Dont Starve Creepiness.

I just want to start off by saying that dont starve is awesome and I love the game. I have the ps4 version.

I love the dark and mysterious tone of the game as well as the artwork as it compliments and places emphasis on the creepy factor. However I strongly believe more can and should be done to bring some more creepiness to this game. 

Maybe make a new biome or varient of the forrest called "Haunted forrest" where there is a constant mist and maybe sounds of creepy children laughing or shadows run across the screen in split second. Maybe there could be a haunted mansion that spawns in the forrest or a witches house or any other type of things along those lines. There could be a sanity drain for being in the forrest and maybe a new type of character that actually gains sanity while being in the haunted forrest. 

I just wish there were some more type of weird and creepy type of things in the game because combined with the artwork it could be so awesome. 

The game itself does not offer any tutorials or guides because it wants players to experience that feeling of being alone and in the woods/wild and that experience can be so much more if some more emphasis was put on it. After you set up camp and build a decent setup I dont find things to creep me out anymore where as when I first played the game looked awesome but that sense of creepiness constantly lingered over and that made it all the more awesome. 

Maybe this character I suggested could be a sort of necromancer who can re-animate dead creatures however it drains his sanity according to how powerful the re-animated enemy was. And sanity regenerates for him while in the haunted forrest while for all the other characters it drains sanity except for Wendy who it would do nothing to because she is used to supernatural presences due to her sister. 

Well, creepy children for a start is a big no for the simple reason is that the creepiness is supposed to come from loneliness.

well I am not really talking about physical children I was thinking more of an audio sequence that sometimes would play in the idea of a haunted forrest. But there is a lot that is pretty eerie about the game besides the loneliness. eg. The thing that kills you in the dark, The hallucinations, The atwork style especially and many more. I think it would just be cool having a type of biome or area such as a haunted forrest. Maybe just limit it to one per world or something.  

well I am not really talking about physical children I was thinking more of an audio sequence that sometimes would play in the idea of a haunted forrest. But there is a lot that is pretty eerie about the game besides the loneliness. eg. The thing that kills you in the dark, The hallucinations, The atwork style especially and many more. I think it would just be cool having a type of biome or area such as a haunted forrest. Maybe just limit it to one per world or something.  

Still, the sound of children would suggest that children are there, which just seems unfitting. And cliche.

Honestly, I don't think a new biome is needed. Do more with the normal forest before adding new types. Possibly more creepy stuff, as suggested.

Well maybe not the children audio, even though it makes it creepy and goes with the theme, but they should add some kind of creepy house and a new character to go with it.  In my opinion, it adds more to  the game. Maybe this house can be very rare, like the door to adventure mode, and if you go inside it you can go on a little adventure just for fun. It would be a huge step, but i'm just sharing possible ideas. That would be cool, just to add something to Don't Starve, for fun and to say I beat the house quest or whatever. 

I Doubt they would put in my idea, but I think they should add in the house idea. 

Graveyards, at least in my mind help with that creepy factor. I mean after all you are on abandoned island where presumably no human (premaxwell) has ever been on it and yet there is a graveyard. The mist and the sanity drain also sound like your haunted forest idea.

Graveyards, at least in my mind help with that creepy factor. I mean after all you are on abandoned island where presumably no human (premaxwell) has ever been on it and yet there is a graveyard. The mist and the sanity drain also sound like your haunted forest idea.

I always presumed they were from Wiltons that other people Maxwell brought there found and buried.

I always presumed they were from Wiltons that other people Maxwell brought there found and buried.

Maxwell's quote from boons seemed to give this theory credence. "Ha! I remember that one!" There were a lot of unfortunate saps before Wilson.

Yes, the armie of Wilson...I mean Wiltons....

sometime I saw them as previous Wilson deads, which he can't remember because he is starting all over again after e real dead without effigy or touchstone....and Maxwell remembers the dead of Wilson at this spot

Oooh, that's a possible idea... I like your thinking,

But who buries them? I don't think that Maxwell wants to get his hands dirty digging some poor saps grave, and the other things on the island would probably just eat the body.

But who buries them? I don't think that Maxwell wants to get his hands dirty digging some poor saps grave, and the other things on the island would probably just eat the body.

The next one who comes along. And then dies. And is buried by the next one.

I just want to start off by saying that dont starve is awesome and I love the game. I have the ps4 version.

I love the dark and mysterious tone of the game as well as the artwork as it compliments and places emphasis on the creepy factor. However I strongly believe more can and should be done to bring some more creepiness to this game. 

Maybe make a new biome or varient of the forrest called "Haunted forrest" where there is a constant mist and maybe sounds of creepy children laughing or shadows run across the screen in split second. Maybe there could be a haunted mansion that spawns in the forrest or a witches house or any other type of things along those lines. There could be a sanity drain for being in the forrest and maybe a new type of character that actually gains sanity while being in the haunted forrest. 

I just wish there were some more type of weird and creepy type of things in the game because combined with the artwork it could be so awesome. 

The game itself does not offer any tutorials or guides because it wants players to experience that feeling of being alone and in the woods/wild and that experience can be so much more if some more emphasis was put on it. After you set up camp and build a decent setup I dont find things to creep me out anymore where as when I first played the game looked awesome but that sense of creepiness constantly lingered over and that made it all the more awesome. 

Maybe this character I suggested could be a sort of necromancer who can re-animate dead creatures however it drains his sanity according to how powerful the re-animated enemy was. And sanity regenerates for him while in the haunted forrest while for all the other characters it drains sanity except for Wendy who it would do nothing to because she is used to supernatural presences due to her sister. 

They both sound like mods from the Halloween challenge. The Waverly mod and the Haunted House mod.

Archived