Hello (not perfect English), maybe I should have posted in the suggestion thread, but I want to hear opinions because some of you are ok with them.

There are many skills that only improve stats ("improved X" like Improved Construction 1). I think it would be more interesting if ALL skills give a dupe a special ability, because they are called skills, not attributes (yes it's strange logic). Skills from the digging, medicine and science branch are working fine. You can see they give the colony elements of progression like digging through increasingly harder materials, curing more nasty diseases or unlock more technology for your base.

I can see why some proficiencies don't have more "real" skills because they are hard to design (or  are already aviable from the start). 

If I would add more skills (or change the "Improved X") it could look like this.

Improved Construction 1 -> Embedding - build pipes and wires in tiles/build tiles on pipes and wires (Utility - basically turn the vanilla ability into a skill)

Improved Construction 2-> Big Builder - construct bigger buildings (progression lock - construct buildings which are bigger than 3x3=9 tiles like Metal Refinery or Rock Crusher)

----

Improved Farming 1 ->  Compost Usage (why not)

Improved Farming 2 -> Floriculture - produce seeds from decoration plants 

Critter Ranching 2-> Release domesticated into the wild (undo domestication)

----

Improved Carrying 1 and 2-> I think they are very useful and powerful but they make strength for supplying less useful.It would fall into balancing. For these skills, I would like a skill which would give the dupe an ability to cram more materials into the internal storage capacity of a building so it can work longer per (full) delivery.

--- 

Improved Tinkering -> Equipment Tune-Up - Increase personal equipment's power for a short time (I'd like to see powered up excavators!) 

---

Improved Strength -> Mopping usage (why not)

On 3/27/2024 at 3:26 PM, axxel said:

Improved Strength -> Mopping usage (why not)

Requiring a trained skill to mop would probably be very bad.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Requiring a trained skill to mop would probably be very bad.

That was just an idea but I agree it would be unnecessarely hard for the player. I would prefer something like preventing off-gasing but this would trivialize many puzzle aspects of the game.

It would make sense if certain advanced buildings required a skill. Like a dupe with no points in building could build the same stuff robots can right now and each skill would unlock another tier of structures(based on the research level). The highest level would be needed for stuff you rarely ever build, like the molecular forge.

Maybe ranching 2 should be needed for wrangling flying critters. Tinkering could be required for using the metal refinery and glass forge.

On the contrary i think conveyor rails and chutes shouldn`t require mechatronics. Only the active parts, auto arms and loaders should keep the requirement.

22 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It would make sense if certain advanced buildings required a skill.

That would be kind of nice, i would go as far as not only the advanced ones but the mid tiers too, like steam turbines and so on. On one hand people would have to beeline their dupes into specializing (which is actually good), and more importantly, dupes would not be expendable as they are right now. Losing a higher ranking dupe would be catastrophic in that set up.

1 hour ago, melquiades said:

i would go as far as not only the advanced ones but the mid tiers too, like steam turbines and so on.

Steam Turbines already require the Electrical Engineering skill.

19 hours ago, melquiades said:

i would go as far as not only the advanced ones but the mid tiers too, like steam turbines and so on

I think with no construction skill dupes should be able to construct the same stuff as robots iirc that`s the first 2 tiers of research. Then each skill level in construction would unlock extra 2 tiers.

22 hours ago, pnambic said:

Steam Turbines already require the Electrical Engineering skill.

It has been so long since i started a new colony that i didn't know that was a thing already. :lol:

But it can be extended to almost every other building.