Mob realism

Don't you think that in reality beefalos and koelephants wouldn't poop without even eating anything? Well, I think they should be eating and pooping less. So they would eat grass and every so often poop and not as often as they do cause that's just annoying with so much manure around and when you're tryjng to take one another one appears. Please change this? I know it'll be harder with the fact that there will be no grass to collect half of the time or so but still, lets be logical? I think thought koelephants should eat carrots and berries as well, same goes for pigs: they poo only every time you give them something like berries or carrots. Better would be if there's a 25% chance for them to poop after eating something and only would poo if you're near by. So not only the goblers be taking berries but also pigs and koelephants. What about rabbits and bunnymen? They should be able to poop ever so often like I suggested for pigs too! May be guano or something. And it's best if the flowers and carrots would regrow on the ground too, because if someone is new to the game, even if they survive for long the carrots won't be possible to find on the ground and there might be no flowers left. And what about the mowls? Why would they eat stones? Better if they ate carrots, mushrooms, berries and seeds. I mean rocks would only be eaten by rocklobsters, it's so illogical! Plus this lead me to an idea: we all know that crows like shiny stuff, right? So what if they could take a gem or a gold nugget that lies on thw ground?

If this isn't included I suppose I'll be able to put it in my mod, but I'd really like if the things I mentioned would be changes at least in the DLC.

If you want the beefalos and koalfants to look more "realistic" you could have them lower their heads to grassy ground and eat the ground's grass. You could have them seek out a turf type with some form of grass on it and the animation would show them eating it. The change would only be visible, but would satisfy the question of where all the poop is coming from. I mean beefalos already look like they're constantly chewing on something so this wouldn't really cause any significant change to their appearance.

*Just so you know I'm saying they should eat turf grass and not grass tufts.

Ehh the troll guy is here -_-

When I said realism I meant that beefalos and koelephants poop manure out of thin air and doesn't even have an eating animation. May be I went a bit too far of suggesting they should eat long grass while still being uncut, but they certainly need an eating mechanism. How about it every so often they had eating animation appear whilst they're on grass, savanna, forest or the other forest and they would look like eating the grass on the turfs (not the turfs themselves). But if you cut a piece of grass and put it near a beefalo the beefalo would come and eat it if its hungry.

When I said realism I don't mean to make it look real but the mechanics, you laughing troll douch!

The balance of the game would be that they eat. That's what I meant with realism and I have no idea what YOU lot were thjnking when I said realism.

At the root of this, ask yourself this question:  Would you rather that Klei spend their limited time adding 'flavor' animations to existing creatures, or  making new creatures, items etc?  They don't have time to do everything.   No sense in trying to fix what ain't broke. 

As a side note, I actually do think beefalo should 'harvest' grass tufts when they come within a certain range of them.  Just to make them compete a bit with the player for grass tufts.  Not that they hunt down every tuft in sight, but if one happens to be within a couple square of them, they should eat it.  But I'd rather klei make more fun animals or whathaveyou instead.

Blooming heck! You know, you make too big deal of this. I've seen a video of how a chicken was animated on an editor and that didn't take muchbtime. This of what I suggested would probably take not more than a day to do. I don't want to argue but it just doesn't look right when something is made out of nothing.

Beefalos definitely need improvement and something old doesn't mean it is nothing. The fact that they can breed means at one point they can become too much at one point. What needs to be done is that really old beefalos would just die from old age in order to not to overpopulate the map. Not sure if that's ever happened but surely will if someone's thinking to play long term game. And the fact that they don't eat and make manure: who's idea was this?

Blooming heck! You know, you make too big deal of this. I've seen a video of how a chicken was animated on an editor and that didn't take muchbtime. This of what I suggested would probably take not more than a day to do. I don't want to argue but it just doesn't look right when something is made out of nothing.

Beefalos definitely need improvement and something old doesn't mean it is nothing. The fact that they can breed means at one point they can become too much at one point. What needs to be done is that really old beefalos would just die from old age in order to not to overpopulate the map. Not sure if that's ever happened but surely will if someone's thinking to play long term game. And the fact that they don't eat and make manure: who's idea was this?

If you really want to make them eat to create manure, just make a mod for it. As it stands, the game is pretty well balanced as far as manure production is concerned.

You know that actually would be very interesting notion, if beefalo could be limited by the food supply.  If they each had to eat like, 1 actual tuft every 6 days or starve to death.  And if they starve to death they drop nothing, or maybe just bones (not horn).   And they only reproduce if they've had like, a tuft every 2 or 3 days.  (Although I don't think the reproduction mechanic is necessarily based on individuals, but more herds)   There would then be an upper limit to their numbers.  The player could control it by adding or removing grass tufts to their environs.    Could do the same for rock lobsters, to prevent them from taking over the overworld.  

Ummm... the beefalo already have a chewing animation. It is called graze if I remember correctly. They don't lower their heads but they definitely chew.

As for the eating re-population Brummbar, I dig that idea, but it would require a fair amount of code I think.

Archived