Bed roll hunger

It doesn't really matter though because the straw roll vanishes after one use and you gotta collect it again.

To suffer from hunger as a means to cut through the night is a bad taste.

You are already using up 12 grass to make one, and to rely on it constantly will cut your grass supply further.

So why suffer from huge hunger loss?

Right, unless I'm full I try not to use it. Because of the hunger. That's the trade off, you'll make it through the night without using lumber to burn for a fire or whatever but you'll be far more hungry when you awake. Well not far more, it's not that bad really.

I frequently use it when I have a minimal amount of wood that I want to use for something but have my tummy full. Or on nights where I'm too far out from base. I simply take the sleep roll and a ration of food, eat up at evening then have a little sleep unafraid of the darkness.

Given that you don't need a light source to make it through the night in the sleep roll, that was my initial impression of it's desired use.

Mandrake is magical.

The bedroll originally didnt take away ANY hunger. And It just didn't work. It was too easy to just sleep away the night all the time. It didnt work out. It was OP.

So they fixed in the hunger again. It is logical and it makes the use of the bedroll to get through the night cost about the right amount of effort for what you gain from it.

Palpetinus is right! with the less hunger thing and rather then go into the boring details about why that you could look up on a wiki somewhere. Ill just mention that its sort of like the 'child under the blankets' so your more hungry because you spent all night awake and shivering under a blanket as all manner of horrors crawled around outside your bag. Personally though I just toss the 12 grass on the campfire and research stuff, make tools for the next day, or harvest barries or grass from nearby crops.