Need help and advice on who i should pick

First of all i would like to know if it's possible to return the spools if the character don't click with me. Well i've been having a hard time choosing who i should pick, Wortox sounds like a jackpot because i hate traveling long distances all the time and the heal sounds fun but staying insane all the time don't sound appeling at all, and about wanda.. i mostly play wigifrid and her age mechanic sounds interesting, but i hear some say she is broken, others say she's horrible late game because no planar, does she need ruins rush to be effective ? i would like some advice from more experienced players... if it helps i've playing the game for around 2 months now, combat is not a problem for me but i hate having to bundle food before every chonky fight because mistakes happen and some numbers hurt a lot.

Edited by RozeMeteor
Tittle was bad writen

Until Wortox and Wanda get skill trees which neither of them have, and being DLC characters aren’t even guaranteed Will even get one…

But anyway, Until they get their skill trees Wortox is for Beginner players he literally spawns right out the starting gate with all his powers already unlocked and useable, all you need to do is be near an enemy and witness it die and the soul power is yours.

Souls are used for Teleporting, Squad healing & Hunger.

Wanda on the other hand is a experienced player character, she’s a literal glass cannon, with high damage but highly fragile… every bit of her kit has to be earned by going around the world gathering resources to craft each type of watch she has, unlike Wortox who only needs witness a few bees die..

Wanda will constantly lose health and it can only be restored using her age rewinding clocks, so healing items and healing foods are completely and totally useless to her..

Also she can’t use her healing clocks if she is suffering cold, or overheat or acid damage.

She gets crazy powerful late game, and no I dont give a rats behind about her not having Planar Damage… (Neither does Wortox BtW… ;))

• Like 1

I main wigfrid too and between those two id go with wanda, wortox is kinda boring atm, with wanda you can ruin rush or just clear the ancient archives for thulecite fragments. 

But if you include wurt i think she is the most fun to me, mostly bc of the change of style to wigfrid since she isnt that much of a early combat char. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RozeMeteor said:

i would like to know if it's possible to return the spools if the character don't click with me

No. You can unravel them for ⅓ what you paid.

about wanda.. i mostly play wigifrid and her age mechanic sounds interesting, but i hear some say she is broken, others say she's horrible late game because no planar

People say Wanda is broken because she has an item that saves a lot of time, but it's very expensive and ends up costing a lot more time than it saves. But they ignore that and only look at what it saves, so they think she's overpowered.

does she need ruins rush to be effective?

No.

i would like some advice from more experienced players...

I think both of those characters are super boring and Wormwood is super cool, but you said you struggle with healing so you'd have a hard time with him and probably wouldn't like him.

if it helps i've playing the game for around 2 months now, combat is not a problem for me but i hate having to bundle food before every chonky fight because mistakes happen and some numbers hurt a lot.

If you have bundling wrap you have jellybeans, which are way better at healing than food is. You can also use other sources of healing such as healing salves and bat bats.

39 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Until Wortox and Wanda get skill trees which neither of them have, and being DLC characters aren’t even guaranteed Will even get one…

Baseless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wortox is for Beginner players

Very beginner friendly that he gains less from normal foods and if he eats the souls that he is supposed to loses a bunch of sanity yeah that's what i can beginner character 

34 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

Very beginner friendly that he gains less from normal foods and if he eats the souls that he is supposed to loses a bunch of sanity yeah that's what i can beginner character 

Wortox can eat souls, and meatballs, or meaty stews. He is no where near as food restrained as say Warly…

Or even Wigfrid & Wurt, Sanity isn’t an issue either because unlike Walter her doesn’t gain sanity from Head Garlands, Tophats, or Tam’O, Wortox totally CAN!

As someone who advocates for a harder DST…. I personally think Wortox having enourmous horns should’ve had a huge downside of being unable to wear any head gear, but hey…. If I was designing the game- only RogueLite fans would enjoy the harshness I would spin on it..

Wormwood has an insane amount of all kinds of perks. He is a very unique character, and even his downside in my opinion is an upside because it makes managing health more fun and that's the main point of playing the game. 

Wanda is the dlc character I play the most, and I hate her. I really wish her teleport clocks would be replaced with non-character exclusive item because it's the most powerful perk late game and I end up eventually swapping to playing Wanda in any world. But she is so boooooring. Managing health is not a thing. Managing sanity is pointless. She has the best weapon in the game, and while it's fun to use, you are pretty much stuck using it forever untill you get the reaper and that one is allegedly a little better for a couple of enemies. Wanda is not horrible late game people just take overpowered perks for granted in dst. She still deals more damage to planar enemies with her clock than Wilson ever will, and while she is vulnerable to planar damage - you can just not get hit, or at the very least wear bone armor and not get hit more than once every 5 seconds. 

Wortox is alright. Some say he dosen't save time because it's faster to walk than to farm souls, but I don't care. Farming souls is more fun than just walking. If you don't want to be insane just don't eat souls constantly. Meaty stew is a very busted hunger dish so make those. 

Wurt is fish. 

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wormwood is a DLC character and also has quite an intricate skill tree

Please stop spreading misinformation 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Spooky 1

Don't unweave your characters for spool, even if you don't like them for now! The point is to eventually unlock them all

For fast traveling via movement speed you have WX-78, Woodie, Wormwood, and pretty much everyone if you tame a beefalo. You don't NEED the teleportations from Wortox or Wanda even though that's convenient

Edited by b l a n k
  • Like 3

if you play past around day 1000 in a world, pick wanda. If you're a pub surfer and rarely keep long term worlds, pick wortox.

Wortox is better in a team. Wanda is better on your own.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChintzyGnat said:

Wes.

Imagine not unravel mandrake Wes to get the rest of the spools

Wurt and Wormwood sounds fun as well but i never really tried farm because Meat is so easy to get, guess i will take a look at a deep guide later

6 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Wormwood has an insane amount of all kinds of perks. He is a very unique character, and even his downside in my opinion is an upside because it makes managing health more fun and that's the main point of playing the game. 

Wanda is the dlc character I play the most, and I hate her. I really wish her teleport clocks would be replaced with non-character exclusive item because it's the most powerful perk late game and I end up eventually swapping to playing Wanda in any world. But she is so boooooring. Managing health is not a thing. Managing sanity is pointless. She has the best weapon in the game, and while it's fun to use, you are pretty much stuck using it forever untill you get the reaper and that one is allegedly a little better for a couple of enemies. Wanda is not horrible late game people just take overpowered perks for granted in dst. She still deals more damage to planar enemies with her clock than Wilson ever will, and while she is vulnerable to planar damage - you can just not get hit, or at the very least wear bone armor and not get hit more than once every 5 seconds. 

Wortox is alright. Some say he dosen't save time because it's faster to walk than to farm souls, but I don't care. Farming souls is more fun than just walking. If you don't want to be insane just don't eat souls constantly. Meaty stew is a very busted hunger dish so make those. 

Wurt is fish. 

My worst fear is losing the way to play others because Wanda is so unique

i love wortox, but after playing him so much, when you switch to another you realize walking places sucks, that good is teleporting around.
i see wanda as a "switch to it after" kind of character, since the full power of her kit does not unlock until at least the first winter for the materials for her teleporting clocks, she is often a popular pick for mega basing projects because of those clocks, creating a network of teleports around the map, even early, just having one clock that say "screw this, im going to base" is very powerful.

the other DLC characters are a bit different, wurt makes you play a different game, i personally dont enjoy her because i hate the aestethic of the swamp, and i hate fishing in the ocean, which are two things you need to unlock the full potential of her kit.
wormwood is regarded a very base focus character thanks to his ability to plant stuff with ease, but dont let that make you think he cant move around, fight, and be efficient in other aspects thanks to bloom, lightbulbs and his crafts

• Like 2

Wormwood is the most interesting to me out of all 4 DLC characters. His blooming mechanic is a bit confusing, but he is very fun even if you don't understand it. There is a little bit less incentive to play him if you don't enjoy farming, but he's still good even if you don't focus on that at all.

Wanda is better than some forumites say she is, but yeah her combat gameplay is pretty boring once you get alarming clock. People often forget how teamworking she can be, especially when playing with new players - using teleport she is almost always available if anything goes wrong with the base (clops, hound attack, sumemr fire, griefer) and she can revive people (basically for free) if they die (unless they die on a tentacle). Would be my pick if you plan on playing at least a year. You just need to rush shadow manipulator to feel her power, but to unlock the main perk, you're gonna need to either go to ruins or the archives.

Wortox is decent, but I'd say even more one note than wanda. Any wormwood or woodie would appreciate you (and every other team member too except for wanda) in any fight though. And the soul hopping is great. I mained him when they released him, but i kinda lost my interest in him.

Wurt is best in a team of wurts. Her small perks are great, her stats are great, her diet is a downside and an upside at the same time. Her followers are better than pigs (but worse than Maxwell's). I don't know, she isn't very interesting to me, but she isn't bland either. I see her best perk be that the fish spoil slower while held by her (sunfish and ice bream will keep you cold / warm for 4 days), but searching for them is a pain. I wouldn't pick her unless you are playing for longer than 1 year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GimplyGoose said:

You might be over thinking this a bit. I would suggest you pick whatever character you think would be fun to play. If Wortox sounds cool, get him.

It sometimes feels like more people are losing that philosophy each day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reecitz said:

It sometimes feels like more people are losing that philosophy each day.

i'm bad at making decisions myself.. still i can't deny that, competitive games tend to sink around meta chars and this often lead to a stale or unbalaced meta

30 minutes ago, RozeMeteor said:

i'm bad at making decisions myself.. still i can't deny that, competitive games tend to sink around meta chars and this often lead to a stale or unbalaced meta

That's the thing, though: is DST supposed to be a competitive game or not?

• Like 1
  • Sanity 2

57 minutes ago, RozeMeteor said:

I own every character in the entire game across both Dont Starve & it’s Sequel DST, unlocking characters in Solo DS was always the most fun part of the game for me, I couldn’t wait to try out my newly unlocked character to find out what type of gameplay they had, their strengths, their weaknesses etc…

And klei may be slightly unaware of it but even with their character reworks and skill trees they add more depth to their wacky cast of playable characters.

As just one example: Willow is the only character in the entire game who can stand in the middle of a raging forest fire and be completely immune to fire damage, yet her downside of rapidly losing health when she is cold means that fighting Klaus with her is far more difficult than most other characters.

And that’s just an example of the depth on display here.

Wortox is labeled as a “Monster” so this means that normally peaceful mobs, like Pigmen will attack him on sight.

Meanwhile.. Catcoons will steal WANDAs clocks and take them back to their stumps if she happens to drop them on the ground.

Theres significant gameplay differences with each character & that’s one of the things I love about DS/DST.

Its more than I can say for the disappointing SS Kill Justice League game, where every character plays almost exactly the same way..

With DS/DST WHO you pick to play as will directly (and sometimes indirectly…) determine how your gameplay will be.

Wortox for example will collect souls of anything he is near when it dies, however if Wortox gathers more than 20 souls he will be deemed as too greedy and he will suffer negative consequences.

Anyone who has ever played this game with several players playing as Wendy, can tell you that Abigail destroying hordes of Spiders & Frogs near Wortox if he isn’t careful of his soul limit can be a very dangerous thing.

I would suggest looking up extensive guides on each character.

A lot of people suggest Wormwood, but what they fail to tell you… is that wormwood rapidly looses sanity when he witnesses his “friends” get destroyed (other players chopping trees, plucking flowers, or in willows case… burning down entire forests!)

I don’t want to turn this post into a 475 page novel, so TL:DR do your research, and then “Eventually” probably just unlock all the characters so you can play as who you want, when you want anyway.

• Like 1