Lightning burn buildings

Hey !

I had no idea this could happen. A lighting hit all of my chests and then another hit my science machines and all of the burnable things in my chests got on fire. I knew about the new burning mechanic for building but I did not think that it would apply to ligntning... Silly me ! So this happenned :

http://imgur.com/vHt1XuL

Not complaining, just a warning for anybody who has not thought of this yet. And to think that a deerclop destroyed my base on day 35... Sigh...

I'm not sure if I like all of the micro-managing with this DLC though. Don't get me wrong, RoG is great but sometimes I feel that instead of adding cool new challenges to the game , the DLC just makes every existing challenge increadibly tedious. I feel I'm taking the longest time to do anything now without any sense of accomplishment. Maybe it's just because the challenges are so numerous and with the season change, you're always struggling to do anything and don't have enough time to do everything.. Maybe it's because I'm not used to the new challenges yet so I have to keep adapting and loose so much time in the process. 

This situation is a great exemple, I did not know about lightning hitting buildings and now I'll loose 2-3 days building a decent base again.

One thing I'm afraid of is that giants will make matters even worse. Time will tell..

Did it happen to you as well ? What do you think of all the new challenges ? Are they overwhelming ? Are some of them tedious ?

lol i felt that way at first. not enough time to do things. but on my old save on the vanilla version i have completely dominated that world with absolutely nothing to do. so with all these new things to do each day and not enough time to do everything is starting sound pretty good in the long run. by the way did anyone run into the circle of spider dens??? its terrible. like 6, 3 tier spider dens in a circle. i ran into at night with a torch and died in like point 4 seconds

I honestly didn't feel like the new challenges are tedious at all. The only thing that got a bit more annoying is resource gathering, especially stones, since you seem to need a few more of them with the introduction of the electrical doodad. But alas, two days spent in a Tallbird field and I had enough for at least another year, so that wasn't too horrible. Other than that, after a little bit of getting used to the situation, the game went just as fluently as it did before, just with more things to mess around with and some new challenges to work with.

Also, I always put a lightning rod next to my base, even in vanilla. It's just an old instinct after burning to death in a lightning strike.

Thanks for your opinions guys ! I'll be playing some more, I think that feeling I had was just because I've got my base destroyed twice in less than a game week so the ressource gathering is quite tedious.

Part of a good RoG base strategy appears to be spreading out your structures so that if one starts on fire, it doesn't burn your whole base down.  That or prepare to have a lot of flingers.  At least they're not too bad to refuel now, from what I can tell.

I had nearly the same thing happen.  I had three shiny new chests and was trying to prototype/build a lightning rod while dodging frog rain... at night... with hounds growling in the background.  Before I could finish the task, lightning struck and burned up my chests.  All I could think at that point was "Welp..."  XD

I don't really think it's micromanaging.  I think it only might feel that way since there are so many new things to learn and adapt to.  This is something I really like, even in situations like the above.  Don't Starve is all about the discovery, whether it's discovering what dangers are lurking, what resources might be useful and how they'll be useful, what can be crafted, how to survive or even thrive, etc.  I feel like I had more or less mastered the original version.  Now I'm back to not knowing most of the nuances and strategies.  There are things I haven't yet come across or experienced.  I just found my first volt goat the other day!  I'm loving it, even with the bugs and balancing tweaking and missing giants.  It'll be even more fun as things get ironed out =)

the lightning mechanic was already in place in the vanilla game 

Yes but chests and building could not be burned down !

I had nearly the same thing happen.  I had three shiny new chests and was trying to prototype/build a lightning rod while dodging frog rain... at night... with hounds growling in the background.  Before I could finish the task, lightning struck and burned up my chests.  All I could think at that point was "Welp..."  XD

I don't really think it's micromanaging.  I think it only might feel that way since there are so many new things to learn and adapt to.  This is something I really like, even in situations like the above.  Don't Starve is all about the discovery, whether it's discovering what dangers are lurking, what resources might be useful and how they'll be useful, what can be crafted, how to survive or even thrive, etc.  I feel like I had more or less mastered the original version.  Now I'm back to not knowing most of the nuances and strategies.  There are things I haven't yet come across or experienced.  I just found my first volt goat the other day!  I'm loving it, even with the bugs and balancing tweaking and missing giants.  It'll be even more fun as things get ironed out =)

That sums it up quite nicely I think ! Thanks for sharing !

Archived