Creature and Biomes and Food, oh my!

Hi! Decided to post for the first time. Warning, long post, possible ideas have been mentioned before.

Sirens for bridges (because they are empty and take a while to travel sometimes.) They would entrance the characters with song (limited time) and then steal one of your items at random (rarer ones have higher chance of being taken) and defeating one would drop stolen items/feathers/claws/monster!meat/etc.

Vultures can show up when you have low health (maybe 50) and slowly more will come over time. Eventually they will attack when your health drops to 10-15 or when 8 Vultures show up. They follow you as long as your health is under 50. Defeating them drops feathers/monster!meat.

Baby Beefalos. Because if you find a Beefalo herd, you pretty much have an unlimited manure supply for crops, so Baby Beefalos would make collecting manure more dangerous: you get to close to a Baby Beefalo while collecting manure (or just walking in general) and the adults will attack you. Wearing the Beefalo hat will make them follow you and spawn every three days if the herd numbers fall.

Snow only biome can be cold constantly. Perhaps collect ice for igloos, go ice fishing, get chased by Yetis (they could react similar to ents or hounds). Also if its winter everywhere, more yetis can spawn.

Desert biome can have cactus that can be shoveled/axed and if you walk too close to them they hurt. Also the cactus could drop cactus flesh and sometimes prickly pears. Maybe scorpions and lizards could live there? Actually, have a thirst meter maybe? And if there is then would it be for just desert or would it lower faster in the desert?

POTATOES! Ahem...potatoes can spawn like carrots do. But you need a shovel to get them.

That's all I have for now. Sorry if these have been suggested before.

I like the potato idea and the other biomes as well. Would like to see lizard mobs as well! Needs more random growing veggies and fruit besides carrots and berries. Maybe ,if there were squirrels, you could watch them bury their acorns and dig them up!

Lizards in dapper suits.

I mentioned some stuff here earlier among other ideas, and it was suggested I create a thread for this biome specifically, so bear with me if you saw some of this before.

So for a desert biome I thought maybe it can either be its own thing or it could be a result of the savannah going through the seasons. Cacti, lizards, scorpions and vultures can inhabit the harsh environment. Maybe termites? That could be interesting if you unknowingly make camp near a nest (eating your chests and log armor! Itching pants! Okay, I'll stop before getting too silly.)

Clothing could have insulation properties so you can cope with the desert heat better.

Also a thirst meter can be created, whether for everything or just this biome.

Lizards can live under rocks and have a chance of being disturbed while you mine. Alternately, you could anger a scorpion.

Vultures will follow if you're close to dying (thirst meter, hunger, health, a combination of all three.)

That's all I'll say here for now I guess, my original post had more info, you can find it in this thread: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?2950-Biomes-Red-hot-desert-ruins-and-creatures

Originally from mobius187.

Sirens for bridges (because they are empty and take a while to travel sometimes.) They would entrance the characters with song (limited time) and then steal one of your items at random (rarer ones have higher chance of being taken) and defeating one would drop stolen items/feathers/claws/monster!meat/etc.

Personally I think bridges are a stop-gap measure to allow us to travel from island to island until they have a better solution *cough* boats/rafts *cough*. That being said, another user suggested a creature that would rob you, namely a troll. And of course Kevin has also hinted that we will need to be wary of "theft" in the future... and that was connected I believe to the strange creature... the Krampus... (goat-man who kidnaps/punishes bad children).

Vultures can show up when you have low health (maybe 50) and slowly more will come over time. Eventually they will attack when your health drops to 10-15 or when 8 Vultures show up. They follow you as long as your health is under 50. Defeating them drops feathers/monster!meat.

This sounds similar to another suggestion (which isn't bad, per say). The user suggested that crows gather and attack you when your health was low. However someone else suggested this could be cheated by having low health, but by wearing the football cap and log suit to boost protection... then kill crows for fun/profit. As such, I couldn't support the idea. However I wouldn't be againt this being a random event... birds gather more each day around you... watching... and then one sunset attack! Then when night rolls in they all fly off.

Your idea might also be best suited for a desert biome. Maybe you could start a suggestion thread about it?

Baby Beefalos. Because if you find a Beefalo herd, you pretty much have an unlimited manure supply for crops, so Baby Beefalos would make collecting manure more dangerous: you get to close to a Baby Beefalo while collecting manure (or just walking in general) and the adults will attack you. Wearing the Beefalo hat will make them follow you and spawn every three days if the herd numbers fall.

Interesting.

This suggestion and discussion have come up before. Kevin has hinted that beefalo will have something like a mating season, so I assume he meant there would be baby beefalo. However he was talking about a use for the beefalo hat. I assumed that wearing a beefalo hat, and your relative size, would have beefalo consider you to be a baby beefalo.

If beefalo can have babies though then the Devs will also need to introduce a form of population control. They could place a cap on total beefalo for now, but then that just means one day there will be no more baby beefalo (a shame) unless some die. The other being one I suggested, namely that beefalo need to eat grass (2-3 per day) and if they can't then they "starve" and eventually die. So in this way there is a form of population control and the player could compete with the beefalo for the natural resources (i.e. grass).

Snow only biome can be cold constantly. Perhaps collect ice for igloos, go ice fishing, get chased by Yetis (they could react similar to ents or hounds). Also if its winter everywhere, more yetis can spawn.

I would be all for this, except we've been told that "winter is coming". So we can expect seasons, of which winter will be one of them. Not sure I need an igloo, and I assumed ponds would be frozen over an inaccessible (i.e. reduce the number of food sources), especially since I assume frozen swamps would also keep tentacles at bay. Now as for the Yeti... I wouldn't mind a winter-specific monster... one that goes away in the Spring.

Desert biome can have cactus that can be shoveled/axed and if you walk too close to them they hurt. Also the cactus could drop cactus flesh and sometimes prickly pears. Maybe scorpions and lizards could live there? Actually, have a thirst meter maybe? And if there is then would it be for just desert or would it lower faster in the desert?

Ah, so you do talk about the desert biome. Cactus shield...? Sorry, too Minecraft for me.

I wouldn't mind a Thirst meter, however Kevin has confirmed that the next meter will be for Sanity. Still, we can dream...

POTATOES! Ahem...potatoes can spawn like carrots do. But you need a shovel to get them.

Why not? I'm still confused as to why the farm plots bother to randomly grow berries... which already grow on bushes.

I like the potato idea and the other biomes as well. Would like to see lizard mobs as well! Needs more random growing veggies and fruit besides carrots and berries. Maybe ,if there were squirrels, you could watch them bury their acorns and dig them up!

Yes to more vegetables... other users have requested naturally growing vegetables, like pumpkin patches. And yes, squirrels are among the few "natural" animals I would like to see added to the game. The others being the bear, turtle (if we ever have beaches), and lobsters/crabs (if we can fish the sea). I also suggested clams as another food source (from beaches).

Edited by Toaster Fu

a desert biome, and a thirst meter would be great. You could never have too many meters, or could you?

I think the game should have many biomes. I've also seen discussed about people wanting to enter the bunny kingdom, and the difficulties implementing that since the game is 2.5d. Well, you could find a certain area on the ground that is distinguished somehow from other places, click it, and an animation would show, maybe climbing down. And then you'd be underground, another 2.5d area, no view of the surface world, or ceiling of the cave, but you would see the floor, and it'd be gray or brown for the ground. Yadda, Yadda. And to get up, you could just click the same area where you had entered, and another animation would play. And back to the surface world!

Never too many meters! We need more! :p

Bunny kingdom sounds like a perfect place to harvest loads of morsels :D A climbing animation sounds effective for combating the problem of "the game is in 2.5d."

Suddenly a thought related to deserts: have a terrain hazard. The Hazard being a sand pit. To get out you have to grab onto a vulture that tries to kill you? You would need good timing though or you'd just be damaged.