This Game is BETA. (believe it or not)

Dijad

It seems that every day we get new suggestions that sound like complaints on lack of midgame/endgame content, or boredom after a certain amount of days, or lack of recipes or challenges. We need to all remember that "This Game is a BETA".

This keeps popping up, and I think the main reason for it is the unprecedented level of polish this game has for what the devs call an "alpha". Most games that are released alpha these days are bug ridden messes that are OBVIOUSLY unfinished right from the first load up of the game. We've become accustomed to this, and when a game like Dont Starve comes along, it's hard for us to wrap our minds around the glorious concept that this is only the beginings

I believe we've only seen the tip of what is to be a veritable iceberg, and the most beautiful thing of all is that we as players are getting a rare chance to truly help shape what that iceberg is going to look like once it's revealed for all it will be. So be patient, rove these forums, and make sure your suggesting a true idea, not just commenting on a seeming lack of content.

Edited by Dijad
TEH GRAMMERS!!

I think the problem comes from 2 issues:

- You're paying for the full game but only getting a beta experience. Normally games in beta invite a few people in but they don't charge of it. It's only recently that this new trend of paying in advance and getting beta access has started. People are not used to it.

- Also, most betas have all the content done and are working out the bugs. This game is different in the way that there are few bugs but very limited content.

Beta is just the last stage of pre-release. They went in early so it'll be a long beta. The fact that shooters and MMOs use beta as a time to give players a demo while they stress test their servers is what makes beta confusing for some. Also it's advertised as Early Beta access wherein you pay a fraction of final price for early beta access and the final game.

I think the real issue is again people not focusing on the fact that it's beta and looking for a reason to complain, plenty of people paid $26 for early access to the Minecraft beta and they did the exact same thing, complained about every bug like it was an insult that they were being forced to play through unfinished material.

It's human entitlement not a miscommunication.

- You're paying for the full game [...]

No they are not.

Some quotes from the Don't Starve page on Steam's Store:

Available: Early 2013
The game is not ready.
Pre-Purchase Don't Starve

Includes two copies of Don't Starve - Send the extra copy to a friend!

-20%$14.99$11.99 USD

Again, the game is not ready. Not only that, but you are paying a reduced price for 2 copies of the game. You are paying $5.99 a piece, for a $14.99 game.
Key Features:
  • Constant Updates:
    Join an active community that is helping to shape the game for release! Provide feedback and joint discussions with the community and developers.

Helping to shape. That entitles creation, not refinement.

Whoever though this game was finished needs to pay more attention and pay less omgdiscountgameonsteamhavetobuynowandcomplainlater.

I assumed the game was early alpha, and that's one of the reason I jumped in (Like MineCraft). It's always cool if one of your ideas gets added to the game.

But you need to remember that this is the normal process in development. Ideas are thrown at the developers and they either think it's a good idea or it's bad. Stagnation of ideas is bad, unless the game has reached it's finalized point in development. The game is in Alpha/beta, adjustments are going to occur and be tweaked constantly. Anyone whose against this process shouldn't be involved in the process.

I love the idea of buying a game early when it is in alpha/beta and see it develop. You pay a lower price for it and continually get more content for your money to enjoy. You do however need to take it that it is not a finished game and adjust your expectations accordingly. Bugs are a given, content might not go the way you want it to develop and even the game itself may end up being something different than what you feel in love with.

You really don't get it, right? He doesn't mean that the game doesn't need improvements, he means that the game is NOT FINISHED, so, the experience you get in the game now isn't exactly like the one you'll get when it IS finished. So, it is pointless to discuss about improvement in a prototype, since it isn't done, everything it does is improving.

The idea is this: The game isn't finished. That fact is clearly stated. The devs have asked us to be apart of the creative process. That has been clearly stated. They have stated in the forums(where people are posting) that they have ALOT more content to add, and that all that is available now is early game content. Only ONE (1) mid game content item has been released, and that is the tree demon. That means there are new need bars, new creatures, new enviromental hazards, new items, new dangers, new balances to existing (and, dare say, balances to that new content) all in the works. So when a cry for new content comes out, it's pointless whining. Why? Because to assume that the devs DON'T know there is a lack of content and challenge after 30 days of game time is just plain lazy. Just read the longest play time thread in general discussion.

Some of these numbers are... most impressive! You realize that once you get past day 50 or so you are exploring territory that the devs haven't even really mapped out yet, right?

Y'all are cosmonauts of DS-space!

One thing that I want to do is make the game change over time as you survive longer. Maybe the length of the night waxes and wanes, or new creatures start to get introduced, or rainy season begins. The world should keep you on your toes every 25 days or so.

Also, for people who just like to build things without worrying too much about survival, I'm seriously considering a separately-tuned easy mode. The normal mode would still be the main game, but there would be something there for people who want a more relaxing experience. Kind of like the survival/creative split in Minecraft.

Kevin clearly states above that once you go past 50 days, you're treading in game time they havent released ANYTHING for yet.

I'll never understand the argument that you shouldnt try to improve a game simply because it's in beta.

The issue here is not about the people who try to improve the game. The issue here is about the people who seem to complain about a lack of content. They all knew what they bought (as it was clearly stated from the beginning) and they should act accordingly.

The issue here is not about the people who try to improve the game. The issue here is about the people who seem to complain about a lack of content. They all knew what they bought (as it was clearly stated from the beginning) and they should act accordingly.

Agreed, also gamers who bought the game are not forced to play the early version/beta. I see the beta as an extra incentive, but you can also just wait until the final launch and thus have a lot more content for the current low price, it just takes a bit of patience.

Funny thing, I LOVE this game, but to prevent myself from burning out on it, I'm waiting play until just after each update. I'll play a couple of days, try out the new items, the new challenges, interact with the new creatures, post some feedback and ideas, then go on to play other stuff till the next update. The game isnt really MEANT to be played past the first month of ingame time at this point, and, to a degree, any experimentation done after then is abit wasted (just to me, others enjoy it), because there is so much more to be added and balanced.

As to my OP, in short, one can complain of lack of content when the devs slap the "finished" label on the game. If the game still feels short of content at that point (it most assuredly WONT), cry foul to the high heavens. Till then, enjoy the game for what it is RIGHT NOW in your own way.