Trapped Animals Should Have a Starvation Timer

Since you're adding a starvation timer to animals in the inventory and birds in the birdcage, could you do the same for animals that are trapped? This could fix the exploit of having a savannah full of rabbits ready to be harvested whenever convenient.

Also, if this is implemented, players will likely set up tooth traps instead to simply kill the rabbits right away and then come back in a few days to collect the meat. How about making crows capable of eating morsels that are left on the ground? This would line up with difficulty and realism since crows do in fact eat meat.

Why am I suggesting these difficulty increases, forum users? The way I see it, RoG is trying to make survival a constant struggle. There's not an effective way to make longterm provisions (i.e. rotting crockpots and drying racks and aggressive bee boxes). The seasons are more difficult now. And we'll be getting dangerous giants that hunt us down, as well as giants we accidentally hunt down (i.e. the warg). Might as well keep with the theme

• Developer

Thanks for the suggestion! We're definitely planning on making creatures in traps start to spoil. Because of the way traps work, the creatures don't actually exist while they're inside the traps, so it's a bit tricky. But it's coming, so people will definitely have to adjust their strategies again.

As for the tooth traps: food left on the ground spoils faster than anywhere else, so I'm not terribly concerned about that being an exploit. But good thinking!

Crows eating meat would be cool, regardless. We'll see if we have time :)

I fully support this!    Are traps flammable btw?  given their contruction they should be maybe the most flammable item in the game.

I love this trend as it seems like we're almost to the point of no single food source being the end-all be-all!  

Between the angry spring bees and hopefully a giant at least, which will raid bee hives, that may address the honey one (winter innactive, spring angry, autumn giant raider (?), leaves summer as the only 'worry free' season). 

Koalefant may be a little more difficult with addition of Warg.  Harder to track in spring.

Now just make bird cages less OP - either by making the bird perishable or limiting the eggs per day to 1 or 2, and they'll just about all be addressed!  Farming starts to look fairly attractive again.

Crows eating meat would be cool, regardless. We'll see if we have time :-)

It would also be interesting if having too many drying racksin one place attracted vultures and they could pick the meat off the rack.  Though given that it spoils now maybe it's balanced enough.

• Developer

I fully support this!    Are traps flammable btw?  given their contruction they should be maybe the most flammable item in the game.

I love this trend as it seems like we're almost to the point of no single food source being the end-all be-all!  

Between the angry spring bees and hopefully a giant at least, which will raid bee hives, that may address the honey one (winter innactive, spring angry, autumn giant raider (?), leaves summer as the only 'worry free' season). 

It looks like traps are not currently flammable. We'd definitely like to add that, but it will require some amount of special case handling for full traps, so we might not get to it for a bit.

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the changes we're making!

And don't worry, there will be worries in summer. Just wait.

I suppose if we're gonna go full on threshing new animal mechanics, I personally was planning to pen in rabbits and moles in grass walls. I personally think this should be acceptable since they get to munch on everything contained in the pen. Also, I used to do this anyway since I left Chester at home so he wouldn't die. He started to get lonely so I found him a bunch of animal friends.

As long as they don't spoil as fast as they currently do I'm fine with it. I don't want to leave a trap in the morning to find the animal dead when I come back in the evening, that would make no sense and it would make the game tedious. You'd have to put your traps and wait for animals to be cought to get them immediatly so that they don't die. That would be a ridiculous waste of our increasingly precious time

Alternative to spoilage:  have the animal destroy the trap slowly over time.

So if you put down a trap at 100% a rabbit will destroy 25% per day of that, after which it escapes (and the trap is destroyed). Spiders destroy it at 50% per day.

If a trap is destroyed, it leaves a wreckage you can salvage for a part of the resources.

Alternative to spoilage:  have the animal destroy the trap slowly over time.

I quite like that idea. although the percentages seem slightly high. I'd probably just go just 1 durability per day for rabbits and 2 for spiders (I like to kill the spiders anyway).

I quite like that idea. although the percentages seem slightly high. I'd probably just go just 1 durability per day for rabbits and 2 for spiders (I like to kill the spiders anyway).

Bah! I quoted the wrong person. Anyway, I do like the idea of the animals wearing down the traps instead of dying inside.

I suppose if we're gonna go full on threshing new animal mechanics, I personally was planning to pen in rabbits and moles in grass walls. I personally think this should be acceptable since they get to munch on everything contained in the pen. Also, I used to do this anyway since I left Chester at home so he wouldn't die. He started to get lonely so I found him a bunch of animal friends.

I love this idea of pens to solve the problem. I can just imagine a small pen of thirty rabbits or so scurrying away from me as I come at them menacingly waving my mutton!

Archived