Explosives revamp

Honestly, explosives are kind of bad as of now. You can only use gunpowder, which is a pain to manage in summer with spontaneous combustion if I don't want my base to blow up. They can cause earthquakes and destroy structures, but if you can get close enough to light and place gunpowder then it shouldn't be an issue to fight it. Also, earthquakes happen naturally. Instead, what if you could combine fire darts and gunpowder to make a dart that explodes on impact? Or possibly something more stable than gunpowder, which requires you to interact with it? Overall, I think explosives are bad as of now and some improvements to them would be a great thing to add.

Maybe you could turn gunpowder into some form of TNT by crafting it together with silk and papyrus or something similar. It could be throwable so you don't have to get all too close. Explosive fire dart sounds dangerous. I'd rather have the fire dart made cheaper so it would be a decent option to remotely detonate said TNT. Although that all sounds a bit, Iunno.... unfitting for Don't Starve, at least the TNT part. But I agree, more should be done with explosives, aswell as darts.

Or possibly something more stable than gunpowder, which requires you to interact with it? Overall, I think explosives are bad as of now and some improvements to them would be a great thing to add.

Fireworks

But I'm not sure how it would differ in function from the Fire Staff

because without significant difference then it really isn't needed.

=-=-=

2xPapyrus, 1xGun Powder, and 1xStick

Fireworks would do less damage than gunpowder but could be used to shoot at enemies from a distance.

Wet Fireworks might turn into Wet Goop

=-=-=

Maybe you could turn gunpowder into some form of TNT by crafting it together with silk and papyrus or something similar. It could be throwable so you don't have to get all too close.

I suggested the same back in the day.  Papyrus + 3 gunpowder + red gem = throwable TNT.  The red gem keeps it from beeing too easy to get.   Mainly an anti-deerclops thing.   I think right now the best use for gunpowder is also vs deerclops: freeze or sleep him, drop a big pile right by him, light it, problem solved.

The issue with said suggestions is it'd literally be the easiest way of besting all the strongest creatures. Stuff tooth traps if you get TNT that you don't have to fire a projectile at to land and only explodes in the tiniest of diameters.

I don't mind the idea of doing stuff with explosives - like making mini explosive projectiles out of Darts - but keep it mid tier. Any late-game explosives are going to be OP. Just sayin'.  

I don't mind the idea of doing stuff with explosives - like making mini explosive projectiles out of Darts - but keep it mid tier. Any late-game explosives are going to be OP. Just sayin'.  

I don't mean as a viable weapon, necessarily. It's just that gunpowder is unstable, explosive darts would be cool, and gunpowder seems more like a material than an actual bomb. Also, what if there was a bomb that must be planted and activated, for mining large sections of boulders? Or maybe large rocks that require them to be blown up that way? Because explosives certainly need a revamp, and as you said, end-game explosive weapons would be OP. This way, explosives can be used for mining, fun, or risky weapons.

I don't mean as a viable weapon, necessarily. It's just that gunpowder is unstable, explosive darts would be cool, and gunpowder seems more like a material than an actual bomb. Also, what if there was a bomb that must be planted and activated, for mining large sections of boulders? Or maybe large rocks that require them to be blown up that way? Because explosives certainly need a revamp, and as you said, end-game explosive weapons would be OP. This way, explosives can be used for mining, fun, or risky weapons.

Oh yeah, if they could be worked in as an alternative mechanic for exploration/resource-collecting or something non-combat orientated, that'd work. Would be cool, even. A good idea. 

Archived