Maxwell is such a great musician!

• Developer

How hard would it be to program in a piano?

What do you mean, exactly?

A bit of extra information about the tumbleweeds: the way that it works right now is that the tumbleweeds play a sound when the player gets near them. In code, we just tell FMOD to play a sound event when the "player is close" function. Then FMOD interprets that and picks a random one of the few sounds in that category. In short, we don't have direct control over the sounds that play with the tumbleweeds themselves.

That said, I can definitely imagine making a mod where interacting with various different things plays specific different sounds. Basically, a piano!

What do you mean, exactly?

A bit of extra information about the tumbleweeds: the way that it works right now is that the tumbleweeds play a sound when the player gets near them. In code, we just tell FMOD to play a sound event when the "player is close" function. Then FMOD interprets that and picks a random one of the few sounds in that category. In short, we don't have direct control over the sounds that play with the tumbleweeds themselves.

That said, I can definitely imagine making a mod where interacting with various different things plays specific different sounds. Basically, a piano!

That's awesome. How do you judge the range of distance between when the 'player is close' and-

I better stop XD

I probably won't end up doing it, due to the fact I'll have to learn the language and how to peek around the files, but I might see what I can do about a 'piano'

The question remains. Making it like the tumbleweeds or a proper piano.

• Developer

The 'player is close' detection is done using the "playerprox" component. It's found in the data\scripts\components folder of your Don't Starve directory if you want to take a look (the file is called playerprox.lua). If you wanted some help getting started on a piano mod, I bet some folks in the Mods forum would be able to help you out!

The 'player is close' detection is done using the "playerprox" component. It's found in the data\scripts\components folder of your Don't Starve directory if you want to take a look (the file is called playerprox.lua). If you wanted some help getting started on a piano mod, I bet some folks in the Mods forum would be able to help you out!

Ok cool!

I'll probably head over there as soon as I get back to my (*cough*) home/lair where I can begin planning it. I might go make a suggestions thread right now about it though. Might as well go over the top.

Nice chatting with you :)

This is awesome. Did you debug spawn them or manage to trap them? Either way, great idea!

I am honored :grin:

The first tumble weed practically ran into its cage when i just gave it a little extra shove.

The rest I would tell Maxwell to pick them, then stop him from picking it by moving. I would basically stun lock them,  by clicking and pushing them at that point.

Edit: If someone can point me into the direction of a free video camera thing so I can make a video, I would gladly play some notes.

Sounds great but why is there a train sound for the tumbleweeds?

It sounds more like a discorded lonely wind chime of the dry sullen wasteland.

But I am all in favor a mod that has a stampede of discorded trains of the sullen wasteland rushing past before a heavy rainful.

Archived