New Asset Tools: Animations, Textures, Sounds And Layouts!

Ipsquiggle

why no one answer me? i asked many people now. really great :( so then i think about to leave ds and klei.

This is not really the way to deal with such a situation, even if you asked before weekend you coudl show a bit more patience. But if that's seriously a reason to leave DS... the´n I don't know...  o.0

I've added a tutorial on how to replace in game sounds.  If you give it a try, please let me know how it goes :-).

That'S pretty striaght forward ^^  Thanks! It works fine and will definately come in handy sometime.

But do you know if the ability to add your own sound to your own characters will come in the future?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out how to do it  ^^

Btw, why don't you have one of them fancy avatars?

Edited by Malacath

I recently made a character mod by using these new asset tools, all is good, not crashing, but, It's INVISIBLE. I have no idea how to make my character un-invisible, all I see is a shadow where the character would be. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by DirtyDan

Invisibility is what happens when it doesn't know how to draw something. It's likely something is missing.

Here's some ideas to check:

Does your script match your build?

Does your "ANIM" zip filename match your .scml filename?

Does your "build" match your .scml filename?

Does your "bank" match the entity name?

Does your PlayAnimation" name match your animation name?

Are all your files getting copied successfully?

Check that you have all your images and scml files in "mod/<modname>/exported/<object name>/"

Check that after running the game, a .zip is created.

Check that that zip has animation.xml, build.xml and all your images.

Check that your "mod/<modname>/anim/<buildname>.zip" contains an anim.bin, build.bin, and a atlas-1.tex file.

I need a bit of help because my don't starve isn't converting my animation. Also if I download the sampleprefab and delete the myprefab_build.zip, don't starve will not convert it back from the scml and pngs

I did not see any sort of reversal script in the tools provided. They take spriter files and convert them into the xml Klie uses internally, and then runs it through their scripts to generate the final zip. All this got us the ability to make animations quickly - without re-inventing the whole process.

If you're having trouble converting, make sure you don't use bones (unsupported in the above conversion). Try checking the stuff I listed in the above post as well. It might give you a lead on what the problem is.

I need a bit of help because my don't starve isn't converting my animation. Also if I download the sampleprefab and delete the myprefab_build.zip, don't starve will not convert it back from the scml and pngs

I found out something really weird, if I use the scml.exe to convert it I get an txt file which is saying that it didn't got a valid number of arguments, if I copy the spriter scml file, select the original and copy at the same time and drag and trop them onto scml.exe, it will create and build.xml and animation.xml file and then it will combine the xml files and the png files into a zip file. I think that's not what it should do, because I'm used to have an anim.bin, build.bin and atlas-0.tex file.

During the process, it creates two xml files. Try running the sample prefab. What you'll find is it produces a zip in your exported directory with the two xml files and all your images. It then produces the zip file in the anim folder (which is what you should be used to).

Thanks for the help, but in my case it isn't making a zip file in the anim folder, even with the smaple prefab

• Developer

@Cheerio

a question: are the tools only available on steam or where i can download it?

special regards

Sorry for the late reply.  Right now the tools are only available on steam.  There should be no reason why someone couldn't copy those files and post them elsewhere but that's the only place we currently have planned to keep the tools up to date.

• Developer

Thanks for the help, but in my case it isn't making a zip file in the anim folder, even with the smaple prefab

If you browse to the directory containing 'Don't Starve', does the folder structure look like this?

%root%/dont_starve/

%root%/dont_starve/mods/

%root%/Don't Starve Mod tools/

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply.  Right now the tools are only available on steam.  There should be no reason why someone couldn't copy those files and post them elsewhere but that's the only place we currently have planned to keep the tools up to date.

I am working on creating a Dropbox share linked directly to my Steam Account, so anytime you guys update the tools, they will automatically be updated under my Dropbox. I will share the link as soon as it gets done uploading.

• Like 1

I am working on creating a Dropbox share linked directly to my Steam Account, so anytime you guys update the tools, they will automatically be updated under my Dropbox. I will share the link as soon as it gets done uploading.

This is a fabulous idea for the non-Steam users.

Bravo! I'm sure it'll be greatly appreciated.

• Developer

The only thing it's doing is that it opens some kind of console for less than a seconds 

It looks like the 'sampleprefab_preview.zip' had a bug in it.  'scml' files are supposed to live in the 'exported' folder.  If you download the new version of the 'sampleprefab_preview.zip', I think it will work.

It looks like the 'sampleprefab_preview.zip' had a bug in it.  'scml' files are supposed to live in the 'exported' folder.  If you download the new version of the 'sampleprefab_preview.zip', I think it will work.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU IT WORKS .. well .. not perfect because in the process of compiling it isn't putting the pngs into the zip file. so what I have to do is: compiling, putting the pngs in manually, compiling again, but it's finally working.

• Developer

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU IT WORKS .. well .. not perfect because in the process of compiling it isn't putting the pngs into the zip file. so what I have to do is: compiling, putting the pngs in manually, compiling again, but it's finally working.

The pngs are probably not where the spriter file thinks they are.  If when you created the spriter file the pngs were in a subfolder, then they need to be in the same subfolder under the exported directory.  I'll look into putting a warning of some kind to make that easier to figure out.

• Developer

Actually, I'd really like to fix that problem if I can.  Would you be ok with uploading your mod so I can fix the tools so this doesn't happen to anyone else?

So, because I don't buy the game in Steam, I buy the game standalone version... I can't make mod?

3 days front of google and nothing... all **** tutorial use the "Don't Starve Mod Tools". 

Yes I download the "Don't Starve Mod Tools" as well but don't want to do nothing... 

Please! Any chance to use it out of steam?

So, because I don't buy the game in Steam, I buy the game standalone version... I can't make mod?

3 days front of google and nothing... all **** tutorial use the "Don't Starve Mod Tools". 

Yes I download the "Don't Starve Mod Tools" as well but don't want to do nothing... 

Please! Any chance to use it out of steam?

Well, you didn't put a lot of effort into your search  : P

Pinned thread, first post at the bottom.

Well, you didn't put a lot of effort into your search  : P

Pinned thread, first post at the bottom.

O Yes! I found this link as well, I read it as well, but how I can make the anim files... TEX, scml, no problem ... how after.... that is my problem. of course I'm not a game programmer, just somebody who want to see own unique items in the game... 

Just one, the anim files.... :(

O Yes! I found this link as well, I read it as well, but how I can make the anim files... TEX, scml, no problem ... how after.... that is my problem. of course I'm not a game programmer, just somebody who want to see own unique items in the game...

Just one, the anim files.... :(

Every tutorial that uses the Mod Tools specifies the process of making anmi files. Put the spriter project (whole folder) into your exported folder, run the game, wait.