Let's talk treasure...

So... First off, I am aware that the sunken treasure spawned by pearl will only have 4 sunken treasures active at once, does any one know if taking the chest out of the water counts as its removal from the pool of treasures that can spawn, thusly making it so more can spawn? (the prospect of hoarding treasure seemed cool, adds to my pirate town) 

side note, does anybody know why the sunken chest (despite having full animations for it) needs to be hammered open rather then opened with a key? I could assume that the design team thought the sequence of events leading to you getting the treasure was out of the way as is, requiring another quest or a key just to open it could be a lot of time. 

However, frost jaw drops (bootleg getaway) makes this a non-issue, trade the guy some big fish, done deal. Warp, grab treasure, done.

Basically I would appreciate any of the following here...

1. Information on the sunken treasure pool and how it works
  2. opinions of the sunken chest loot and task to find it
  3. thoughts on the key being added back with rewards inside the chest as a result of opening it this way/ its usage a movable chest.

Thanks for reading my insane ocean/pirate based ramblings.   

• Like 2

Sunken chests suck. There's like 1 note worthy item inside (walking cane) and it has same drop rate as krampus sack from klaus which is really REALLY bad, especially since that drop is relevant only first 20 days before walrus shows up. To add salt to the wound, every message in a bottle has a 66% chance to have nothing at all and as far as I understand you only get 1 bottle per day or two. 

It's a reoccurring theme with almost every RoT update where the devs are putting incredible amounts of work to make sure everything they add is worthless. 

Screenshot_20240317-182714_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Yes once you reel a Sunken Chest out of the water it is no longer part of the pool so you may have more chest spawning !

As for why they cannot be opened... I don't know and it's SO unfortunate because everything is in place, not just the animations. :?

The loot is generated and stored like in a chest as soon as the chest is spawned from the bottle, they have 9 slots. It's really only a chest that can be carried on top, it's not as useful as it sounds because that's just "Backpack but worse" but they make for a sweet variety and has collisions. In addition this would also allow players to create their own treasure hunts in multiplayer as nothing would prevent you from putting items in them and hide them in the waters for friends to find with hints.

Bonus point if we could create X marks the spot ourselves on the map using the Cartographer Desk.

That's why this mod is absolutely amazing btw

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ZeRoboButler said:

So... First off, I am aware that the sunken treasure spawned by pearl will only have 4 sunken treasures active at once, does any one know if taking the chest out of the water counts as its removal from the pool of treasures that can spawn, thusly making it so more can spawn

Yes. When i accumulate a lot I take all the unread message in bottles and go for treasure hunting so i have always 4 marks, take 1 treasure and, when is already out of the water (you dont need to open them) i read bottles until a new 4th mark appears until i run out of bottles

You can have as much unopened chests as you want

Also while we're talking treasure, I would very much appreciate that giving the Broken Pearl back to the Crabby Hermit results in Message in a Bottles to always contain treasure hunts for players that already visited the island. I once had a 12 or so streak of no-treasure message this was absolutely awful. :/

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

some loot table upgrades would be nice, especially if crab king or cc have been defeated.

It would be nice if some of the stuff like boat repair kits and fishing rods and the like, where instead placed in parts of the deep ocean with flotsam from old ship like in ship wrecked.

ocean boons could help make the ocean feel nicer to explore, as well as give some helpful items to find for being at sea, hence the idea of boat patches and fishing junk or gnar-whale horns being in there instead of treasure chest. (weird that crab king would covet dead fish, cookie shells and fishing junk, although perhaps the fishing junk he got for pearl in his search for treasure) 

Do you think crab king is a wreck scavenger? it would be fun to know where got the stuff he found. 

Also thank you all who took the time to reply here, the information and ideas were a tremendous help! 

Edited by ZeRoboButler
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Sunken chests suck. There's like 1 note worthy item inside (walking cane) and it has same drop rate as krampus sack from klaus which is really REALLY bad, especially since that drop is relevant only first 20 days before walrus shows up. To add salt to the wound, every message in a bottle has a 66% chance to have nothing at all and as far as I understand you only get 1 bottle per day or two. 

It's a reoccurring theme with almost every RoT update where the devs are putting incredible amounts of work to make sure everything they add is worthless. 

Screenshot_20240317-182714_Chrome.jpg

If they added gnomettes as a 10% chance, I would farm it. Almost day 8000 and its a sausage party for my gnomies :(

• Haha 3

agreed that bottles should be 100% a treasure once the broken pearl is given back.

also agree that deer keys should open them instead of hammering.

while we're at it, change the seafarer loot table with a lunar/shade set instead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cybers2001 said:

If they added gnomettes as a 10% chance, I would farm it. Almost day 8000 and its a sausage party for my gnomies :(

Try hammering broken pseudoscience stations during your next ruins reset. They drop all trinkets. I'm in 6k megabase world and I have about 15 gnomettes from all those ruins clears I did over the years. 

1 hour ago, Lovens said:

Try hammering broken pseudoscience stations during your next ruins reset. They drop all trinkets. I'm in 6k megabase world and I have about 15 gnomettes from all those ruins clears I did over the years. 

I hammer them every reset already

Treasure chests are one of the most dissapointing things in dst.

While they ARE easy to get (though harder to find, you can just sail to the spot and activate a pinchin winchin), theres almost no point to it.

Add more stuff like lunar items or gems, maybe.

Exclusive treasure stuff too, instead of things you can get by other means.