I've noticed that in Don't Starve that flint is nonrenewable and can become scarce if you are on one game for a long time. I think we should prevent the terrible problem it would cause if you end up like me and cannot make tools because you cannot find flint on your world that you have so much progress on. To prevent this I believe that bone tools need to be added. So that almost every animal drops bones. Beefalo = 10 Rabbit = 4 Bird = 2 Bird Thing = 10 Hound = 7 and think of numbers for other creatures I haven't listed because I haven't encountered them yet. I think that the blue prints should be: Bone Axe = 2 Bones 1 Twig - Bone Pickaxe = 4 Bones 1 Twig - Bone Shovel - 3 Bones 1 Twig - Bone Spear = 4 Bones 1 Rope 1 Twig I am not completely sure of the accuracy of these blueprints. I believe that they might need some tweaking before they enter the game. I also think that there should be a new weapon added. The blueprint would be: 3 Bones 1 Rope. This would make a Bone Mace. This would have the effectivity of a spear. I also think that another weapon should be added aswell. The blueprint is: 2 Bones 2 Rope. This would make a Bone Flail. I also have an idea for Bone Armor. This would require 20 Bones and 3 Rope. This would be twice the durability of the logsuit and the same damage resistance. These bone items should have less durability as the original items. (excluding the armor) I am just brainstorming here. i understand if these aren't added. I hope nonetheless that they will be added. If these ideas are added would be amazed that my idea made a difference.

I liked your ideas for bones. They should be dropped from hounds. Don't worry to much for nonrenewable resources as the whole idea will likely disappear when you are moving forward into newly generated "portal progressed" maps. (Story Mode.) But bones might be interesting for temporary ghetto weapons.

Edit: Oh and welcome to the forums!

Edited by Joyousterror

Apparently I need to copywrite all my ideas! ;)

I've noticed that in Don't Starve that flint is nonrenewable and can become scarce if you are on one game for a long time. I think we should prevent the terrible problem it would cause if you end up like me and cannot make tools because you cannot find flint on your world that you have so much progress on.

I came to a similar conclusion, albeit, I was aware that you could switch from flint tools to instead create an infinite number of gold tools, as there is currently a limitless source for gold ore in the game. That being said, flint does have other uses, such as for bee mines, so I suggested that maybe the Devs could create a volcanic island biome that would erupt every once in a while and spew forth several boulders. The player in turn could attempt to mind these resources, at considerable risk to themselves as the island would be a fairly hostile environment, what with the steam vents, lava pools/rivers, and random fires.

Another user even suggested the volcanic island could be where flame hounds come from, with lava pools serving as their spawn point similar to how ponds are the spawn points for frogs.

To prevent this I believe that bone tools need to be added. So that almost every animal drops bones. Beefalo = 10 Rabbit = 4 Bird = 2 Bird Thing = 10 Hound = 7 and think of numbers for other creatures I haven't listed because I haven't encountered them yet.

First off, I agree, it would be great if we could collect bones. A while back I suggested that animals leave bones behind along with their corpse/blood. This was in response to the bunnies being so easy to catch, or simply, if they came close to the "spot" where another rabbit died it would trigger their fear response, thus making it harder for players to free-hand kill (i.e. axe not trap) rabbits.

That being said, that's a lot of bones you're suggesting. I would say maybe cut the number in half. Oh, the "bird thing" is a tallbird. The only other animals with bones that you've missed are Gobblers and pig men. The treeguard wouldn't have bones, the spiders obviously don't either, while I assume the tentacle is a plant, and the frogs... nothing good will ever be made from frog bones.

I think that the blue prints should be: Bone Axe = 2 Bones 1 Twig - Bone Pickaxe = 4 Bones 1 Twig - Bone Shovel - 3 Bones 1 Twig - Bone Spear = 4 Bones 1 Rope 1 Twig I am not completely sure of the accuracy of these blueprints. I believe that they might need some tweaking before they enter the game.

Formula-wise it's probably just simpler to say "replace the flint component with bone instead". In term of durability... maybe the bone tools would break more easily? However I'm not sure bone tools are the best option for every tool. I mean, a bone shovel? And would a bone pick actually work against stone? I think the bone spear suits the use of bone the best overall, as we know it can be sharp (just check out the season finale for "The Walking Dead").

I also think that there should be a new weapon added. The blueprint would be: 3 Bones 1 Rope. This would make a Bone Mace. This would have the effectivity of a spear.

But you already suggested a bone spear, and if it's just as effective... is their a point to the bone mace? And why a mace? Wouldn't it really just be a bone club?

I also think that another weapon should be added aswell. The blueprint is: 2 Bones 2 Rope. This would make a Bone Flail.

Now I'm starting to get D&D flashbacks... :)

I think we can probably do without this invention.

I also have an idea for Bone Armor. This would require 20 Bones and 3 Rope. This would be twice the durability of the logsuit and the same damage resistance.

Mmmm... nah. For me the log suit really does "do the job", and adding another armor that's potentially almost as easy to craft, but at twice the durability, well then no one would bother with log suits anymore. They would just hunt rabbits, collect bones, and create the bone armor.

These bone items should have less durability as the original items. (excluding the armor)

Ah, so we agree on this aspect. The armor of course is another matter entirely.

I liked your ideas for bones. They should be dropped from hounds. Don't worry to much for nonrenewable resources as the whole idea will likely disappear when you are moving forward into newly generated "portal progressed" maps. (Story Mode.) But bones might be interesting for temporary ghetto weapons.

Hounds would be a good source of bones, and reduce the overall supply of them.

I came to a similar conclusion, albeit, I was aware that you could switch from flint tools to instead create an infinite number of gold tools, as there is currently a limitless source for gold ore in the game. That being said, flint does have other uses, such as for bee mines, so I suggested that maybe the Devs could create a volcanic island biome that would erupt every once in a while and spew forth several boulders. The player in turn could attempt to mind these resources, at considerable risk to themselves as the island would be a fairly hostile environment, what with the steam vents, lava pools/rivers, and random fires.

Another user even suggested the volcanic island could be where flame hounds come from, with lava pools serving as their spawn point similar to how ponds are the spawn points for frogs.

First off, I agree, it would be great if we could collect bones. A while back I suggested that animals leave bones behind along with their corpse/blood. This was in response to the bunnies being so easy to catch, or simply, if they came close to the "spot" where another rabbit died it would trigger their fear response, thus making it harder for players to free-hand kill (i.e. axe not trap) rabbits.

That being said, that's a lot of bones you're suggesting. I would say maybe cut the number in half. Oh, the "bird thing" is a tallbird. The only other animals with bones that you've missed are Gobblers and pig men. The treeguard wouldn't have bones, the spiders obviously don't either, while I assume the tentacle is a plant, and the frogs... nothing good will ever be made from frog bones.

Formula-wise it's probably just simpler to say "replace the flint component with bone instead". In term of durability... maybe the bone tools would break more easily? However I'm not sure bone tools are the best option for every tool. I mean, a bone shovel? And would a bone pick actually work against stone? I think the bone spear suits the use of bone the best overall, as we know it can be sharp (just check out the season finale for "The Walking Dead").

But you already suggested a bone spear, and if it's just as effective... is their a point to the bone mace? And why a mace? Wouldn't it really just be a bone club?

Now I'm starting to get D&D flashbacks... :)

I think we can probably do without this invention.

Mmmm... nah. For me the log suit really does "do the job", and adding another armor that's potentially almost as easy to craft, but at twice the durability, well then no one would bother with log suits anymore. They would just hunt rabbits, collect bones, and create the bone armor.

Ah, so we agree on this aspect. The armor of course is another matter entirely.

Hounds would be a good source of bones, and reduce the overall supply of them.

YOU WATCH WALKING DEAD HELL YEAH I LOVE WALKING DEAD!!!!!

so back on topic I love the idea of bone tools if I was trapped the first thing would be to get a bone and use it as a tool its a wonderful idea I would love it to implemented in the game it would make a wonderful material