[Biota] World Architecture

lifemare

The architectural approach to modding (ie: Foundations before Furniture) has been neglected so far.
But the time has come to start integrating all our various ideas into global environment concepts.
This is the place to discuss possible new biomes and setpieces, to give them a theme and purpose, and to start adding contents to them.

LEVEL 1 BIOTA - Fairytale Realm

DEFAULT BIOME
Purpose: General purpose. Serves as the welcoming biome and repository for any contents that don't quite fit the other biomes.
Turf: Poopturf.
Environment: Peacefulness.
Possible Contents: Beanlets; Electric Sheep; Aetheel; Antlion; Skytrap (level2 acid); Skyflowers; Candy Bushes; Longbills; Golden Moose;
Setpieces: BeanZealots Cloudhenge.

SNOW BIOME
Purpose: Land of Permafrost and Crystals. Christmas Fairytales.
Turf: Pale blue Swirly snow cones, like it's made of ice cream, or a baked alaska. [Eg.1] [Eg.2]
Environment: Coldest of biomes, regular snowing.
Possible Contents: Crystals; Thunder Trees; Strix; Ball Lightning; Skyflowers, Candy Bushes, Electric Sheep;

Setpieces: Strix Touchstone.

AURORA BIOME
Purpose: Dark Fairytales and Magic.
Turf: Dark blue, with strands of green/yellow/violet glowing through. Northern Lights inspired.
Environment: A night-time biome filled with Aethereal things. Drains Sanity.
Possible Contents: Permahallucinations (with different art); Mantas; Cloud Algae; Flying Fish Ponds;
Setpieces: Witches Grove.

RAINBOW BIOME
Purpose: Wacky Fairytales. Candyland and Flower Power. Realm of Innocence. Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz.
Turf: Light Pink, with multicolored spots. [Eg.1] [Eg.2]
Environment: Everything is sugary and filled with trippy stuff. Drains Sanity.
Possible Contents: Marshmallow Bees; Rainbowcoons; Octocopters; Aeronemone; Cloud Coral; Skyshrooms; Jellyshrooms; Yellow Brick Road; Golden Golem;
Setpieces: Cheshire Hunting Grounds.

LEVEL 1 SETPIECES

BEANZEALOTS CLOUDHENGE (Default biome)
Purpose:
Turf:
Environment:
Possible Contents: Beanzealots;

STRIX TOUCHSTONE (Snow biome)
Purpose: Save location (but mineable - players choice).
Turf: Crystal (similar to Pengull's nesting grounds) / Snow.
Environment: Mystic.
Possible Contents: Crystal Touchstone; lots of large Crystals; Strix;

WITCHES GROVE (Aurora biome)
Purpose: Boon of unique unmoveable items.
Turf: Wooden/Carpeted/Other.
Environment: Dark, decrepit and abandoned.
Possible Contents: Cauldron; Eldrichest; light fixtures; (extra: mushrooms; frogs; daturas)

CHESHIRE HUNTING GROUNDS (Rainbow biome)
Purpose: Source of rare twigs and grass.
Turf: Rainbow/Poopturf/Different Rainbow,
Environment: Inospitable,
Possible Contents: Cheshire; Scarecrows; Birds;

LEVEL 2 BIOTA - Mythic Realm

DEFAULT BIOME
Purpose:
Turf:
Environment: Peacefulness.
Possible Contents:
Setpieces:

STORM BIOME
Purpose: Land of Lightning.
Turf: Dark Gray, spiky turf (with cloud stalactites). [Eg.1] [Eg.2]
Environment: Permacharged Static.
Possible Contents:
Setpieces:

ACID BIOME
Purpose: Realm of poison and disease.
Turf: Green and bubbly.
Environment: Drains health. Fauna and Flora are filled with deformities.
Possible Contents: Noxious geisers; Molds and spores; Mushrooms; Gasmasks; Skytraps;
Setpieces:

HURRICANE BIOME
Purpose: Land of Wind.
Turf: Gray with whirlwinds.
Environment: Everything in it is skewed and leaning in different directions like it's constantly being punished by strong winds. The character itself could be affected by winds, being detoured when running and pushed when standing still.
Possible Contents: Whirlwinds; Beholder boss;
Setpieces: Eye of the Hurricane.

BRIMSTONE CLOUDS
Purpose: Realm of the Myths/Gods of Hell. Source of fire.
Turf: Dark brownish gray with red and orange glows. Like a Volcanic Plume.
Environment: Hot biome. Filled with hazards and dangerous mobs.
Possible Contents: Balrog;
Setpieces: Gates of Hell

LEVEL 2 SETPIECES

EYE OF THE HURRICANE (Hurricane biome)
Purpose:
Turf: Hurricane
Environment: Peacefulness. Brightly lit.
Possible Contents: Beholders;

GATES OF HELL
Purpose: Defended entrance to the biome.
Turf: Brimstone
Environment: The giant skull of the slain Effrul blocks the entrance to Hell, his left eye socket serves as the gate, being guarded by Cerberus.
Possible Contents: Cerberus; Effrul;

LEVEL 3 BIOTA - Heavenly Realm

DEFAULT BIOME
Purpose: Hindu, Aztec, and all pantheons not used by other biomes.
Turf:
Environment:
Possible Contents: Quetzalcoatl; Vimanas;
Setpieces:

SANDSTORM BIOME
Purpose: Egyptian Pantheon Realm.
Turf: Yellow and grainy.
Environment: Hot Weather.
Possible Contents: Dust Devils; Mirages; Flamingos; Obelisks;
Setpieces: Sphinx Oasis.

OLYMPUS BIOME
Purpose: Greek Pantheon Realm.
Turf: White marbly and smooth.
Environment: Filled with Ruins.
Possible Contents: Gold Nugget Trees;
Setpieces:

VEARTH/ASGARD BIOME
Purpose: Norse Pantheon Realm. Elysian Fields. Paradise in disguise. Mix of Shire and Lothlórien.
Turf: Lush green grass. [Eg.1] [Eg.2]
Environment: Megaflora.
Possible Contents:
Setpieces:

LEVEL 3 SETPIECES

SPHINX OASIS (Sandstorm biome)
Purpose: The Sphinx would pose riddles and offer rewards for correct answers or spawn monsters on wrong ones. Either through dialog (which should be near impossible with the current system), or by having 3 chests corresponding to each possible answer (one spawns OP monster with no drops; one is empty; one has rare items/resources).
Turf: Sandstorm with small lake and some vegetation.
Environment: Desolate and ominous.
Possible Contents: Sphinx; some sort of palm trees and lakeside plants; Chests;

EXTRA BIOMES/SETPIECES

DREAMLAND BIOME (lv.1/lv.2 biome/setpiece)
Purpose: The Kingdom of the Cloud Shapers.
Turf: White
Environment: A place filled with giant cloud monuments shaped after bunnies, dragons, birds and all those things that cloud spotters usually see. There would be a Factory in there with little minions running around assembling cloud bricks....
Possible Contents: Castle;
Setpieces:

CASTLE SETPIECE (lv.1/lv.2 setpiece)
Purpose:
Turf: Lv.1 Snow/Rainbow / Lv.2 Default
Environment:
Possible Contents: Castle;

MONSOON BIOME (interchangeable with Storm)
Purpose: A possible place for more marine inspired contents. Land of fertility.
Turf: Turquoise with lighter strands, like water waves on the surface of a lake.
Environment:
Possible Contents:
Setpieces:

MAMMATUS BIOME
Purpose:
Turf: Mammatus.
Environment:
Possible Contents:
Setpieces:

MUSHROOM CLOUD
Purpose: Similar to the Acid Biome.
Turf: Neon Green
Environment: Filled with mushrooms. Drains health.
Possible Contents:
Setpieces:

SUNRISE BIOME
Purpose:
Turf: Pale violet
Environment:
Possible Contents:
Setpieces:

SUNSET BIOME
Purpose:
Turf: Red with tones of violet.
Environment:
Possible Contents:
Setpieces:

WORMHOLES

OCTOBALLOON

Purpose: Level 1 to Level 2 (maybe lv.2 to lv.1).

Type: Defeatable boss (leaves you stranded in lv.2) / Living structure that also spawns on lv.2 entrance.

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Purpose: Level 1 to Level 2 (maybe lv.2 to lv.1).

Type: Fixed structure that spawns on both levels / Spawns only on lv.1 and is replaced by equivalent structure (whirlwind) on level 2.

Location: Special secluded Rainbow biome (lv.1) / Storm biome (lv.2).

YGGDRASIL ROOT

Purpose: All purpose elevator.

Type: Fixed structure with different art according to level (increases in size).

WHIRLWINDS

Purpose: Level 2 to Level one / Level 2 to Level 3.

Type: Living structure that takes you back to lv.1 (leaving you dependent on Octoballon / being replaced by a Rainbow Bridge) / Takes you to lv.3 (stranding you on lv.3 / spawning on both levels / being replaced by different elevator on lv.3).

WATER OF LIFE

Purpose: All purpose elevator (combined with Beanstalk).

Type: Craftable/found item to be used on the Beanstalk entrance on level 1 to make it grow another level.

Location: Found on a Fountain setpiece / Crafted with special teleportato-like items scattered through the map.

CRAZY IDEAS (requiring some sort of Secret Level)

ADVENTURE MODE

APOLLO'S CHARIOT 3rd lv. wormhole

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN 3rd lv. wormhole

NEBULA biome [Eg.1] (Sci-fi DS?!)

BEARD OF GOD biome [Eg.1] (Bearded Maxwell?!)

*OP IN PROGRESS*

Note: Contents that may fit more than one biome are shown in light gray as being optional/rare in that biome.

You've taken over my job! I'm the Biographer! ;)

Anyway, to keep Teo happy, I guess I have to offer feedback, and that would be that I'm so happy we have included a bit of LOTR. A Shire/Lóthlorien biome sounds awesome!

I think the Level One biomes are all well thought out, even if there are some minor things still needed to be discussed. I would agree with Octocopters being in the Rainbow Biome, but the Giant Octocopter (or any Level-Up mechanism that is chosen for L1-L2) belongs in the Aurora biome. If it's going to be the most challenging, I reckon the most important things from that Level belong there. All in the name of exploration. A risky, challenging, yet rewarding biome would be exactly the sort of place the player made an Outpost.

Also, if possible, perhaps there could only be one or two Geese per biome? I don't think they should be common, but as it's currently the only useful heat source, I would suggest having them around you as much as possible.

Level Two and Three look pretty good too, but then again, we just have names and descriptions really.

You've taken over my job! I'm the Biographer! ;)

Anyway, to keep Teo happy, I guess I have to offer feedback, and that would be that I'm so happy we have included a bit of LOTR. A Shire/Lóthlorien biome sounds awesome!

I think the Level One biomes are all well thought out, even if there are some minor things still needed to be discussed. I would agree with Octocopters being in the Rainbow Biome, but the Giant Octocopter (or any Level-Up mechanism that is chosen for L1-L2) belongs in the Aurora biome. If it's going to be the most challenging, I reckon the most important things from that Level belong there. All in the name of exploration. A risky, challenging, yet rewarding biome would be exactly the sort of place the player made an Outpost.

Also, if possible, perhaps there could only be one or two Geese per biome? I don't think they should be common, but as it's currently the only useful heat source, I would suggest having them around you as much as possible.

Level Two and Three look pretty good too, but then again, we just have names and descriptions really.

Yeah, but i'm the Cartographer and i work very closely with the Royal Architect ;^P

Level 2 is very incomplete, mainly because it will be a mix of both levels. A little fairytale showing through with glimpses of divinity, but mostly mythological beasts and plants.

This is just the first draft. I'm still adding stuff to it. And i expect more people will want to contribute aswell. So, given enough time, this might actually become almost set in stone... At least, i hope so.

I'm assuming here, that these biomes will be repeated across the map (?). Meaning, even if we only have 4 of them, we may play on a map with 2-3 of each (12 islands). So the Giant Octocopter* may be in a more secluded Rainbow. Same for the Beanzealots setpiece, which shouldn't be right next to the entrance...

* I'm thinking maybe it could be an Octoballon instead of just a big Octocopter. And maybe when it's killed the balloon pops, some of the ropes/tendons of the beast entangle you by accident, and it starts zipping all over the place, dragging you along, and finally deflating on level 2 (with its drops lying around)? (Our wizards/animators are going to hate this idea)

I thought that the normal cloud biome was home to the Sheep and Rams not the snow one :/

Yes, i think that was in debug's plan aswell. I'll change that.

I was trying to put everything that might fit any biome into "possible contents", meaning they fit the environment, not necessarily need to go into it. And, of course, even though some mobs might be native (more common) to one biome, doesn't imply they can't be seen (more rarely) in others. But that tuning is better left for the Roadmap thread.

All those things are up for discussion of course and i'd be very glad to see people taking a deep interest in this. The OP still needs a lot of confrontation with what's been said on previous posts (i was hoping people might repost their ideas for biomes here, using the structure in the OP for purpose/turf/contents/etc, but i'll search the forums for those eventually).

Most of these biomes (so far) are my ideas, so this may look bad atm... But i certainly don't want to be the "Royal Architect" or anything like that - just a contracted engineer to tidy up the blueprints... No one should have an higher saying on how the world we're building has to be (except as arbiter of more polarized discussions, who i'd say is debug; and things that depend highly on code/animation/art, where each people skilled in those does have more authority). I'm just reinforcing the obvious here, i hope... For the sake of the mod, please go ahead and point fingers at any little thing you believe should be changed!

Knowing that the snow biome isn't to be the default biome for level 1, you have put my concerns to rest Lifemare. I'm not sure why I believed it would be this way, but I get confused easily sometimes, so I'm glad to see that this isn't the case. Of course, some things do need discussion still, but that's to be expected. I say we get a firm idea of everyone's thoughts on the basic framework for the levels.  That being said, I'm happy with this layout. I have a couple ideas though.

Level 1:

This level could contain the dreamland and sunrise biomes. I absolutely love the idea of cloud shapes, and we could perhaps figure out other dreamy type elements to include that would sell the idea that this isn't just the place you see when you look up into the sky, but also the place where dreams are born.

Level 2:

I believe the storm/monsoon biomes could be merged together, along with the acid/mushroom cloud biomes. For the acid biome, I see it as a reference to pollution and war, emphasizing the fact that both of these things are not just toxic to humans; but to the world around us as well. The creatures here are deformed or mutated, and there are dangerous pools of radiation that can be found on occasion that rob the player of his health if he or she ventures too close. A sickly green fog hangs in the air, perhaps the player should need a gas mask to venture through this area. (Jumping the gun a bit here, but I'm a fan of gas masks believe me.)

My final suggestion for this level, to counter the biomes of the first, would be the sunset biome, and a nightmare biome. (The Tim Burton fan in me gets giddy thinking about the things a nightmare biome could contain.) The nightmare biome would be heavily focused on dark colors, purples, blues, and blacks. It's dark, it's scary, and everywhere there are shadows and hallucinations, perhaps even some common childhood fear elements like a boogey man.

Level 3:

I'll just say that I can't wait to see the work for this one, I think the biome layouts for these are great as they are, though if we need more we can always dig around some more.

Knowing that the snow biome isn't to be the default biome for level 1, you have put my concerns to rest Lifemare. I'm not sure why I believed it would be this way, but I get confused easily sometimes, so I'm glad to see that this isn't the case. Of course, some things do need discussion still, but that's to be expected. I say we get a firm idea of everyone's thoughts on the basic framework for the levels.  That being said, I'm happy with this layout. I have a couple ideas though.

Level 1:

This level could contain the dreamland and sunrise biomes. I absolutely love the idea of cloud shapes, and we could perhaps figure out other dreamy type elements to include that would sell the idea that this isn't just the place you see when you look up into the sky, but also the place where dreams are born.

Level 2:

I believe the storm/monsoon biomes could be merged together, along with the acid/mushroom cloud biomes. For the acid biome, I see it as a reference to pollution and war, emphasizing the fact that both of these things are not just toxic to humans; but to the world around us as well. The creatures here are deformed or mutated, and there are dangerous pools of radiation that can be found on occasion that rob the player of his health if he or she ventures too close. A sickly green fog hangs in the air, perhaps the player should need a gas mask to venture through this area. (Jumping the gun a bit here, but I'm a fan of gas masks believe me.)

My final suggestion for this level, to counter the biomes of the first, would be the sunset biome, and a nightmare biome. (The Tim Burton fan in me gets giddy thinking about the things a nightmare biome could contain.) The nightmare biome would be heavily focused on dark colors, purples, blues, and blacks. It's dark, it's scary, and everywhere there are shadows and hallucinations, perhaps even some common childhood fear elements like a boogey man.

Level 3:

I'll just say that I can't wait to see the work for this one, I think the biome layouts for these are great as they are, though if we need more we can always dig around some more.

No, you're absolutely right helix. I was the one who caused that confusion, because i was under the impression all biomes would fall into some sort of environmental category. I just very recently been told by debug that there is in fact a default all-purpose biome. So, sorry about that!

- The Dreamland is probably best as a setpiece, it was a spur of the moment idea when i was writting the OP, and as such we have too many already for level 1. If we can improve it further (maybe adding stuff from Neil Gaiman's Sandman universe) it might make a good biome for level 2.

- Agree both those biome couples are mergeable. Very nice description (as usual) for the Acid biome. I'll add some of it to the OP. It's ok to give hazy ideas for the next levels, i've added some already that have had no discussion on the Suggestions thread. We'll leave them named in the biota contents and then work on them when the time is right. I'll add gas masks ;)

- That Nightmare biome sounds too much like Aurora to me. I wouldn't mind having a Boogey man in it. You should go to Suggestion with that!

- Definitely agree with you on level 3. I think we do have to be careful not to include too many pantheons, but maybe we can have an all purpose biome for Hindu (Vimanas!) and Aztec (Quetzalcoatl) and others...

I agree with the last two posts. Especially the clouds statues being a setpiece.

Anw i'm ok with most of the things in the OP though i think the Skytrap should be in the Acid biome, and maybe(?). Was thinking of acid biome being the "swamp"of the first level but the snow one seems to fill that role just fine.

Now for level 2 i think we need a peaceful biome where players catch their breath. Maybe the beach one? With Quarztcrabs roaming around? And where is the garden where the Beanclops will spawn? (i thought level 2 was gonna be evil flora...)

- Maybe the beach one? With Quarztcrabs roaming around?

- And where is the garden where the Beanclops will spawn?

- (i thought level 2 was gonna be evil flora...)

- That would leave us without a good biome for Egyption deities. Unless you mean a different Beach biome. In which case i'm not too sure that's a good idea... Maybe you can elaborate on it a bit more?

- I haven't included any setpieces yet, apart from that dreamland thing. I'll get to it. Do you want to repost that Garden idea following the OP structure? Since it's your vision, i'd probably do a bad job describing it. Though, my personal preference is there shouldn't be any ground turf up there unless it's 3rd level... Are you planning on it being grassy?

- I don't remember that discussion... Do you mean the Beanzealots should be level 2? Skytraps i'd be ok with leaving them for later.

- That would leave us without a good biome for Egyption deities. Unless you mean a different Beach biome. In which case i'm not too sure that's a good idea... Maybe you can elaborate on it a bit more?

- I haven't included any setpieces yet, apart from that dreamland thing. I'll get to it. Do you want to repost that Garden idea following the OP structure? Since it's your vision, i'd probably do a bad job describing it. Though, my personal preference is there shouldn't be any ground turf up there unless it's 3rd level... Are you planning on it being grassy?

- I don't remember that discussion... Do you mean the Beanzealots should be level 2? Skytraps i'd be ok with leaving them for later.

-Well it could even be a rocky beach, with big holes in it to resemble sky lakes...Anyway, point is we need a peaceful biome up there. Doesn't have to be the beach...

- Was under the impression that it would be a whole biome with some beanclopses in it. With some marble pillars to hint on the 3rd level.

-Yeah it's somewhere in the CoI, i'm not good with search...And no no Beanzelots should be in level 1, so when we kill one it's an instant Beanclops spawn.

-Well it could even be a rocky beach, with big holes in it to resemble sky lakes...Anyway, point is we need a peaceful biome up there. Doesn't have to be the beach...

- Was under the impression that it would be a whole biome with some beanclopses in it. With some marble pillars to hint on the 3rd level.

-Yeah it's somewhere in the CoI, i'm not good with search...And no no Beanzelots should be in level 1, so when we kill one it's an instant Beanclops spawn.

OP updated to include Setpieces

- We do. Maybe the Hurricane could be considered peaceful. Otherwise let's just add another Default/All-Purpose biome for that. Unless something better comes along of course...

- Oh you meant the Garden is for Beanclopses? I thought it was for the Beanzealots. Ok. What turf/theme/contents would you see it having (apart from Beanclopses).

I don't want to reply just for the sake of replying, but this is fantastic. Having this nice outline of things is extremely helpful. :grin:

If we so choose, we can add some that only optionally spawn (like rare variations).

Clear a little doubt for me, debug:

- Will we repeat biomes on a map? What would be the min/max islands for a decent map?

- Will the clouds map size be proportional to the sandbox map size (ie: will it have less or more biomes accordingly)?

Clear a little doubt for me, debug:

- Will we repeat biomes on a map? What would be the min/max islands for a decent map?

- Will the clouds map size be proportional to the sandbox map size (ie: will it have less or more biomes accordingly)?

Biome placing is random, as far as I know. I'll have to recheck that. But the size of a biome is determined by the number of subbiomes within it. I think that having half a dozen biomes or less would be ideal, since we can pack subbiomes into each one to give it more defining and varied characteristics.

I plan on the cloud realm levels being quite huge. They're currently small, for the purposes of testing content. Since we have craig now, though, it isn't necessary to keep the levels small anymore...

- Added an idea for Brimstone Clouds* to the Extra Biomes

- Added Wormholes and other crazy science!

- Added some turf examples and minor edits across the board.

* If we go with a fire-proof level 2, this might be a good biome for sources of warmth. But it would be filled with extremely dangerous creatures from the various Hell myths (Niflheim, Duat, Hades, Xibalba...). 

- Added an idea for Brimstone Clouds* to the Extra Biomes

- Added Wormholes and other crazy science!

- Added some turf examples and minor edits across the board.

* If we go with a fire-proof level 2, this might be a good biome for sources of warmth. But it would be filled with extremely dangerous creatures from the various Hell myths (Niflheim, Duat, Hades, Xibalba...). 

Aren't you forgetting Balrog?

And Cerberus!

Would be a great Guardian at the entrance to the biome - Cerberus' Gate would make a really cool setpiece, too.

- Added Brimstone Clouds to level 2 (for the time being. We may want to make it lv.3 later on...)

- Added Gates of Hell setpiece, featuring Cerberus and Effrul (i have a better pic of him somewhere in my external drives from the Lucifer comics, i'll upload later).

- Added +1 to your rep ;^P

arwm.jpg

Archived