The Science Machine: Only For Wilson?

Thematically, the science machine and alchemy engine clearly are not intended for Willow, Wendy, or Wolfgang (especially not for Wolfgang). This makes me think that it was originally intended specifically for Wilson, but that the research system and special crafting recipes became too central to confine to one character. Since the research system is now apparently on the ropes, perhaps it's a good time to re-evaluate what these devices do.

I propose that instead of everyone receiving a bonus for putting materials into the science machine, each character should have a unique way of receiving bonuses. Wilson could simply research everything, as usual. Perhaps Willow could get bonuses for setting things on fire, Wendy could get bonuses for something involving graves, and Wolfgang could get bonuses for killing enemies in combat.

Such a system could shape the player's behavior with each character in a more controlled manner, creating greater variation in playstyle between characters and allowing for greater levels of optimization depending on how strictly the player adheres to the character's nature. Just looking at how happy Willow gets when a large tree burns, it feels like there should be some tangible indication of that. Same goes for Wolfgang beating the crap out of enemies, and so on.

I feel like we're stepping into some really ambitious grounds here, but I see what your point is.

I like how you hinted that research can be done differently by each character:

-Wilson dumps things into his makeshift machines.

-Willow can construct burning effigies/altars that she can burn stuff in.

-Wendy can conjure another nightly visitor with some other construct, and she researches items by feeding them into its mouth.

-Wolfgang can construct a "science hammer" of sorts and he can gain research points by bashing stuff with it.

Personally this seems a lot more dynamic than the prototype system that has been floating around.

-Wilson dumps things into his makeshift machines.

-Willow can construct burning effigies/altars that she can burn stuff in.

-Wendy can conjure another nightly visitor with some other construct, and she researches items by feeding them into its mouth.

-Wolfgang can construct a "science hammer" of sorts and he can gain research points by bashing stuff with it.

That is actually pretty cool :p

Well more like give each character a specific playstyle to the tech that they can use.

And add more unique structures and crafting to each one.

Wendy can go in the lines of 'Voodoo' and spiritual based structures.

She can create wards that 'scares' away pigs and spiders and such.

Heck, for a 'hat' it could be a scary mask?

For Willow, since she's a pyro, you'd need to give her more flame resistance crafting and flame inducing crafting.

Like her weapon of choice is a Flame Wooden Sword which she combines a torch with a piece of board to make a wooden sword that slowly burns away (0.5% per second) and can instantly burn targets that are hit, but does less damage since it's intending to light things on fire.

Her armor can be a flaming log armor variant, where she's actually on fire and hurts anything she touches for a period of time when she wears it.

Wolfgang is a little harder to earn research points in, so maybe research points gained is equal to how many things that he bashed in in proportionate to a experience gauge for him.

Like a combo gauge, he has to bash in 3-5 things within a minute to earn 1~5 points kinda.

Edited by dra6o0n

We have to subdivide these ideas a bit: different playstyles by which 'points' of some kind are earned is independent of character-specific items. I think there's definitely room in the current system for rewards based on specific playstyles, such as encouraging Wilson to research items, Willow to burn items, Wolfgang to break things and/or beat them up, etc. I'm not so sure creating character-specific items would work as well, though perhaps characters could alter universal items in specific ways (I really like the idea of Willow's burning sword/armor, for example).

So in summary:

-definitely reward characters in different ways, rather than making research universal.

-perhaps use character-specific items or character-specific alterations to universal items as the reward(s).

I too questioned how everyone relied on the science machine when Wilson was the only obvious scientist. However, as it has been pointed out, the research point system will Soon be replaced. I'm hopeful the new system will be more intuitive and interesting (i.e reduce grinding).

Wilson's Science Machine could be altered in the manner of, building it and another one, could be used to teleport him to another meat effegy, turning his current body into an effegy, and the effigy becomes his new body, and the Alchemy Machine could be a way to make potions for healing/other things.

The Tent could be altered to be a 're-usable' version of the bed roll, like the farms (in that each use you need to repair it from damage caused by spiders/gru/what have you, thus keeping people from playing all chars on one world or such.

Wolfgang would have access to more weapons/armor than all other players (that's what he does after all)

Willow would have access to more fire related light things (like lanterns and such) as well as maybe being able to eat charcoal for food (she does inhale alot of smoke after all)

Wendy could have access to more spooky things (like the pumpkin lantern) but in larger supply, maybe she would be immune to the gru attacks

In other words, make it so each char feels COMPLETELY different every play through.