about giving her that large area aggro ability but describe it as a 'loud battlecry' that taunts enemies from afar rather than... a stink cloud  :livid:

It was originally centered around Wigfrid's tendency to attract nearby monsters, along with the increased frequency of hounds, but the thread turned out this way. I'm pretty proud of this thread in general, in all honesty. The scientific and physiological evidence behind my theories actually work (in some sense).

Archived