Evil Flower Farm Fix (As of now)

Behold. After spending a long time in my testing world, I found a way to keep bees inside Level 2 walls without them branching out beyond it through simple flight.

post-285855-0-23965600-1385813465_thumb.

Here's how I believe it works:

- Bees sometimes travel around level 2 walls, although they go right through level 1 and 3 walls.

- Without any other option to travel, they will likely go through even level 2 walls.

- To avoid this, have a few 1-wall sized routes distributed on all sides of the field.

- Bees will gravitate towards these spots, but realize there's still more flowers to pollinate within the walls, thereby never venturing beyond the gap in the wall.

So, it requires a bit of playing around with, but after leaving my game on for a while and coming back, all 4 of my bees (one of them is behind the evil flower on the top right) were still inside, with the number of flowers increased. Remember, you should already have 6 or more evil flowers within it to keep the bee(s) preoccupied.

Behold. After spending a long time in my testing world, I found a way to keep bees inside Level 2 walls without them branching out beyond it through simple flight.

attachicon.gifDont starve flower farm concept.jpg

Here's how I believe it works:

- Bees sometimes travel around level 2 walls, although they go right through level 1 and 3 walls.

- Without any other option to travel, they will likely go through even level 2 walls.

- To avoid this, have a few 1-wall sized routes distributed on all sides of the field.

- Bees will gravitate towards these spots, but realize there's still more flowers to pollinate within the walls, thereby never venturing beyond the gap in the wall.

So, it requires a bit of playing around with, but after leaving my game on for a while and coming back, all 4 of my bees (one of them is behind the evil flower on the top right) were still inside, with the number of flowers increased. Remember, you should already have 6 or more evil flowers within it to keep the bee(s) preoccupied.

So due to the bees just flying through walls (fix this already dammit Klei) I never tried to maintain an Evil Flower Farm.  

I'm a bit confused on layout here never doning it this way before, so confirming:

Build a level 2 perimeter wall with gaps (one wall-square-sized) to enter and exit on each side? Do I have to make sure Evil Flowers are on said each side? 

And while I'm at it: How many on average can you harvest?  How often can you Harvest?

How many Evil Flowers do you have to keep to let the Bees re-pollinate the farm? Should I keep more than 6 even if that's the "minimum?"

So due to the bees just flying through walls (fix this already dammit Klei) I never tried to maintain an Evil Flower Farm.  

I'm a bit confused on layout here never doning it this way before, so confirming:

Build a level 2 perimeter wall with gaps (one wall-square-sized) to enter and exit on each side? Do I have to make sure Evil Flowers are on said each side? 

And while I'm at it: How many on average can you harvest?  How often can you Harvest?

How many Evil Flowers do you have to keep to let the Bees re-pollinate the farm? Should I keep more than 6 even if that's the "minimum?"

Basically, like a Beefalo pen with more doors in/out. These doors are like corridors, with a space of 1 wall unit to walk through. It should bend sharply to prevent direct passage, like the one on the left in the image. You also don't really need to disperse your evil flowers evenly; I had a bunch of them in the top left corner, but they naturally got distributed evenly across the field.

I would also recommend having around 8, which is to account for the possibility that bees won't create a new flower even after pollinating 6. I haven't tested its productivity, but I'm assuming it's the same as any other farm of a similar size.

Basically, like a Beefalo pen with more doors in/out. These doors are like corridors, with a space of 1 wall unit to walk through. It should bend sharply to prevent direct passage, like the one on the left in the image. You also don't really need to disperse your evil flowers evenly; I had a bunch of them in the top left corner, but they naturally got distributed evenly across the field.

I would also recommend having around 8, which is to account for the possibility that bees won't create a new flower even after pollinating 6. I haven't tested its productivity, but I'm assuming it's the same as any other farm of a similar size.

Yep...seems they don't always make a new one...so 8 is the magic number it seems I should remember...

And completely missed the reason the entrances/exits had to bend as I thought when dropped they would just randomly go to a part of a wall and not try to leave, duhh me. 

I think I can build it now with understanding.

But thanks to fire hounds, I'm just too paranoid not to use stone for walls... 

Thank you though! 

Yep...seems they don't always make a new one...so 8 is the magic number it seems I should remember...

And completely missed the reason the entrances/exits had to bend as I thought when dropped they would just randomly go to a part of a wall and not try to leave, duhh me. 

I think I can build it now with understanding.

But thanks to fire hounds, I'm just too paranoid not to use stone for walls... 

Thank you though! 

Exactly. Give them the opportunity to leave (the method of which you decide, not them), albeit one that's too much effort compared to staying inside the field. This sort of sounds like the premise for an ancient Greek tale.

And yeah, stone for sure. Don't want the walls or your flowers to burn. I only used wood in this case because it produces 8 walls as opposed to 6 (and was made on a testing world anyways).

nice, sometimes the best part of playing games is finding how to master/break/exploit them

i finally came to forums since i thought i had learned most everything i needed to know about the game, but i keep learning new stuff!

good work mang

Yep. 

From the Wiki:

When their link to a beehive is severed - either through catch-and-release or by destroying the hive -, a bee will gain the ability to spawn a new Flower after pollinating a minimum of 6 different Flowers. They can't be forced to spawn Flowers like Butterflies, but will do so every once in a while on their own. Both Flowers and Evil Flowers can be spread in this manner, depending upon which type the bee is pollinating.

Umm... I have 2 bee boxes set up next to Maxwell's door... is that good enough?

No. Read my previous quote again

When their link to a beehive is severed - either through catch-and-release or by destroying the hive -, a bee will gain the ability to spawn a new Flower after pollinating a minimum of 6 different Flowers. They can't be forced to spawn Flowers like Butterflies, but will do so every once in a while on their own. Both Flowers and Evil Flowers can be spread in this manner, depending upon which type the bee is pollinating.

You must catch those bees from your own bee boxes (or destroy a beehive Instead and catch those bees,) then release them in the evil flower zone (and make sure the walls enclose it as listed in the OP or they will simply fly off.) 

What is the spawn rate of the flower growth with 12 bees? 

Not fast enough. I suspect that all the other bees from the boxes slow the flower production process by simply bumping the homeless bees around. I'm going to watch closely and see if production picks up during the winter.

Not fast enough. I suspect that all the other bees from the boxes slow the flower production process by simply bumping the homeless bees around. I'm going to watch closely and see if production picks up during the winter.

Is your base right nearby?

Archived