Shaking Trees

I played a game called "animal crossing" and you had the ability to shake trees and it would drop fruit. They should add another type of tree and when you have no tools in your hand you can shake the tree and it will either drop things such as apples or pears etc. Or u can get stung by a wasp or something?

Toaster Fu,Why is your name orange now? I'm jelly :33

Its gold actually :D

He has awesome mod powahs now, be careful. The powerful are not to be trifled with.

As to ur suggestion, i like it! Another foodsource, sure why not? There are coming more biomes in the future, "shakable" fruittrees would be a nice addition to the flora.

I played a game called "animal crossing" and you had the ability to shake trees and it would drop fruit. They should add another type of tree and when you have no tools in your hand you can shake the tree and it will either drop things such as apples or pears etc. Or u can get stung by a wasp or something?

I've played Animal Crossing as well, so I know what you're talking about, although it has been a while since I last played. I recall planting different trees and harvesting different fruits. Each tree yielded a varied number of its fruit before going bare. For non-fruit trees if you shook them usually it just caused some leaves to fall, but other times an interesting item would drop. Or a beehive...

I wouldn't mind being able to harvest fruit from trees, so long as it was balanced. So either limit the fruit that could be harvested or lengthen the period between harvests. Personally if seasons were introduced I would think it would be great if fruit trees only bore fruit once a year, and once harvested you had to wait another year. That way they would be an annual boon. Of course, unlike Animal Crossing, players shouldn't be allowed to grow their own fruit trees because that could get out of control over time.

As to how trees could be harvested, I would say that the normal RMB for select the fruit tree wouldn't be Examine, but rather a new action, Harvest. The player could then either shake the tree or simply reach up into it to gather fruit.

As to what types of trees... I suggest apple and pear as being ones that mirror the current game's climate. They could also add in crabapples... we used to have one of those in a field near my old house and they were soooo bitter. But I was a kid so I had to try eating them. ;)

Well, the bee's in this game are standard Bumble-Bee's (the big fuzzy ones) and they actually do make their nests on the ground by weaving grass, for the start of a new hive anyway.

However, what they could do is set it so you could 'examine' trees after finding your first tree guard, that way you could closely examine the tree to see if it is a guard or not, and if it's not the 'forest' area (the dark brown ground where fireflies spawn often) they could add in trees that on examine say 'It's got something growing in it' to which you smack it with say....the hammer...and something falls out, maybe a fruit (which could be planted like a pine-cone to grow that type of tree) or something like say a bird nest (which would make normal birds attack you for a little while) or maybe even a hornet or wasp nest (stronger versions of the bee that don't get distracted by flowers)

I just hope they put in more "chores" to do. I know the game is still in beta i'm just hoping we have more things to do. I like going exploring and collecting things and I want more than just chopping trees and collecting grass. Hope they add a few more things to do. Fingers crossed lol

More biomes would be awesome! I would love a snow biome with squirrels that when chased run into the trees. Removing the tool from your hand and shaking the tree to get them to jump out sounds like a great idea to me!

- - - Updated - - -

More biomes would be awesome! I would love a snow biome with squirrels that when chased run into the trees. Removing the tool from your hand and shaking the tree to get them to jump out sounds like a great idea to me!

I like the idea of shaking the trees but wouldn't chopping them shake the tree anyway? Obviously causing bees or fruit to fall out... And also Monkeymen to fall out and scratch your face off.

Well, it seems simplest to just make a different looking tree and replace the pinecone with a fruit (you can plant the fruit to grow a new tree). The tree might should grow slower than pine tree, since it is also food.

The problem would be making it both food and wood the tree would be very desireable and a target to be made into large farms.

So it might also need to have a downside, perhaps attracting new or existing monster or a insect/animal that made homes in trees could also cause problems, attacking when a player attempted to harvest.

If the hazard/monster included fire risk then it would be possible that a player who created a large grove runs the risk of burning it all.

Edited by MidrealmDM

Also I wonder if they will add collecting water from a water source. I heard that they teased about adding something other than a health meter and hunger meter. Having to stay hydrated makes sense to me!

This was brought up the last time Kevin mentioned bringing in a third gauge. There was a lot of speculation, but the three that were at the top of the list in my book were: thirst, stamina, and sanity.

Personally while I like thirst, I think stamina would allow us to mimic the effects of cold best, and when they introduce seasons (especially winter) this will become very important towards creating a survival atmosphere. Not to mention even rainstorms and thunderstorms could have a detrimental effect on one's stamina, while resting or staying close to a nice warm fire could improve your stamina.

Well, it seems simplest to just make a different looking tree and replace the pinecone with a fruit (you can plant the fruit to grow a new tree). The tree might should grow slower than pine tree, since it is also food.

I agree they would need to create another tree asset, but I wouldn't let the player replant or seed new trees from them. I mean, if we thought the berry bushes were bad, imagine players who grow dozens of fruit trees from seeds? Nah. Better to just have them serve the same way berry bushes once served, as a meal you could grab while exploring. That way you'll never get a chance to combine them all in one location or multiple their effectiveness.

The problem would be making it both food and wood the tree would be very desireable and a target to be made into large farms.

Exactly, it would cause serious problems with time. In Animal Crossing is was relatively simple to create massive ochards. I don't think this game needs that, rather this would serve better as a source of food that in available every once in a while if you happen to be passing along.

So it might also need to have a downside, perhaps attracting new or existing monster or a insect/animal that made homes in trees could also cause problems, attacking when a player attempted to harvest.

Well you could try balancing the pros with cons, but I'm still partial to not letting the players do anything more than either harvest or cut down the tree (for logs). Also, they could be done in by a forest fire.