What's your favorite way to get food?

Recently i read a post about drying racks, and it made me think about all the alternatives we have to amass food in this game. so Im just here asking you what is your favorite way to get food and why(not to store or conserve food), i dont really care if its not the best or the optimal way to get food, a videogame is to have fun :p. Personally i like to use the always available combo, of course im talking about kelp farm and tallbird pens. This combo is always available on the surface world no matter the season, and after the addition of tall scotch eggs this is my fav way to get easy and strong stats food without caring too much about the weather.

• Like 2
  • Hunger 1

i don't care a lot about crock pots (i still craft them) honestly and farms too.

If i see a koalefant track i follow it and then i kill the koalefant, and for the veggies i just grab them when i am walking around the map.

I know that this sounds stupid, but not creating any type of farm to get food in an alone world is actaully a viable strategy, and you don't lose the time in the process of making these farms.

• Like 4
  • Hunger 1

3 minutes ago, Sacco said:

i don't care a lot about crock pots (i still craft them) honestly and farms too.

If i see a koalefant track i follow it and then i kill the koalefant, and for the veggies i just grab them when i am walking around the map.

I know that this sounds stupid, but not creating any type of farm to get food in an alone world is actaully a viable strategy, and you don't lose the time in the process of making these farms.

this is actually a funny way to play the game, i like to try a nomadic way of life when playing wigfrid or during a public match, i agree with you, you dont really need to make a farm to survive. :-D

• Like 1

I subsist almost entirely off meaty stew. The hunger value is just far too efficient for me to consider anything else and the ingredients come from activities I'd usually be doing anyway:

• Meat: from bosses, mactusk, goats, pigs
  • Monster meat: from hound waves / cookie cutters
  • Leafy meat: from brightshades
  • Frog Legs / Drumsticks: from frog rain / moose/goose

They pair really well with bundling wraps too. I typically wrap stews with light bulbs and ingredients I find from hound waves n'such. You can stack 40 in a single slot and only re-bundle once every 4 days if you take 2 out at once.

I don't usually bother with sanity food but banana shakes would be the go-to for that. For health I just use jellybeans.

• Like 1

Depends on the character of course but with 6-8 bee boxes that is more than enough to sustain most characters I play throughout the entire year. I always have my fridge filled with honey and I stock-up usually around summer or fall and it lasts from 1-2 seasons for me so I don't end up having to pick constantly. 

My favourite farms I learned from the streamer Wattta. For pierogi farms I find the frog biome and build one bunny house per frog pool. Even six of these will yield like 20-30 pierogis in one day. If the frog ponds are far from base I'll actually setup crockpots there. I grab decon staffs and construction amulets to quickly build this after ruins rushing. My second favourite farm is a tallbird farm. 3 tallbirds + 2 bunny hutches + 2 pig houses will consistently produce a ton of meat and eggs for scotch eggs. 

For Wormwood I typically get 10 or so mushroom logs up and running. Five or six of those are dedicated to red shrooms. Every time I make a round I'm able to get 30-40 red caps per go which lasts several days even if I'm farming some living logs. 

I went from complex crockpot dishes, to raiding lunar island (for stone fruits and kelp) to finally just doing the minimal thing for sustainable farms. The less clicks the better for me. 

• Like 1

i love setting up and operating a Barnacle farm when playing Wickerbottom. Barnacle linguine is the perfect late game general food for her. 75 hunger and 20 sanity to cover random day to day book reading. (And 10 hp to cover small injuries.)

Sleepytime Stories lets u harvest the barnacles whenever u want and Horticulture Expanded grows the stone fruit. 

This is the epitome of late game luxury to me :lol: especially with the addition of the bearger bin. 

I enjoy making a lot of other fancy dishes when playing Wickerbottom too actually like veggie burgers, surf&turf, creamy potato puree and salsa fresca. And for my beefalo: beefalo treats, flower salads and trail mix. 

Her books make gathering many different  ingredients fun for me :rolleyes:

——

The other half of the time im playing Wormwood and just eating random garbage basically :lol: since u only need hunger from ur food as wormwood it can get pretty boring.

But since the fast picking skill got added i like growing wild corn/pumpkins for hunger and turning all the meat i get into rotten eggs for healing. The frequent replanting is especially nice pre-CC crown when im using dreadstone helmet so im low sanity all the time. 

later in the game i eat mostly cooked bananas gathered from banana bushes with the scythe and retrieved by my little carrats. 

(And tons of cooked green caps to power CC crown) 

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 2
  • Hunger 1

8 minutes ago, loonreaper said:

Depends on the character of course but with 6-8 bee boxes that is more than enough to sustain most characters I play throughout the entire year. I always have my fridge filled with honey and I stock-up usually around summer or fall and it lasts from 1-2 seasons for me so I don't end up having to pick constantly. 

My favourite farms I learned from the streamer Wattta. For pierogi farms I find the frog biome and build one bunny house per frog pool. Even six of these will yield like 20-30 pierogis in one day. If the frog ponds are far from base I'll actually setup crockpots there. I grab decon staffs and construction amulets to quickly build this after ruins rushing. My second favourite farm is a tallbird farm. 3 tallbirds + 2 bunny hutches + 2 pig houses will consistently produce a ton of meat and eggs for scotch eggs. 

For Wormwood I typically get 10 or so mushroom logs up and running. Five or six of those are dedicated to red shrooms. Every time I make a round I'm able to get 30-40 red caps per go which lasts several days even if I'm farming some living logs. 

I went from complex crockpot dishes, to raiding lunar island (for stone fruits and kelp) to finally just doing the minimal thing for sustainable farms. The less clicks the better for me. 

but if a tallbird died the egg is gonna become an adult tallbird later, how do you use this efficiently? i mean i like to ranch tallbirds in individual pens and i use rabbits to distract them so i can get the eggs easily, i usually amass a good amount of blue eggs with this method but your method sounds interesting too.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Order from Walmart delivery?

oh ohhh you mean In DST, hmm well in that case I have to go with Wigfrid on this answer- Through glorious battle!

funny ghost girl, imagine that the skill tree of wendy comes with a new type of dish using mourning glories, mm yum spectral goo. :lol:

30 minutes ago, NekoSoulx said:

but if a tallbird died the egg is gonna become an adult tallbird later, how do you use this efficiently? i mean i like to ranch tallbirds in individual pens and i use rabbits to distract them so i can get the eggs easily, i usually amass a good amount of blue eggs with this method but your method sounds interesting too.

funny ghost girl, imagine that the skill tree of wendy comes with a new type of dish using mourning glories, mm yum spectral goo. :lol:

It's about timing and balance. I usually pick the eggs off when everything is dead every few days. Wattata made an extensive video about this farm that I think you'll find very intriguing:

This is one of my favourite farms but I really do prefer simplicity nowadays hence bee boxes (for applicable characters). If I play Wigfrid I base near frog ponds and set up the bunnymen auto farm. This one is much easier to manage as well because you build an enclosure with a carrot inside and you simply open the door if it during the day time when you want to collect the frog legs. In the late-game once you get a polar-bearger bin (or if you have gift wrap or bundle wrap) you just have to spend a few days at the ponds to get enough for most of the year. This is my preferred strategy with Wigfrid. 

• Thanks 1

I like sticking to lazy foods. Personally love making Butter Muffins and Breakfast Skillets to dump all the twigs into 37.5 hunger and 20 health, their recipe is laughably cheap.

A little masochistic, but I like setting up 10+ drying racks and then just stuff them with all the meat I can find to cover all 3 stats. Especially love doing that as Wickerbottom, through BotW + SS combo and Angler's book (though for the latter I do fishsticks / surf n turf more). Usually I chug Meaty Stew and then sleep if I wanna recover sanity/health, a nice excuse for a small break to talk in chat or sip some water and relax.

Big shoutout to Honey as well (very convenient with Bee Kind wormwood ;))

i love setting up and operating a Barnacle farm when playing Wickerbottom. Barnacle linguine is the perfect late game general food for her. 75 hunger and 20 sanity to cover random day to day book reading. (And 10 hp to cover small injuries.)

goddd I really wish horti worked on barnacles to mass produce tons of spaghetti, it's a cool food but painful to aim for

Edited by Riddla
  • Hunger 1

i used to love rushing bunny meat processing factories on pub servers. Basically you just mined a crap ton of rocks, got mats for winona catapults and hammered some bunny hutches. Then I would just plop the hutches down at base, enclose them with walls, create a little hallway with statues with a carrot baited on the outside and a gate to trap em in the hallway and then you just carry some meat and let the catapults go to work. It was extremely satisfying once it wall all up and running, tis a shame they nerfed bunny drops 

Edited by sudoku