Flashlight

The first flashlight was invented in 1899 by a British inventor named David Misell and it ran off dry cell batteries with a brass exterior. Take a look at this thing.

When the Tungsten Bulb was invented in 1904, before even Maxwell wound up in the world of Don't Starve, flashlights became hugely popular with the public. This would give certain men of science and scatterbrained pyromaniacs reason to know what they are and what their basic components are.

Don't Starve could really use some more options in the Light Tab, and this would lend itself extremely well to the game's theme.

Gameplay wise, I'm thinking the beam given off by the flashlight could temporarily stun enemies when it's shone on them. To offset this obvious advantage, the brass would have to be made out of gears.

I think the directional light source idea is really cool. It should probably still give a faint glow/aura around the player though, you know...because of Charlie. I'm thinking an aura similar to fireflies or crock pots, but a pretty decent directed beam...further than radiant light sources.

How about it being really effective against hallucinations? Concentrating the beam on them for a few seconds disintegrates/weakens them (similar to how Maxwell used an illumination spell to ward off the darkness from Charlie). It'd be a must-have for ruin exploration, although I'd imagine (just as Maxwell became exhausted afterwards) it'd use up a substantial amount of power within a short span of time.

Maybe twisting a segment of the flashlight adjusts the scope of the beam (e.g. wide covers a quarter of the screen, narrow concentrates light and isn't great for visibility but counters hallucinations). Another minor effect might include extinguishing nightmare lights. Heck, it could even set anything related to nightmare fuel on "fire."

If that's too easy, perhaps a giant magnifying glass could be added as a structure, which if the beam is shined through would burn anything it targets, sort of like a manual sentry. In that case, the flashlight could have "charges" and while wielding it, clicking on the magnifying glass temporarily directs a certain amount of light through it, the direction based on the player's position relevant to the structure.

Additionally, certain obstacles (like obelisks) could be oriented by the level of light (e.g. a door that opens during the day and closes at night, but when shown with a flashlight will open regardless. This could be extended to making red mushrooms grow at night, etc. Maybe negative light as well, which when shown on hallucinations makes them grow exponentially in size (and eventually explode if sustained for long enough, but if interrupted will leave it much more powerful)? The light setting could be changed through gems (red = normal light, purple = negative light, etc.)

Science!

I.O.U. one like.

I especially like what you said about adjusting the nozzle. The idea about different light via gems intrigues me, but I get the feeling that would be too much happening with one item.

I mean if I was hallucinating,

They're hallucinations in name only, the things that pop up when you go insane are very real and very much made of.. well, I was going to say shadows, but saying nightmares would be more accurate. Also, it'sagamedude.

Flashlights are really very benevolent during any emergency specially in dark. Flashlights used to be very bulky during previous time, but with the advancement in technology lighter flashlights are available recently. These are easy to carry any where and any time. Information shared by you about first flashlight is knowledgeable and commendable.

Archived