Alternate Adventure Modes

I've said in the past that I'd like to see more adventure mode levels. But, they shouldn't simply be tacked onto the current adventure mode, so how would they fit in?

Well, recently, it was suggested that, after you beat adventure mode, the other characters would greet you at the start of each world the next time you play adventure mode. What would the other characters be like after they've spent some time on the throne? What would they do? What worlds would they build?

2 + 2 = ...

What if we had a different set of adventure mode levels where one of the other characters played the role of Maxwell? So, for example, we could have Willow on the nightmare throne. She'd be the one to taunt you at the start of each world, so she'd appear in more detail and we would see how she was changed. She'd also be the one who created the worlds in the first place, so perhaps some of the worlds would favor a pyromaniac play-style because of that.

This would give us a reason within the story of the game for different adventure mode levels, and it would allow us to see the playable characters in a new light.

Of course, making a whole set of worlds for each of the characters would be an enormous undertaking and would probably be a bit too much anyway. Maybe these new ones would be shorter, or have some of the old worlds sprinkled in as well new ones? I dunno.

Once a character is put on the throne, They must break the subject first, which often takes years. I don't see how this fits in the canon.

Yes, it would be after the character has been on the throne for years. That's kinda the point. I don't see how this doesn't fit in with canon. If you're saying that it wouldn't make sense for the other characters to still be playing the game after the throne's new occupant has been there for years, see my other post:

'What year is it out there? Time moves differently here.'

Just because it's been XX days for the one returning from the throne doesn't mean it couldn't have been centuries for the one on the throne. I mean, over the course of adventure mode (spoiler)[we see Maxwell deteriorate from his usual dapper self to a raving monster and then to a wasted-away has-been.] I certainly got the impression that a lot more time was passing for him than for me while I was in adventure mode.

I strongly suspect there are temporal shenanigans going on.

Temporal shenanigans, but not in the way you may think it is. 

I think maxwell was referring to the time gap between what goes on in Maxwell's worlds and the real world.

Perhaps. But, again, I must point out Maxwell's 'progression' throughout adventure mode happened rather quickly if time progresses at the same rate for the both of you. I'm not saying that it is definitely like this, but I am saying that I don't see why it couldn't be like this.

I support this notion.

Yay! You're only saying that because I used Willow as an example :razz:

I can, it mixes in well with my Throne Artwork thread (which you've seemed quite supportive of Silent!) Besides, when you have someone held captive it takes a much shorter time to break them than you would think, eons of torture would hardly be necessary to twist someone's mind.

I would suggest that the fifth world, regardless of who's on the throne, always be Darkness. One character (perhaps Wendy) could say something to imply Darkness is a world created by Them and not whoever's on the throne, making it a constant.

I have an idea from a roleplay I was in, but I have others to add on to as well.

Small signs of life

Woodie

Stumps spawn instead of trees, and there are a lot of pig torches scattered out over the land. Birds don't spawn, as well.

Carpet Diem

Wendy

The land is overgrown with evil flowers and filled with graveyards where ghosts can spawn without being dug up.

When you get back to the throne as Maxwell, though, the person on the throne still appears to be struggling. So, I can't fully support this in good faith.

I think that this is tangential to the main idea here.

If another character is put on the nightmare throne, then, at some point, they would master it and start behaving similarly to Maxwell. They could make their own adventure mode and have others attempt to survive it. It would be cool to actually play this. That's what I'm suggesting here.

You wouldn't necessarily be playing as Maxwell returning to the throne. Maybe you just select whether you want Maxwell's Door or Wilson's Door or whatever in the world generation options. It's not really important for us to figure out exactly how it would work, because...

If someone (like Klei) actually wanted to put this in the game, they'd do it their own way, and it really wouldn't that hard for them to make it not conflict with the modicum of canon we have.

I can, it mixes in well with my Throne Artwork thread (which you've seemed quite supportive of Silent!)

Oh, Silent is probably not supportive of this because I'm not very high on his list of favorite people. ;)

I would suggest that the fifth world, regardless of who's on the throne, always be Darkness. One character (perhaps Wendy) could say something to imply Darkness is a world created by Them and not whoever's on the throne, making it a constant.

That would make sense. Of course, I've also heard it suggested that, since Maxwell is kinda associated with darkness and shadows, each character should have their own final world which is somehow related to them. I'm not sure which would work better.

At any rate, I think the chess biome is uniquely Maxwell, so perhaps it should be different when someone else is on the throne? So, for Wilson, there would be some sort of biome filled with mad science contraptions. For Willow, there could be a scorched area with eternally burning fire. Etc.

Perhaps it should be an option after starting a new file? Like after you've gone through Adventure Mode and replaced Maxwell on the Thone successfully, maybe an Option in World Gen (New Puppetmaster) can be toggled, or after clicking start, "Switch to New Puppetmaster?" 

That way if people want to keep Maxwell around they can, or they can have the option of alternate Adventure Modes, which would always be dependent on who's in charge. 

And for icing on the cake, maybe with each chapter they have their own ways of dealing with it. My interpretation was because you were beating Maxwell at his own game he started to lose grip on himself and become more of Their influence? So say with for example Willow, the farther you get the more eternal fires she leaves behind or something.

Just tossing ideas.

whispers I think if you manage to plop Wes on the Throne all the worlds should be in only tones of grayscale and red, and completely silent save for music. 

Archived