Change To The Recipe Of The Alchemy Engine.

33 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the Alchemy Engine to be more expenisve?

• Yes, it needs to be harder to get.
    • No, it's fine as it is.
    • I don't care either way.

I can't believe so many people want to keep it as is.  How about we just remove the Science machine then, because there's practically no point to have both as it is.

I have yet to see a good reason to keep it. All i get are just "No"s with no explanation. 

Maybe add 2 nitre or 4 silk, but not really that much...

Silk is good.  You almost definitely have access to nitre at the same time you have gold and stone though, so that's kind of pointless.  

Personally, I would make it 2 papyrus, 8 silk, and 1 gear.  That would actually make it take some effort to get and keep you on science machine only for at least a few days.  Obviously people don't like anything that takes effort though.

Personally, I would make it 2 papyrus, 8 silk, and 1 gear.  That would actually make it take some effort to get and keep you on science machine only for at least a few days.  Obviously people don't like anything that takes effort though.

I don't think gears should be added to the recipe.Remember that there're also new players.

Pretty sure the explanation behind people saying no is "no"

The difference between the science machine versus alchemy engine is in when out exploring; it's not unreasonable to plop down a science machine in a flash when necessary to, say, make a fishing rod when coming across ponds when not having needed it before, but nobody carries the stuff for expendable alchemy machines on hand.

The alchemy machine does make a bigger difference when you're first starting out with the game, yes, at that point it is a thing to work towards, but when you're an old hat and you've got your experience and you can get a day 2 alchemy machine, good for you, congratulations, quit your bitching and stop trying to make the game unnecessarily frustrating; making the alchemy machine harder to get wouldn't make a big difference, you'd not adjust to it and work without it for a bit, you'd always run to settle in the swamps or just search out an even more finickily chosen spot.

The bottom line is that nothing at all would change for the players who think it's too easy now, and all you're doing is trying to make it a pain in the ass for everyone else. You'd find a way to get a day 2 alchemy machine, and then you'd ask to change the recipe again.

There are just better, more productive, less stupid things to focus on. 

Forgive my spitefulness or whatever you'd term it but I've heard similar suggestions time and time again with generally the same consensus and always the same end result; isn't it easier just to replace some scripts in your coding to change the recipe for yours alone?

I don't think gears should be added to the recipe.Remember that there're also new players.

I've been here since right before the rain update and half the time I still can't find any goddamned gears; ninety percent of the time if you don't get one from a lucky grave you have to travel all the way across the map to beat down some rowdy machinery that generally isn't particularly killable without the alchemy machine itself anyhows.

Silk though, that seems to be the only real reasonable suggestion so far, in the hypothetical that it were to change; it makes juust big enough a difference without ruining it for everyone.

Yet making the best weapon in the game requires a purple gem and living logs. While making the best armor only takes some extra gold, wood and rocks.

Pretty sure the explanation behind people saying no is "no"

The difference between the science machine versus alchemy engine is in when out exploring; it's not unreasonable to plop down a science machine in a flash when necessary to, say, make a fishing rod when coming across ponds when not having needed it before, but nobody carries the stuff for expendable alchemy machines on hand.

The alchemy machine does make a bigger difference when you're first starting out with the game, yes, at that point it is a thing to work towards, but when you're an old hat and you've got your experience and you can get a day 2 alchemy machine, good for you, congratulations, quit your bitching and stop trying to make the game unnecessarily frustrating; making the alchemy machine harder to get wouldn't make a big difference, you'd not adjust to it and work without it for a bit, you'd always run to settle in the swamps or just search out an even more finickily chosen spot.

The bottom line is that nothing at all would change for the players who think it's too easy now, and all you're doing is trying to make it a pain in the ass for everyone else. You'd find a way to get a day 2 alchemy machine, and then you'd ask to change the recipe again.

There are just better, more productive, less stupid things to focus on. 

Forgive my spitefulness or whatever you'd term it but I've heard similar suggestions time and time again with generally the same consensus and always the same end result; isn't it easier just to replace some scripts in your coding to change the recipe for yours alone?

What in the hell are you talking about? Don't need to be an old hat to make that on day 2. Gold, logs and stones are easily found in the first days. That's my problem. There's no variety in the recipes like there is with the magic tier. Find a forest and some boulders and you got materials for the science machine AND the alchemy engine. Making the Science Machine obsolete. Not to mention that a lot of science items that were previously deemed hard to get and needed a Shadow Manipulator are now accessible through the alchemy engine making them a lot easier to get.

Look "guy who uses Green Amulet to make a torch" it's not me who is an old hat and needs to make the game harder, it's you who is incredibly inept at the game and can't stand the game to be slightly more challenging.

And dammit, i stated in the OP. Doesn't need to be Gears or Reeds, just a not-so-easy to get material that IS NOT stone, logs and gold.

Krampusnachts? B please i got 95% damage reduction.

i dare you to try what i did, edit the krampusnachts stats to be 333 health, 88 damage, 13 speed, 0 attack delay and for it to spawn 13 krampusnachts in the event, i freaking dare you to try that.

i dare you to try what i did, edit the krampusnachts stats to be 333 health, 88 damage, 13 speed, 0 attack delay and for it to spawn 13 krampusnachts in the event, i freaking dare you to try that.

You forgot to give them the ability to spawn 100 hallucinations every 2 seconds.

Yet making the best weapon in the game requires a purple gem and living logs. While making the best armor only takes some extra gold, wood and rocks.

What in the hell are you talking about? Don't need to be an old hat to make that on day 2. Gold, logs and stones are easily found in the first days. That's my problem. There's no variety in the recipes like there is with the magic tier. Find a forest and some boulders and you got materials for the science machine AND the alchemy engine. Making the Science Machine obsolete. Not to mention that a lot of science items that were previously deemed hard to get and needed a Shadow Manipulator are now accessible through the alchemy engine making them a lot easier to get.

Look "guy who uses Green Amulet to make a torch" it's not me who is an old hat and needs to make the game harder, it's you who is incredibly inept at the game and can't stand the game to be slightly more challenging.

And dammit, i stated in the OP. Doesn't need to be Gears or Reeds, just a not-so-easy to get material that IS NOT stone, logs and gold.

I've never used the green amulet at all that's just how I see its purpose from a game design perspective and someting I can see coming in handy for emergencies; does it work for anything beyond the essentials anyways? You said you made a marblesuit with it, right? I can certainly say I'd use it for that before torches, depending on how the durability is used up on the amulet itself.

Is there any material already in the game though that would be any good for a recipe here? Maybe we could make it from rope and... and... while the alchemy engine ay be a bit redundant in its recipe I can't think of anything reasonable to use that has some actual effect on its difficulty. 

I don't think you could alter the recipe as a quick fix I think you'd have to make a nerw item to actually use with the crafting unless something is escaping me at the moment.

And my apologies for taking out random baseless irritation out on you ain't it fun when you don't get enough sleep an' then you're pissy for the whole rest o the day

(apologies if thi is like a tenth repost my computer bugges out before and it didnt look like it got through)

I've never used the green amulet at all that's just how I see its purpose from a game design perspective and someting I can see coming in handy for emergencies; does it work for anything beyond the essentials anyways? You said you made a marblesuit with it, right? I can certainly say I'd use it for that before torches, depending on how the durability is used up on the amulet itself.

Is there any material already in the game though that would be any good for a recipe here? Maybe we could make it from rope and... and... while the alchemy engine ay be a bit redundant in its recipe I can't think of anything reasonable to use that has some actual effect on its difficulty. 

I don't think you could alter the recipe as a quick fix I think you'd have to make a nerw item to actually use with the crafting unless something is escaping me at the moment.

And my apologies for taking out random baseless irritation out on you ain't it fun when you don't get enough sleep an' then you're pissy for the whole rest o the day

(apologies if thi is like a tenth repost my computer bugges out before and it didnt look like it got through)

Apology accepted. Yeah, i remember your posts from a while back and i don't remember you to take fire easily so it got me by surprise, anw glad this didn't go any further.

As for the materials, i'm torn between reeds and silk. Gears once you find them are easy to get as the stupid rook kills his comrades, but the problem is finding them.

Reeds are easy to find but tricky to get. Have yet to meet someone that didn't find a damn swamp in his first days. Same with silk. 

Also to balance the thing i'd move some things from the alchemy engine to the science machine and vice-verca (why is the Beefalo Hat craftable with the science machine when it's better than the Winter hat? And the Breezy vest shouldn't require the alchemy engine)

I've been here since right before the rain update and half the time I still can't find any goddamned gears; ninety percent of the time if you don't get one from a lucky grave you have to travel all the way across the map to beat down some rowdy machinery that generally isn't particularly killable without the alchemy machine itself anyhows.

Silk though, that seems to be the only real reasonable suggestion so far, in the hypothetical that it were to change; it makes juust big enough a difference without ruining it for everyone.

You can kill the clockworks with nothing but a log suit and spear and not even trying to dodge them.  It does mean you have to expose yourself to an actual risk though, which is the whole friggen point of adding risk-requiring items to the recipe.  Things open up more as you prove you can handle yourself without them.

You can kill the clockworks with nothing but a log suit and spear and not even trying to dodge them.  It does mean you have to expose yourself to an actual risk though, which is the whole friggen point of adding risk-requiring items to the recipe.  Things open up more as you prove you can handle yourself without them.

I think the big issue is that not everyone can find the Wooden Thing easily.

I think the big issue is that not everyone can find the Wooden Thing easily.

It's just a matter of exploring, you will find it eventually and it doesn't take that long to explore even huge maps.  Still, it would probably be nice if they altered world gen a bit so that the wooden thing always spawned at the end of a major road, that would make it much easier to find.

It's just a matter of exploring, you will find it eventually and it doesn't take that long to explore even huge maps.  Still, it would probably be nice if they altered world gen a bit so that the wooden thing always spawned at the end of a major road, that would make it much easier to find.

Actually it's always close to the borders of a biome, so with that in mind one can easily fins it every time. Thing is, not everyone knows that.

Archived