Story

Just finished adventure mode on PS4 and it was great and sadly surprising, just like the intro promises. Thing is I really really really like the whole dark plot, which I never thought I'd be into...anyways I was wondering whether any of you know of any books or films with this kind of depressing storytelling.

To an extent I'd suggest the Watchmen graphic novel (not the movie) - the story is similar in the fact that there is pressure on several characters to commit atrocities to keep themselves or others from experiencing the same. It's also one of my favorite books of all time.

And while we're on the subject of graphic novels, "The Killing Joke" is a DC comic series set in an alternate Batman universe where the Joker doesn't exactly play fair (even less fair than normal) to try and get Batman to break. There is controversy on whether or not it works.

This game actually has a good bit of back story, but it's only been revealed through various puzzles that were tied to the updates. You can find the results compiled in this thread: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/24433-william-carters-story-so-farpuzzle-findings-and-lore-compilation/

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed when games (like this one) have a relatively deep story but only reveal it in extra material. I prefer learning a game's story in the game and not having to look at outside sources. But, I guess that's just what happens when you don't want to make a story-heavy game and still have a story to tell. Oh well.

@Sporb Awesome, thanks. Read through the whole thing, guess Charlie still hasnt been captured or whatever...maybe we'll know when the new DLC arrives.

I will be checking out the DC comics, but meanwhile I'm particularly looking for any books without pictures.

I wish the people behind Don't Starve would engage in making a series, even if only one season, with the same theme and animation we see in the game, would be an instant hit. Oh well...

To an extent I'd suggest the Watchmen graphic novel (not the movie) - the story is similar in the fact that there is pressure on several characters to commit atrocities to keep themselves or others from experiencing the same. It's also one of my favorite books of all time.

And while we're on the subject of graphic novels, "The Killing Joke" is a DC comic series set in an alternate Batman universe where the Joker doesn't exactly play fair (even less fair than normal) to try and get Batman to break. There is controversy on whether or not it works.

Read them both, both are true in this regard and excellent reads/highly recommended if you even think of reading comics/graphic novels. 

And if you are looking for a depressing read, Angela's Ashes is your challenge. Try to finish it! 

@Sporb Awesome, thanks. Read through the whole thing, guess Charlie still hasnt been captured or whatever...maybe we'll know when the new DLC arrives.

I will be checking out the DC comics, but meanwhile I'm particularly looking for any books without pictures.

I wish the people behind Don't Starve would engage in making a series, even if only one season, with the same theme and animation we see in the game, would be an instant hit. Oh well...

Charlie and Maxwell were both "seized" if you saw that "Great movie." Even if it has not been detailed, we all know their fate now. 

(And I mentioned that 'without pictures book" above.)

Highly respectfully, DS is too much of a niche game to warrant it a broadcast series. However, it could work as a web series though IMHO. 

@the truthseeker

Oh yeah, read it a while back, my fav book by McCourt. In terms of a possible series, your suggestion is the more preferred one I just wasn't sure how to put it. Not only are the animations and soundtrack ideal for it, I really want to see what the other characters were up to before being seized. Then again they've portrayed them pretty well in the game, we all understand their background somewhat, so if not a web series, at least give us an intro like the one Wilson had.

If anyone got some books on their minds, please do tell...meanwhile I'll be reading up on the Watchmen =)

Archived