How to have a sustentable dragon fruit farm?

It's not that difficult. Try to have at least 3 farms along with your bird and keep planting seeds. It's a 5% chance for dragonfruit to grow from random seeds, but keep at it.

The wiki says "The Bird will drop 1–2 Crop Seeds per Crop fed, plus a 50% chance for 1 regular Seeds". Only proper advice I can say is to feed at least 3 fruits at a time to the bird which will triple your chance* for more dragonfruit seeds. Once you start getting surplus, it's way easier to go over with crop seeds than the amount you're growing at.

*Sorry, I fail at calculating stuff like this. D: But if you feed 3 fruits, you get >=3 seeds each time, so...that's kinda what I meant. ;w;

Make as much farms as triple the amount of Crock Pots you have. One third of those farms will go into your crock pots. The other 2/3 will be used to keep the seeds going. 

You'll get more seeds with time. You've just been unlucky getting one per fruit.

Make as much farms as triple the amount of Crock Pots you have. One third of those farms will go into your crock pots. The other 2/3 will be used to keep the seeds going. 

You'll get more seeds with time. You've just been unlucky getting one per fruit.

Wow, I'm going to need a lot of manure. Well, I'm going to follow that advice.

Also... It has been some months since I played... Did they fix the bug where food does not spoil if you cook it at the crock pot but don't collect it?

And lastly: I'm playing at default plus with Beefalos at "more", but still, after exploring like all my map, I have found no beefalo hers. The best I managed to find is two herds with two beefalos each (and MANY individual beefalos around the world). I killed some individual beefalos until I got a beefalo horn and I made those two herds become one (by uniting the beefalos). But still, I have noticed that the herds didn't really become one. Two beefalos are slighty to the right while the other two are slighty to the left, so it looks like they are still two separated herds. How can I "fuse" the herds? And also, why can't I find the large herds with 10+ beefalos?

Wow, I'm going to need a lot of manure. Well, I'm going to follow that advice.

Also... It has been some months since I played... Did they fix the bug where food does not spoil if you cook it at the crock pot but don't collect it?

And lastly: I'm playing at default plus with Beefalos at "more", but still, after exploring like all my map, I have found no beefalo hers. The best I managed to find is two herds with two beefalos each (and MANY individual beefalos around the world). I killed some individual beefalos until I got a beefalo horn and I made those two herds become one (by uniting the beefalos). But still, I have noticed that the herds didn't really become one. Two beefalos are slighty to the right while the other two are slighty to the left, so it looks like they are still two separated herds. How can I "fuse" the herds? And also, why can't I find the large herds with 10+ beefalos?

Don't bother with beefalo for manure. Transplant lots of berry bushes to your camp and then feed those berries to the pigs. With 40 bushes you'll get 40 manure every 3-5 days.

Beefalo don't really fuse together. Each herd as is own place they just happen to overlay on each other. And big herds are random in maps. Sometime you get 12 beefalo sometime just 3.

Food on crock pots average out the spoilage value of the ingredients you put in now, but don't spoil when completed. So fresher ingredients makes fresher food, slightly spoiled makes for less fresh food. :-)

Beefalo are spawned in significantly smaller herds now which grow over time. It is strange that your "initial herds" only have 2 beefalos. As Teo just said, herds don't really merge. I've still always encountered at least 3-4 in a herd on default though, maybe just unlucky world gen.

Edit: Beefalos are "constipated" now too, haha. As Teo said again (you ninja!), feeding berries to pigs are probably the most efficient way to stockpile manure as of the latest update.

You need to re-plant that seed until you get 2 dragonfruit seeds and replant again.. the more fruits you give to the birds the more seeds you get.

i have a 16 improved farms and when i collect all the 16 dragon fruits the birds gives like 21-24 seeds so its really good

Thanks all!

By the way, I'm using the "Long summer" setting. When will summer arrive?

Plus, is there any recipe that doesn't require meat? I know dragon pie only require berries, but farms doesn't works during winter if I am not mistaken. The best thing I got so far is honey + monster meat + 2 morsel but I REALLY HATE collecting morsels. The game doesn't allows you to collect ONLY the bunny, and not the trap. They should make a mod for that.

And thanks as always for such wise words. 

(BTW had twelve farms once and after multiple harvests, had only one dragonfruit. I deleted that game as luck just hated me :razz:

But yes, as Teo said, multiple crockpots/farms and time (and possibly multiple feedings to the bird) will eventually get you that setup.)

Beefalo don't really fuse together. Each herd as is own place they just happen to overlay on each other. And big herds are random in maps. Sometime you get 12 beefalo sometime just 3.

So (haven't done this but just thought of it) if I were to transplant stray Beefalo (such as using their horn) to another herd, would they just walk back to their original point unless penned or "bond" with their new friends?

(BTW had twelve farms once and aver multiple harvests, had only one dragonfruit. I deleted that game as luck just hated me :razz:

So (haven't done this but just thought of it) if I were to transplant stray Beefalo (such as using their horn) to another herd, would they just walk back to their original point unless penned or "bond" with their new friends?

I've spent many a poop to get a second fruit seed more times than I want to admit...

Don't have much Beefalo experience to confirm that, but from what I learned it depends on how much far away from their breeding ground they follow you and if their herd is big enough. The closer and the bigger the herd the more chance they'll want to go back.   So the best option is to pen them early on when the 5 Beefalo that follow are actually the whole herd...

In all cases though, they'll stop walking towards their breeding ground after some days of getting stuck in place and start a new herd where they are.

What I do is trap 5 and slaughter all the rest so they don't have a herd to go back :I

I've spent many a poop to get a second fruit seed more times than I want to admit...

Don't have much Beefalo experience to confirm that, but from what I learned it depends on how much far away from their breeding ground they follow you and if their herd is big enough. The closer and the bigger the herd the more chance they'll want to go back.   So the best option is to pen them early on when the 5 Beefalo that follow are actually the whole herd...

In all cases though, they'll stop walking towards their breeding ground after some days of getting stuck in place and start a new herd where they are.

What I do is trap 5 and slaughter all the rest so they don't have a herd to go back :I

I thought as much, but I actually was considering going around the world and gathering up the strays (instead of the typical culling methods here,) but wanted to know if I had to make a pen before starting or could do so later. Guess I can experiment with a far-off Beefalo and see sometime...

I thought as much, but I actually was considering going around the world and gathering up the strays (instead of the typical culling methods here,) but wanted to know if I had to make a pen before starting or could do so later. Guess I can experiment with a far-off Beefalo and see sometime...

You're better off using them as "Certain Koalefants". Instead of hunting the Koalefant and failing sometimes, grab a couple tooth traps and kill 2 beefalo of the stray herd. Or use them to kill artificial werepigs. Lots of possibilities really... The fact that they're not part of your main herd makes them quite expendable.

You're better off using them as "Certain Koalefants". Instead of hunting the Koalefant and failing sometimes, grab a couple tooth traps and kill 2 beefalo of the stray herd. Or use them to kill artificial werepigs. Lots of possibilities really... The fact that they're not part of your main herd makes them quite expendable.

But where's their winter Beefalo trunk? :-)

Seriously, thanks for that advice. When a base is good and established, I'll just putz around with the options for lulz, but not ever depend on gathering them. 

i have on occasion penned beefalo by pushing them at night, or chasing the adolescents into the pen.... it takes some work and you gotta be really bored, kinda like penning a koalaphant.

anyhow on the dragonfruit farm thing, it's not really easy to get established for instance until about day 60 in my last game i only had 2 dragon fruits spawn from 8 farms constantly harvesting. it's far easier to grow almost anything else, not to mention like previously said in order to get a high seed yield you have to feed the bird more than 3 fruits in one go, otherwise the chance to drop 2 is pretty low.

because of the manure drop change, and the low dragon fruit spawn rate it might be easier to establish a flower patch for butterfly harvesting and just grow pumpkins or pomegranates.

i have on occasion penned beefalo by pushing them at night, or chasing the adolescents into the pen.... it takes some work and you gotta be really bored, kinda like penning a koalaphant.

anyhow on the dragonfruit farm thing, it's not really easy to get established for instance until about day 60 in my last game i only had 2 dragon fruits spawn from 8 farms constantly harvesting. it's far easier to grow almost anything else, not to mention like previously said in order to get a high seed yield you have to feed the bird more than 3 fruits in one go, otherwise the chance to drop 2 is pretty low.

because of the manure drop change, and the low dragon fruit spawn rate it might be easier to establish a flower patch for butterfly harvesting and just grow pumpkins or pomegranates.

Funny you mention that...I do pumpkins until I luck out with the dragonfruit thing (which as you said, takes about around the start of the second winter or (more or less) 56-60 days.)

Then again, I didn't compute any  stats with multiple farms probability (just my experience,) so others may have revised numbers instead of my "luck in games." 

dragon fruit farms have been getting the ole nerf hammer for a while now, it used to be a farm could get started by about day 20 or so if that was the main priority, but for obvious game breaking reasons, no more.

btw the game overall has gotten a LOT easier to play since spring, the difficulty level has gone way down imo.

About everyone saying dragon fruits are hard to acquire: Actually, I started with the Default Plus preset, which means I had 2 dragon fruits at the beginning of the game. One could say that is cheating, but dragon fruits spoil in 6 days, which means you need to create a bird cage within two days. For you to create that, you need the Alchemy Station. It is VERY hard to create an alchemy station and gather enough resource (gold mainly) for the bird cage within your first 6 days in the game. I managed to do it. At the end, the dragon fruits were almost becoming rot (they had something like 20 seconds left probably).

I also tried to create a meat effigy with the initial 8 meat you get at default plus, but there is no way to grow beard enough before the meat becomes rotten. I would say the default plus is pretty balanced.

I found, VERY FAR FROM MY CAMP, a hound spawner (two bone things that spawn hounds). With the help of 5 pigs (I stumbled with some pig guardians protecting some berry bushes during the night... After that, there were only 2 to help me), I managed to kill them all. I found out there was a large savanna with two large herds. They are very far form my camp and farm from anything else. Can't do much.

i guess in a default plus game that would be a lot easier to setup. also getting an ice box early on would extend the dragon fruit time giving more setup time.

imo default plus is easier to play, simply cause you can burn whatever spider nests you don't want around.

You can do that in any mode, you just need a torch. Also, at default plus, you already start with spider dens at level 3, so it is way harder than default.

And I am 99% sure it is impossible to have an ice box at the first 6 days of game if you are not extremely damn lucky.  Actually, it IS impossible. It requires an alchemy station (you can do that in two days but it will drain ALL your resources) and gears (totally impossible unless you dig graves and find one). The only way to find that is finding the winter set piece, but that would trigger winter.

Archived