Horrors Unbound [Spoilers within. Read at own risk.]

My muse and I have a love hate relationship. Sometimes we get along and help each other. Other times, we dangle bait in each others faces and taunt. Needless to say, it's been in hate mode for awhile now.

So my muse decided to stop messing with me and start helping me. So without further ado.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4: The Swarm

Maxwell had to admit. While most of what he'd seen was rather dangerous, this was almost beautiful. Various mushrooms had grown to gargantuan heights, towering over him. Their glow provided plenty of light to see by. Thankfully, the light bulb headband was really chafing. And it was starting to smell like rotten eggs. Maxwell removed it and tossed it to the ground. It landed with a splat. A horrible aroma filled the air. "Ugh! It smells worse than the Durians!!!" Maxwell cried, fanning the air in an attempt to diffuse the stench.

A sound began to echo through the cave. The gentle drone of flapping wings growing ever closer. Maxwell turned, trying to find the source. He came upon a wall of red eyes. "Oh no..." With a symphony of shrieks, the swarm of bats were upon him. Maxwell swung his club, trying to hit as many of them as he could. A searing pain went up his leg as one of the abominations bit him. He kicked the pest off but more took its place. Maxwell continued to fight but he continued to receive more and more bites. There were too many. All was lost. Maxwell knew it. She'd won.

He was ready to give in, to surrender. But as Maxwell was about to accept his fate, a most curious thing occurred. A streak of light and three bats went down in flames. Some of them turned away from Maxwell only to be struck by the light and killed. Soon, none were left. As Maxwell lie there bleeding, this mysterious savior stepped into the light. Maxwell's eyes went wide with recognition. "Why did it have to be you?" was all he managed to say before losing conciseness.

I wrote a book in school then i came home and read this story i felt ashamed. But very nice story i do hope u continue writing it its very good.Note:always remember armadillos lurk in your toaster ... Always lurking

Chapter 5: Memories

Maxwell was never fond of dreams. They were always out of his control. And they seemed to always show what he didn't want to see. In this case, a small theater off the beaten path. Maxwell frowned. As dusty as he remembered. A man sat in front of a dressing room mirror, adjusting his suit and hat. He slipped up several times, causing cards, scarves, and all manners of bits and bobs to fall out. He scrambled to pick them up, only getting a few items before he went tumbling to the floor. The man's glasses were knocked off his face and clattered behind him. He reached blindly for them before a slender, delicate hand picked them up and placed them on his face. "Careful, William. It's almost time..." A soft, seductive voice said. The man straightened his glasses before smiling at the woman in front of him. "Charlie..."

Maxwell jolted awake, positioning himself upright before a searing pain went up his back. He laid back down, the pain almost instantly relieved. He looked around from where he lie, attempting to see what was near. A fire was roaring among a circle of stones, a small pot nestled in the center. He could almost feel the presence behind him. "Why'd you do it? It would've been so easy to leave-" A finger pressed against his lips to silence him. A bowl was placed next to him while he was rolled onto his back. A liquid was rubbed against his neck providing a burning sensation. Maxwell was about to protest when the sensation became much cooler and relaxing. "Aaaaaah." Maxwell could feel himself fall back to sleep.

Chapter 6: An Unexpected Ally

Maxwell awoke, the pain now gone. Looking over to the firepit, he saw a small, wiry figure stirring the contents of the pot. It brought up the stirring rod, tasting the few drops of liquid that remained on it. Apparently satisfied with the stew, the figure dipped a ladle into the pot and poured some of the contents into two crudely carved bowls. The figure turned around, allowing Maxwell another look at his savior's face.

In all honesty, Maxwell had expected it to be the strongman or perhaps that little firestarter. He would've never guessed it would be the mime that would survive down here. What was this fool's name? Ah yes. Wes. Wes placed one of the bowls by Maxwell, motioning for him to eat. Maxwell examined the contents of the bowl. Bits of bat wings and mushrooms floated in a thick brown broth. "Not exactly the feast of kings." Maxwell said, taking the bowl and bringing it up to his mouth. Not the best tasting thing he ever had, but it was filling. Maxwell peeked over the rim of his bowl and noticed the mime staring at him.

"You never did tell me why you saved me." Maxwell questioned. Wes scratched his chin then began to motion. Maxwell watched as he pointed to him and gestured to a small scar that lay on his cheek. "Hah. I remember that. That tentacle certainly got the drop on you." Wes nodded. He then motioned into the darkness and pointed to a much longer scar, much more recent than the other one on his arm. "I don't recall that one. You got that down here?" Wes nodded. "So you saved me because you'd rather have me running the show than Charlie?" Wes nodded furiously. Maxwell grinned menacingly. This was exactly what he needed. "So what's the plan?" Wes pulled out a scroll of parchment. On the top read, "The Portal"

Chapter 6: An Unexpected Ally

Maxwell awoke, the pain now gone. Looking over to the firepit, he saw a small, wiry figure stirring the contents of the pot. It brought up the stirring rod, tasting the few drops of liquid that remained on it. Apparently satisfied with the stew, the figure dipped a ladle into the pot and poured some of the contents into two crudely carved bowls. The figure turned around, allowing Maxwell another look at his savior's face.

In all honesty, Maxwell had expected it to be the strongman or perhaps that little firestarter. He would've never guessed it would be the mime that would survive down here. What was this fool's name? Ah yes. Wes. Wes placed one of the bowls by Maxwell, motioning for him to eat. Maxwell examined the contents of the bowl. Bits of bat wings and mushrooms floated in a thick brown broth. "Not exactly the feast of kings." Maxwell said, taking the bowl and bringing it up to his mouth. Not the best tasting thing he ever had, but it was filling. Maxwell peeked over the rim of his bowl and noticed the mime staring at him.

"You never did tell me why you saved me." Maxwell questioned. Wes scratched his chin then began to motion. Maxwell watched as he pointed to him and gestured to a small scar that lay on his cheek. "Hah. I remember that. That tentacle certainly got the drop on you." Wes nodded. He then motioned into the darkness and pointed to a much longer scar, much more recent than the other one on his arm. "I don't recall that one. You got that down here?" Wes nodded. "So you saved me because you'd rather have me running the show than Charlie?" Wes nodded furiously. Maxwell grinned menacingly. This was exactly what he needed. "So what's the plan?" Wes pulled out a scroll of parchment. On the top read, "The Portal"

I knew it was wes!

Chapter 7: The Plan

Maxwell went over the plan for the dozenth time or so. He had to admit that this plan was rather ingenious. They had found his door, allowing them access to the path to the throne. Even then, they'd have to go through Charlie's hellish gauntlet of worlds. That's where the writing came in. There were two sets of notes: one written in a hurried scrawl and another extremely neat. If Maxwell were a betting man, he'd have said that the messy one belonged to Dr. Higgsbury and the neat one to that librarian Wickerbottom. According to their notes, they planned to used parts from the "teleportato" as they called it, and modify the door to allow them to bypass the gauntlet and go straight to the throne. The issue was that during a hound attack, the "potato" had been knocked into the newly opened sinkhole and lost. Without it, the project could not be completed. That didn't explain why they elected to send Wes down here as opposed to someone more......capable. But Maxwell didn't have the energy to ponder this for much longer. It was the end of his shift which meant sleep. Wes popped out of the tent and began to tend to the fire, motioning for Maxwell to enter it. He didn't need to be told twice. Maxwell went into the tent, made himself comfortable on the furs that covered its floors, and went to sleep.

Charlie was furious. She had failed to prevent that little insignificant mime from reaching Maxwell. She banged the board in blind fury. Then she watched as the pieces began to scatter as the board continued shaking. Her mouth twisted into a cruel grin. "That'll do....."