What do you think of these ideas?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of these ideas?

• I like all of them.
    • I like most of them.
    • I like some of them.
    • I don't like any of them.
    • Other (please specify in a post)

True. I think that as the game evolves maybe the DEVs will remove some or all of the land bridges and allo players to create boats or rafts to reach other islands. Or build bridges. ;)

I do like the idea of having different climates for islands, especially if seasons are never introduced.

Aquatic Ideas

An idea compilation by Air

Well, hello. This is my first post on these forums, but I think I'd like to contribute some ideas! I am pretty new to the game, but I think I have enough knowledge to be able to provide something of interest and relevance.

I am also aware Boats have been briefly suggested before, however this is a much more in-depth explanation of the idea as well as some other ones that will help back up the need for Boats and their different tiers. This compilation is divided into sections, and I will continually add to these as I get feedback (hint, hint).

Much like the vegetable patches/seed growing patches (already forgetting the name!) there will be different tiers and speeds of boats. The first one will be pretty slow, so it'll be a pain in the bum for going long distances - or fighting a sea monster, or even fighting against a pirate ship! However, it'll be nice and relaxed for you to get out your fishing rod and catching some lovely fish.

Section 1: Building the Boats

So you've exhausted your group of islands of anything interesting and new.. You want to go and explore the big, wide ocean - but you have no idea what's out there. The only way to find out is to make a boat. However, will you risk making a cheap boat to get to your destination at little cost but high risk (how gutted would you be if you died because your boat hit a rock and was sunk!?!), or are you going to spend weeks gathering materials and supplies to create the warship of your dreams?

Boat Parts

Boats will consist of three main parts. Hulls, Sails/Masts and Rudders. Storage (chests) can also be attached. Hulls are the most expensive in terms of research and rudders the least. An upgraded part requires the part on the level below. For example, to make a Medium Hull, you'd have to make a Small Hull first as well as include all of the other necessary materials. I don't think boat building should be easy. Do you agree?

Hulls

Small Hull

Requires 2 Logs, 4 Planks??

Medium Hull

Requires 5 Logs, 10 Planks, Small Hull

Large Hull

Requires 10 Logs, 15 Planks, Medium Hull

Epic Hull

Requires 15 Logs, 20 Planks, Large Hull

Sails

Small Sail

Requires 1 Log, 1 Rope, 2 Twigs, 5 Silk

Medium Sail

Requires 2 Logs, 2 Rope, 3 Twigs, 7 Silk, Small Sail

Large Sail

Requires 3 Logs, 3 Rope, 4 Twigs, 9 Silk, Medium Sail

Epic Sail

Requires 4 Logs, 4 Rope, 5 Twigs, 12 Silk, Large Sail

Rudders

Small Rudder

Requires 1 Honey (as a sort of wax coating), 2 Planks

Medium Rudder

Requires 2 Honey, 4 Planks, Small Rudder

Large Rudder

Requires 3 Honey, 6 Planks, Medium Rudder

Epic Rudder

Requires 4 Honey, 8 Planks, Large Rudder

Storage

Add Chests to the recipe of the boat you are making. Large Boat and above.

Weaponry

Harpoon (functions like a spear usable on the sea). Would be used to kill sea monsters. Large Boat and above.

Requires Spear, 2 Rope, 2 Flint, 1 Honey (Waxing again :D)

Fishing

Fishing Net (required to pick up sea monster drops, and to, obviously, fish on a larger scale while out to sea. Normal rods can still be used). Large Boat and above.

Requires 5 Rope, 5 Grass

Boat Types

Tier 1

Small Boat

Stats

Durability: Low. This boat won't take many hits from monsters or pirates!

Storage: None. You hardly fit in this yourself!

Recipe: 1 x Small Sail, 1 x Small Hull, 1 x Small Rudder

Speed: Low. You aren't going escape - or get anywhere very quickly.

Tier 2

Medium Boat

Stats

Durability: Medium. You might take a few hits, but don't expect to survive for long.

Storage: None. Got a bit of leg room now, but still no room for any storage.

Recipe: 1 x Medium Sail, 1 x Medium Hull, 1 x Medium Rudder

Speed: Medium. You might be able to just get away, but don't count on it.

Tier 3

Large Boat

Stats

Durability: High.

Storage: 2 Chests' worth. Bring back them goodies!

Recipe: 1 x Large Sail, 1 x Large Hull, 1 x Large Rudder, 2 x Chest, 1 x Harpoon, 1 x Fishing Net

Speed: High. Speed through the seas!

Weaponry: 1 Harpoon

Fishing: 1 Fishing Net (Catch rate: Slow)

Tier 4

Epic Boat

Stats

Durability: Very High.

Storage: 4 Chests' worth. Ahoy!

Recipe: 1 x Epic Sail, 1 x Epic Hull, 1 x Epic Rudder, 4 x Chest, 2 x Harpoon, 2 x Fishing Net

Speed: Very High. Get to your destination in tip top speed!

Weaponry: 2 Harpoons

Fishing: 2 Fishing Nets (Catch rate: Faster)

Section 2: Manning the Boats

Edited by Air

Welcome to the forums! and what a great first post.

Boats:

It is indeed an interesting idea. If you can manage to fit boats into the scope of the game. With the feel being along the lines of lost and stranded you have to imagine that boats might take away from that a little bit. But don't get me wrong i do like the idea of making some ghetto raft that drifts you onto a new island at the cost of never returning to your previous one.

Boat parts:

I agree. Building something with such a huge reward should not be very easy. Keep in mind that research points are considered a thing of the past and they do want to completely remove this system. Otherwise i think your ideas for materials are pretty well thought out. Especially the wax requirements for rudders :D

Boat types:

I'm curious on what you mean by this idea. I assume you mean that the ocean as a biome should be expanded in general. We should be able to attempt to a new island in a boat we control but along the way we are attacked by several threats that may kill us. We should lose all our items to the ocean and respawn at our meat effigy (If we have one). Although it does sound very very interesting. I think the scope of the game loses a bit of focus if we are having pirate battles.

I think it's fun personally.

they want to do this :

Story mode:

You will be able to build a one-way portal in each world that will take you to a newly generated world. This world will be harder and may be lacking in certain resources or have new types of challenges. You will come into this world carrying whatever you had in your inventory when you left the last one, so pack your backpack carefully. Once you escape from enough worlds, you learn the terrible secret of Don’t Starve. Doing so will unlock some of the more unbalanced options in Free Play mode.

I don't like teleport idea, so Boats can do their job.

Welcome to the forums! and what a great first post.

Boats:

It is indeed an interesting idea. If you can manage to fit boats into the scope of the game. With the feel being along the lines of lost and stranded you have to imagine that boats might take away from that a little bit. But don't get me wrong i do like the idea of making some ghetto raft that drifts you onto a new island at the cost of never returning to your previous one.

Boat parts:

I agree. Building something with such a huge reward should not be very easy. Keep in mind that research points are considered a thing of the past and they do want to completely remove this system. Otherwise i think your ideas for materials are pretty well thought out. Especially the wax requirements for rudders :D

Boat types:

I'm curious on what you mean by this idea. I assume you mean that the ocean as a biome should be expanded in general. We should be able to attempt to a new island in a boat we control but along the way we are attacked by several threats that may kill us. We should lose all our items to the ocean and respawn at our meat effigy (If we have one). Although it does sound very very interesting. I think the scope of the game loses a bit of focus if we are having pirate battles.

I think it's fun personally.

Okay then, and thanks! I'll get rid of the research points bit for now. And by pirates, I was sort of thinking you would be targeted by.. rebellious pigs who have taken to the sea? I have this funny image in my head of the pig-men running around in stripy shirts and sailor suits, lol.

This is my first post on these forums, but I think I'd like to contribute some ideas! I am pretty new to the game, but I think I have enough knowledge to be able to provide something of interest and relevance.

And I always love discussing suggestions, so post away. :)

I am also aware Boats have been briefly suggested before, however this is a much more in-depth explanation of the idea as well as some other ones that will help back up the need for Boats and their different tiers. This compilation is divided into sections, and I will continually add to these as I get feedback (hint, hint).

Well until Kevin tells us boats are in and how they work, or he tells us there will never be boats, I think it's perfectly fine to discuss them at length. I for one have always been pro-boat and anti-bridge. Of course when I saw boat, I'm also referring to rafts, because I would like to think that any good survivor would start off building one of those rather than getting "all fancy like" with a boat from the get-go. ;)

Much like the vegetable patches/seed growing patches (already forgetting the name!) there will be different tiers and speeds of boats. The first one will be pretty slow, so it'll be a pain in the bum for going long distances - or fighting a sea monster, or even fighting against a pirate ship! However, it'll be nice and relaxed for you to get out your fishing rod and catching some lovely fish.

In other threads the general ideas for threats faced at sea included sea monsters (krakens, serpents, ect), jagged rocks, whirlpools, storms, and ghost ships. I know pirates were mentioned once, but I was against the idea as I didn't want any other humans involved. Now you're suggesting rogue pig men... I'm not sure. I would instead suggest something new. Maybe another species other than pig or monkey.

Boats will consist of three main parts. Hulls, Sails/Masts and Rudders. Storage (chests) can also be attached. Hulls are the most expensive in terms of research and rudders the least. An upgraded part requires the part on the level below. For example, to make a Medium Hull, you'd have to make a Small Hull first as well as include all of the other necessary materials. I don't think boat building should be easy. Do you agree?

Hmmm. Reminds me of a game I used to play... Master of Orion. Mmmm. Not sure a game about surviving on islands has enough content to merit a complicated ship building mechanic. I think you might be better off suggesting 3-4 tiers of boat the player could research and build.

In another thread I myself made some suggestions, which were (starting from teh lowest tier):

1) Raft - Poor speed (Wind power), Poor maneuverability (paddle), Fuel (N/A)

2) Sailboat - Average speed (Wind power), Average maneuverability (rudder), Fuel (N/A)

3) Paddlewheel Boat - Average speed (Rabbit-powered single paddlewheel), Good maneuverability (rudder), Fuel (Vegetables)

4) Steamengine Boat - Good speed (Steam-powered twin paddlewheels), Good maneuverability (rudder), Fuel (Wood)

These were just some suggestions, no suggested resource costs or anything, but I assume logs for rafts, and then upscaling to wooden boards for the other boats. Sure you could keep going beyond this, but why bother? Unless maybe Klei wanted to introduce something more spectacular.

Personally I liked the idea of catching rabbits and placing them into a running wheel so they can power your boat... :p

Storage

Add Chests to the recipe of the boat you are making. Large Boat and above.

Yes, this topic came up too. I made a simple suggestion. That each tier of the boats allows slightly more inventory to be stored on them. And those inventory slots would be: 6, 8, 10, 12. Obviously if the boat sank then everything stored on the boat would be lost.

Weaponry

Harpoon (functions like a spear usable on the sea). Would be used to kill sea monsters. Large Boat and above.

Requires Spear, 2 Rope, 2 Flint, 1 Honey (Waxing again :D)

Hmmm. I never gave this too much thought. A harppon would be an interesting weapon to have. It wouldn't need to be connected to the boat, per say, but equipped by your character and something you could hurl at an enemy.

Fishing

Fishing Net (required to pick up sea monster drops, and to, obviously, fish on a larger scale while out to sea. Normal rods can still be used). Large Boat and above.

Yup, fishing was one idea that was connected to sailing the sea. However another user made a novel suggestion once, saying it would be interesting if we could catch lobsters or crabs. I thought it was a good idea and suggested maybe we could craft traps, similar to those used for hunting rabbits/birds and add an extra step, a floater of some kind attached by a rope. That way you would drop the trap into the sea and it would be attached by the rope to the "balloon" that would sit on the water. When a lobster/crab was caught the "balloon" would bob up and down and you could click on it to retreive your trap.

Well until Kevin tells us boats are in and how they work, or he tells us there will never be boats, I think it's perfectly fine to discuss them at length. I for one have always been pro-boat and anti-bridge. Of course when I saw boat, I'm also referring to rafts, because I would like to think that any good survivor would start off building one of those rather than getting "all fancy like" with a boat from the get-go. ;)

Hmm, yeah. Maybe my tier 1 boat could just be a raft.

In other threads the general ideas for threats faced at sea included sea monsters (krakens, serpents, ect), jagged rocks, whirlpools, storms, and ghost ships. I know pirates were mentioned once, but I was against the idea as I didn't want any other humans involved. Now you're suggesting rogue pig men... I'm not sure. I would instead suggest something new. Maybe another species other than pig or monkey.

I was definitely thinking about whirlpools, storms, rocks, krakens, serpents and possibly turtles! And yes, another species would probably make it more interesting if there were to be pirates of another species.

Obviously if the boat sank then everything stored on the boat would be lost.

Yeah, this is another idea - I want the boat to sink slowly, so you have to slowly and agonizingly watch your character die! Might be a bit cruel, but will give people time to panic!

Yup, fishing was one idea that was connected to sailing the sea. However another user made a novel suggestion once, saying it would be interesting if we could catch lobsters or crabs. I thought it was a good idea and suggested maybe we could craft traps, similar to those used for hunting rabbits/birds and add an extra step, a floater of some kind attached by a rope. That way you would drop the trap into the sea and it would be attached by the rope to the "balloon" that would sit on the water. When a lobster/crab was caught the "balloon" would bob up and down and you could click on it to retreive your trap.

Definitely. I'm going to write another section in a bit - 'controlling' the boats and how that would work, maybe.

I agree with boats as a cut scene to move to a different world for "endless play mode". You would only able to bring items on your inventory with you.

But not as another play area like sea monsters etc as this takes away the focus of surviving on the island and its beauty and the effort placed on the seasons, monsters etc. Also it is a bit hard to port the hunger/sanity system on a boat as well. I would much rather they focus the mountain of jobs they have to do now.

Perhaps this could be on Don't starve 2 (hopes).Survival in the middle of the ocean!!!

Boats: I´m wondering if there´s a way to introduce boats, if I was stranded on an island I´d try to get off by building a boat, that is, IF I could see more land in the distance. Maybe that would be the only way to reach certain biome islands with certain resources, animals, nasties, bosses... thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

crap sorry, didn´t know it had been brought up before :(

I like the idea of boats being used to move from world to world in story mode. But also would like to see biome islands only accessible via boat. I think steam boats and the like are a bit much. But a raft with small sail or small canoe with paddles, that would be nice. Since they´re small, there would be risk involved with going out while there´s a storm, and maybe a storm could start while you are out on the water. It could be contained on the map (meaning the map edge) via deep waters which you can´t go past or die due to shark or something.

Boats: I´m wondering if there´s a way to introduce boats, if I was stranded on an island I´d try to get off by building a boat, that is, IF I could see more land in the distance. Maybe that would be the only way to reach certain biome islands with certain resources, animals, nasties, bosses... thoughts?

Yes... I pretty much agree with what you've describe. :)

crap sorry, didn´t know it had been brought up before

True, the boat suggestion isn't new, but it doesn't bother me. It just gives me more opportunities to talk about boats! :D

NEVER!

Oh wait... I already did. Nuts. :p

Maybe the devs will provide some further information or interest in the idea :D

Mmmm. I worry about this wonderful idea. Ever since the Devs mentioned "portals to other worlds" it struck me that we wouldn't need a means to travel between islands because we would just explore everything and then enter the portal to continue. I hope I'm wrong.

Mmmm. I worry about this wonderful idea. Ever since the Devs mentioned "portals to other worlds" it struck me that we wouldn't need a means to travel between islands because we would just explore everything and then enter the portal to continue. I hope I'm wrong.

Seeing how Maxwell poofs in and out at the start. I think that's how we will be moving through worlds.

There is no point in boats if they are just for traveling between already connected islands. However, if there were some hidden islands, that'd be nice, and maybe you could build a dock, or a port.

Also what I'd really like to see is an ocean biome, where you could fish for fish with greater variety. Maybe some added danger. All sorts of things.