Just some thoughts - I've mentioned some of this before but I can't find my previous posts.

Alchemy Craftable Item - Paint (redcap + bluecap + greencap)

Allows painting of signs to different colors so that they are more useful on the map

Alchemy Craftable Item - Drawing Paper (paint + paper)

When used on a science machine or alchemy engine would create a blueprint for a selected item. This could allow players to learn how to craft something before they harvested the ingredients.

Alchemy Craftable Item - Shock Gloves - weapon (2x Goat Horn + 4x Electrical Doodad + 2x Mole )

- delivers electric shock to enemy (consumes 9.2 % durability)

- can be recharged/repaired at lightning rod

- recarged/repaired if struck by lightning

- if item is wet using it may cause a lightning strike on wearer

- if user is wet using it deals damage to the wearer as well as the target

Alchemy Craftable Item - Marble Chest (4x Cut Stone + 2x Marble)

- Like chest, but frieproof (also can only be opened by player in case future creatures can take items from out of containers)

=-=-=

Crows should have a small chance to pick up and steal items left on the ground (perhaps not stone items since they would be too heavy) such as Rot, Food, Grass, Twigs, Gems, Electrical Doodads, Wool, this would prevent players from just leaving piles of items on the ground (rot, monster meat, etc). Crows are around all year long and could be used as cleanup in this manner. (Crows also might interfere with farms),

This would result in the desire for a scarecrow type item to drive crows away (or maybe just a catcoon nearby)

I like all of those ideas except crows...

We have enough things to worry about as is, having to build a ton more chests seems like a chore

Disagree. Game is too easy; I love the idea of something messing with our cosy bases. But hey, some of us like to build bases, some of us like a challenge, so let's be conscious of each other, ok? 

I'm not sure about the Power Gloves (sort of like, sort of dunno where they'd fit in tbh or why), and I don't really understand what you're saying about the Blue Prints thing. I mean, what's the point exactly? Yeah, I just don't really get it. 

Disagree. Game is too easy; I love the idea of something messing with our cosy bases. But hey, some of us like to build bases, some of us like a challenge, so let's be conscious of each other, ok? 

I'm not sure about the Power Gloves (sort of like, sort of dunno where they'd fit in tbh or why), and I don't really understand what you're saying about the Blue Prints thing. I mean, what's the point exactly? Yeah, I just don't really get it. 

I get that you'd like more challenges and I'm OK with that, but between the deerclo ps that can destroy your base, lightning and wildfires that can reduce it to ashes, I still think it would become tedious to build yet another defensive structure to protect ourselves from crows and would not really add nothing interesting to the game except being a chore.

The Trolls idea on this subforum is a lot better in my opinion. They can mess with your base big time by stealing it from you. They don't destroy it in any way, just use it. That's the kind of challenge I want...

Micromanaging is not a worthwhile challenge.

Right now I am playing without respawns, I've made it to day 118, and you could argue that makes the game to easy. However, I've been on the edge of death so many times and had some heart thumping moments which made the game exciting. Every accomplishment, like getting a houndis shootius, is a milestone in my games progress.

Let me tell you, the game is hard when you chose not to play with respawns. Most creatures and events feel made to give me some sort of chance, or a be a small break from my frantic hysteria so I don't get cheaply killed. Only un-balanced things to me is the depth worms and rock lobsters; as both is overpowered noticeably.

The giants will be a HUGE threat to me since I have never fought them before, and turning the stupid Deerclops to "More" spawns him every day in winter. And yes, I really do think the new giants are something to fear. Turns out the guardian is a huge threat, and he only has one attack. Imagine what these guys might do.

Right now I am playing without respawns, I've made it to day 118, and you could argue that makes the game to easy. However, I've been on the edge of death so many times and had some heart thumping moments which made the game exciting. Every accomplishment, like getting a houndis shootius, is a milestone in my games progress.

Let me tell you, the game is hard when you chose not to play with respawns. Most creatures and events feel made to give me some sort of chance, or a be a small break from my frantic hysteria so I don't get cheaply killed. Only un-balanced things to me is the depth worms and rock lobsters; as both is overpowered noticeably.

The giants will be a HUGE threat to me since I have never fought them before, and turning the stupid Deerclops to "More" spawns him every day in winter. And yes, I really do think the new giants are something to fear. Turns out the guardian is a huge threat, and he only has one attack. Imagine what these guys might do.

I agree with you completely.

The thing with the crows picking up stuff on the ground sounds very nice and fitting, and since I always put my stuff into chests anyway, I wouldn't care too much :p Though if that were implemented, they only should be able to pick up "lighter" items, like twigs, grass and rope, small stones i.e. rocks and flint, aswell as of course gold nuggets. And they only should be able to pick up one at a time too, their beaks can only hold so much. Of course, they could also mess with your crops, which would then lead to you putting a scarecrow in the middle of your fields. If you ask me, that isn't too much extra micromanaging, and enables you to beautify your farm with a scarecrow.

The electric glove idea I don't know about, the blueprint thing is kinda cool, but I wouldn't want the paint thing to be added. I'd much rather have you be able put symbols on your signs without the need of an extra item, or if any item, use the razor to carve the images. It really shouldn't be so much hassle to put something on bloody signs.

Well imagine playing as WX-78

you haven't found any pigskins yet to make an umbrella, or moles to make a rain hat, but you are going out exploring.

Before leaving you create blueprints for an umbrella and rain hat and learn how to craft them, so that if you find the ingredients while away from your camp you can make them immediately.

Or maybe you want to learn how to make a miner hat before catching fireflies, so you can craft the hat as soon as you catch them.

Or perhaps learn how to craft the lantern before you descend into the caves to find the ingredients needed to make it.

While limited use, there are situations where it could be handy.

But I will admit, I was trying to find another use for paint other than painting signs.

Or perhaps learn how to craft the lantern before you descend into the caves to find the ingredients needed to make it.

That one is valid.  I was pretty happy to find a lantern blueprint in a tumbleweed once, before I'd been to the caves.  Paint though, seems like too much Klei work for what it's for.  Just have a preset set of map symbols for signs that the player can switch between after they'd placed it.

That one is valid.  I was pretty happy to find a lantern blueprint in a tumbleweed once, before I'd been to the caves.  Paint though, seems like too much Klei work for what it's for.  Just have a preset set of map symbols for signs that the player can switch between after they'd placed it.

Well then just make it show on the map view which wormholes connect to which other wormholes.

I don't care how - a number or symbol or anything. I've gotten in trouble because I go through a wormhole thinking it will take me to a certain location and it turns out I jumped in the wrong one. Placing the same colored signs at each end of the wormhole seemed like a nice way to map it.

Well imagine playing as WX-78

you haven't found any pigskins yet to make an umbrella, or moles to make a rain hat, but you are going out exploring.

Before leaving you create blueprints for an umbrella and rain hat and learn how to craft them, so that if you find the ingredients while away from your camp you can make them immediately.

Or maybe you want to learn how to make a miner hat before catching fireflies, so you can craft the hat as soon as you catch them.

While limited use, there are situations where it could be handy.

But I will admit, I was trying to find another use for paint other than painting signs.

Well articulated. I understand now, and agree that it's a good feature to implement so long as it comes at an easy-but-tricky cost. 

The thing with the crows picking up stuff on the ground sounds very nice and fitting, and since I always put my stuff into chests anyway, I wouldn't care too much :razz: Though if that were implemented, they only should be able to pick up "lighter" items, like twigs, grass and rope, small stones i.e. rocks and flint, aswell as of course gold nuggets. And they only should be able to pick up one at a time too, their beaks can only hold so much. Of course, they could also mess with your crops, which would then lead to you putting a scarecrow in the middle of your fields. If you ask me, that isn't too much extra micromanaging, and enables you to beautify your farm with a scarecrow.

The electric glove idea I don't know about, the blueprint thing is kinda cool, but I wouldn't want the paint thing to be added. I'd much rather have you be able put symbols on your signs without the need of an extra item, or if any item, use the razor to carve the images. It really shouldn't be so much hassle to put something on bloody signs.

I like the idea regarding signs and blueprints. The user does have some valid points to add on the subject and I can't really think of any reason to deny the paint on signs change at the very least. 

Refer to response below for Crows thing. 

Micromanaging is what? So, does that mean you wish for the Kiting mechanic to be removed? Dunno how you're going to deal with a Tree Guard that spawns in the first 10 turns then. I do suppose you could run, but there's so little variety in that.

The whole debate about the game being hard without respawns merely suggests that people aren't very careful or thoughtful about the way they play. Playing the Devil's Advocate a bit here, I've never played heavily on respawns anyway since both my partner and I agreed early in the peace that it made games too easy and boring - there is no sense of accomplishment when you die 4 times only to return back to building your wall-fort and mass-plantations. I can understand that no respawns in a location like Caves is rather ballsy, but, like anything else in Don't Starve, if you spend enough time preparing your items and have the patience to do so, there isn't really anything that's "challenging". 

Thing is, there's nothing to stop you from taking all the time in the world to prepare your tech and items and inventories and traps and blahblahblah from tackling anything--and, if you know the game well enough, there really aren't any surprises (weather being the only factor that, from what I know, you can't predict).

Okay, okay, Crows trying to nab everything that you leave in your base etc, is a bit of an overpowered rehash. What about a Dapper Crow unit that likes to periodically follow you around and nab shiny stuffs that drop around you and requires some baiting to rid? What if it collected everything and left it in a nest somewhere or something of the likes? Honestly, if it's only stealing stuff that's left out in the open and not things from chests, then I don't see how it'd require much micromanaging to deal with - just means you need to harvest more boxes.  

Oh, and I doubt Giants will be a big threat. No one has any proof that they will be, and suggesting that a single unit - that's likening to one we already have to face-off against (the Deerclops being a unit that I never encounter anyway, even on "Many" custom settings) - will change everything, is, shrug, I'll buy it when I see it. Deerclops doesn't bother me unless I bother it, so I don't see how the new additions to the family are going to be any different. 

Besides: who would want the Giants to be the answer to mundane/monotonous gameplay? They're meant to be super units--and I don't want super units to be the only harassers in the game. Squirrels, beavers, ostriches, orangutangs, pestilent rats, something smallish, should be responsible for harassing the player - heck, a few smallish things for variety would be good - but not some boss-unit. This would just equate to periodically pooping one's self rather than having any ongoing challenge worthy of thought (since your only option would be to gtfo every time they showed up till OP weaponry became available to easy take them out - in which they'd just become another unit bested by the forte de le mass tooth-traps).   

Oh, and I doubt Giants will be a big threat. No one has any proof that they will be, and suggesting that a single unit - that's likening to one we already have to face-off against (the Deerclops... in which they'd just become another unit bested by the forte de le mass tooth-traps).   

Personally I'm giving klei a little credit for these giants.  I don't think they'll be reskins of deerclops.  And if you have such little experience with deerclops, I feel like you're treating him too cavalierly.  It's true in vanilla he's not too bad.  Especially if you keep a tame treeguard to two around, or just tank him.  But in RoG with his freezing power, he's now much more threatening. 

And I can pretty much guarantee you the dragonfly isn't going to give two manure piles about your tooth trap field.  Not to mention spitting fire everywhere.  And you don't have any proof they're NOT going to be threats.  Nobody has any proof of anything.  We do know deerclops is much more powerful now.  So to me we have EVIDENCE that Klei is paying attention, and not making things simple. 

Quite frankly, I'm thinking that facing off against one giant every season will increase the game difficulty significantly, as long as they have varied strengths and weaknesses.  And maybe at least two are immune to tooth traps.  And ya, you can just bug out and run.  but then you don't get their giant drops, to make unique structures and gear.  So bugging out is lame, and a last resort.

Personally I'm giving klei a little credit for these giants.  I don't think they'll be reskins of deerclops.  And if you have such little experience with deerclops, I feel like you're treating him too cavalierly.  It's true in vanilla he's not too bad.  Especially if you keep a tame treeguard to two around, or just tank him.  But in RoG with his freezing power, he's now much more threatening. 

And I can pretty much guarantee you the dragonfly isn't going to give two manure piles about your tooth trap field.  Not to mention spitting fire everywhere.  And you don't have any proof they're NOT going to be threats.  Nobody has any proof of anything.  We do know deerclops is much more powerful now.  So to me we have EVIDENCE that Klei is paying attention, and not making things simple. 

Quite frankly, I'm thinking that facing off against one giant every season will increase the game difficulty significantly, as long as they have varied strengths and weaknesses.  And maybe at least two are immune to tooth traps.  And ya, you can just bug out and run.  but then you don't get their giant drops, to make unique structures and gear.  So bugging out is lame, and a last resort.

Hmm, look, I'd be inclined to agree if I hadn't just spent a whole Winter, last night, ROAMING on the hunt for the Deerclops... I mean, I was LOOKING for the snow-cutey and I found NOTHING. Again, small map (all default settings), no deerclops. You say I should have confidence that the Giants will change this here town for good, but the old sheriff is on the same home team still and he ain't done sh*t.

Hmm, look, I'd be inclined to agree if I hadn't just spent a whole Winter, last night, ROAMING on the hunt for the Deerclops... I mean, I was LOOKING for the snow-cutey and I found NOTHING. Again, small map (all default settings), no deerclops. You say I should have confidence that the Giants will change this here town for good, but the old sheriff is on the same home team still and he ain't done sh*t.

Well, he randomly attacked me today, smashed my meat effigies and then I got bitten to death by bats. You just got really bad luck it seems. (Also, I don't think searching for him will help at all)

Well, he randomly attacked me today, smashed my meat effigies and then I got bitten to death by bats. You just got really bad luck it seems. (Also, I don't think searching for him will help at all)

Oh, really?... Argh, **** it, putting its settings on Most/More or whatever. Sick to death of never seeing the deity of the land. 

As i understand it he only spawns at the end of winter and will spawn near your currently location. You can't 'find him' before he spawns.

...but the old sheriff is on the same home team still and he ain't done sh*t.

See, there you go again commenting on something that you seem to self-admittedly know very little about.  They just changed deerclops to have a freeze attack for RoG.  That VERY MUCH narrowed the options for dealing with him.  In general the Klei thought process for RoG seems to be more difficulty.  It's worth giving them a chance.  

And no you can't "find" him.  Once you hear the moaning start, he will spawn in that area.  If after that moaning starts you go running around looking for him, then you're very likely to not find him - he's not like the hounds where he spawns wherever you happen to be.  The moaning starts, and he will spawn in that area (I think this is to allow the weak-kneed to run away).  Just stay in the same general area and he'll show up.  

And I do agree that it seems very random.  I had a 350 day world where I saw him once, and that was vanilla where it was winter every other season.  I've seen him I think twice in a combined 400 or so days of different RoG worlds, but there's only half the winters in RoG.  Sometimes luck is weird.

See, there you go again commenting on something that you seem to self-admittedly know very little about.  They just changed deerclops to have a freeze attack for RoG.  That VERY MUCH narrowed the options for dealing with him.  In general the Klei thought process for RoG seems to be more difficulty.  It's worth giving them a chance.  

And no you can't "find" him.  Once you hear the moaning start, he will spawn in that area.  If after that moaning starts you go running around looking for him, then you're very likely to not find him - he's not like the hounds where he spawns wherever you happen to be.  The moaning starts, and he will spawn in that area (I think this is to allow the weak-kneed to run away).  Just stay in the same general area and he'll show up.  

And I do agree that it seems very random.  I had a 350 day world where I saw him once, and that was vanilla where it was winter every other season.  I've seen him I think twice in a combined 400 or so days of different RoG worlds, but there's only half the winters in RoG.  Sometimes luck is weird.

Yo, I know all about the freeze ability, so dun be calling me out on such a trivial matter. As we both agree - evidently - the spawning of the Deerclops is currently a bit meh. I am grateful for the advice on not running around like a headless chook (I vant to behold the Great One (Eye)), but it doesn't help that I only hear the moaning every 20th Winter. 

So, point is: okay, Deerclops got a buff. Deerclops can truly "smash", but it really don't matter if I never see the bugger! That's what I mean by "So what if you got a buff? You still dun impress'a'me much~". 

Yo, I know all about the freeze ability, so dun be calling me out on such a trivial matter. As we both agree - evidently - the spawning of the Deerclops is currently a bit meh. I am grateful for the advice on not running around like a headless chook (I vant to behold the Great One (Eye)), but it doesn't help that I only hear the moaning every 20th Winter. 

So, point is: okay, Deerclops got a buff. Deerclops can truly "smash", but it really don't matter if I never see the bugger! That's what I mean by "So what if you got a buff? You still dun impress'a'me much~". 

I imagine he doesn't show up all the time because players learning the hang of the game would hate that.

Add that to the 3 extra giants coming, and guaranteed spawns sound annoying.

You may now tell me how dumb the upcoming giants will be. :wilson_wink:

I imagine he doesn't show up all the time because players learning the hang of the game would hate that.

Add that to the 3 extra giants coming, and guaranteed spawns sound annoying.

You may now tell me how dumb the upcoming giants will be. :wilson_wink:

Upcoming giants will be dumb. 

So, copped the Deerclops last night for the first time in... (already covered this minor detail enough), and I was in such a difficult spot in Adventure Mode that I had no choice but to run. 

Now, you see, the point at which the Deerclops became offscreen, it stopped pursuing me and disappeared. Just like that--gone. So, granted my experience (and not a lone one either), I can't take anyone seriously who says that Giants will be a big deal based off the conceptualised hazard that the NEW DE LE IMPROVED DEERCLOPS will bring simply because, well, it brings zero - and I mean zero - danger to me now and it has nothing to do with its combat abilities. 

And I doubt that the Deerclops is balanced entirely around empathy for new players. Krampus scales, Hounds scale, so I see no reason why Giants/Deerclops can't scale in the same manner as to not disgruntle them folk in the initiation line, but also as to not bore the tears off all the loyal customers. 

Upvote the idea of crows taking stuff strewn around on the ground. It's really not that hard to build enough chests to house your stuff.

Also upvote the marble chest. I HATE losing my stuff to fires. I think it should be REAAAAAALLLYYY expensive though. like 15-20 marble minimum. So you'd have to work for the luxury of not having to worry about your stuff burning up.

Archived