Bed rolls and still being out dated.

Straw and fur rolls have a set amount of uses before disappearing, this feels like an outdated mechanic due to how they used to work in Singleplayer, skipping the night entirely and regaining HP stats instantly instead of putting the player in a sleeping state where they regain them over time. This makes sense in Singleplayer but not DST as the amount of use you can get out of a single one of these items becomes inconvenient and even wasteful depending on night length. This would also just make more sense as the stats are gained and lost overtime, so why not the durability too?

So I am hopefully trying to convince the devs to make the durability be based on time used like clothing. this would make people want to use these items more hopefully.

here are my stat listings if 1 use = 3mins of durability

• Straw roll (3 mins of durability) 
  • fur roll (9 mins of durability)
  • Tent & Siesta (20 mins of durability)

only the Tent & Siesta were lowered slightly because I feel like the amount of time they would've given for 15 uses might've been too good.

I also posted this in suggestions and feedback so hopefully it is seen more.

• Like 28

Wow, this would solve straw and fur rolls being extremely situational since you have to be as close to death and insanity as possible to get the most out of each use which is just super specific and extremely dangerous for an item that restores these stats overtime while you are vulnerable to anything and everything.

And no I don’t consider this as this item’s unique perk/design, it just falls so behind healing and restoring sanity with food (and more) compared to your other options that I see very few people actually use it, even though it’s great in concept!

I don’t think you should be totally beaten up and mentally wrecked just to make taking a nap worth it (as funny as it sounds)

10 minutes ago, ChintzyGnat said:

Main issue with these "healing" sources is that you have to stand still for around a minute to get some worth while healing.

But his proposed changes would do quite a heavy lifting regarding their use scenarios, as you'd be able to make a better use of your downtime. Things like sleeping for the last 30 seconds of the night or wating out a nightmare phase in the ruins.

• Like 6

I agree updating the tent and fur roll is a good idea. Also I imagine Walter's tent would have to fit into this balance somehow too. 

I can justify straw roll remaining the way it is though. It's an extremely janky and inconvenient way to recover, which feels both balanced and logically appropriate for a sleeping bag made out of straw. It's only real use is circumstantial early game stuff, but the same is true with the grass suit. Things made out of grass should be kinda crappy to give upgraded variants more room for improvement imo.

Honestly though I always thought the sleeping mechanic was clunky in DST (like you said, it was awkwardly adapted from DS). I kinda wish it did something different than recovery, since there are SO many more appealing options to heal already and there is nothing fun about watching your character sleep for three minutes. It's largely harmless and unintrusive, but also I don't know anybody likes it either. Reintroducing the "skip to morning" feature when all players are asleep might be a good start but I feel like there could be a more clever solution that fits the Don't Starve vibes better.

• Like 2

This change should be straw/fur roll-only, if you ask me. Nerfing tents down to twenty minutes of total use time would severely wreck Wormwood's ability to heal himself when mass-producing living logs. I spend multiple days asleep when making mushroom planters.

Setting straw/fur rolls to lose durability over time rather than having a set number of uses is a very good idea, though. I already like fur rolls for extended caving sessions as a sanity restoration method, but they'd be even better with what you said as long as you can still get the same amount of recovery out of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D_Good_Fellow said:

Also I imagine Walter's tent would have to fit into this balance somehow too. 

I forgor that existed.

Okay honestly, I didn't really consider multiplayer for the tents aswell, kinda forgot how many people might be using them frequently, so going off of the old number of 10 uses, I think 30 mins of durability for the Tent & Siesta would be fine, this would include Walters tent roll since that's still uniquely portable so it doesn't really lose anything

20 minutes of tent usage time is 1200 hp restored vs ~2100 hp if you gained 140 x 15. Honestly still would be good for wormwood at 1200 for the added flexibility of sleeping to top up. Also how often is number of tents the issue with we healing? Tents are pretty cheap so personally I would not care if they lost a little bit of healing potential for the convenience of being able to top up.

• Big Ups 1

8 minutes ago, GimplyGoose said:

20 minutes of tent usage time is 1200 hp restored vs ~2100 hp if you gained 140 x 15. Honestly still would be good for wormwood at 1200 for the added flexibility of sleeping to top up. Also how often is number of tents the issue with we healing? Tents are pretty cheap so personally I would not care if they lost a little bit of healing potential for the convenience of being able to top up.

If you need to top up use compost/rot

8hp for some twigs/grass 

The loss of 45 living logs per tent is rather large. Mass living log farming is great for having a surplus to restore mushroom planters later. 

Edited by HowlVoid

Getting chipped by temperature or literally any source of damage and instantly losing an entire use out of my 3 use fur roll despite just placing it down is the worst thing ever.

I'd absolutely favor the durability loss be over time and not instant.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

If you need to top up use compost/rot

8hp for some twigs/grass 

The loss of 45 living logs per tent is rather large. Mass living log farming is great for having a surplus to restore mushroom planters later. 

Tents are not the expensive part of that process, time is.

@HowlVoid I think you're exaggerating how bad this would effect Wormwood, I didn't even know this was a strat for him, I also said it could be raised to 30 mins durability if we go by the original amount of uses to help with multiplayer more.

1 hour ago, GimplyGoose said:

I just realized that I neglected to calculate that tents heal 2hp/s. 20 minutes of tent would heal 2400 not 1200.

I think it would be best if their durability was changed to time based, but using them immediately expended a short portion of time, maybe 15-30 seconds.

6 hours ago, ChintzyGnat said:

Main issue with these "healing" sources is that you have to stand still for around a minute to get some worth while healing.

Because spending 10 minutes gathering resources to heal is so much better than spending 30 seconds "standing still". The stigma against sleeping is a relic of Edgy Rick and his "pro" propaganda. The vast majority of players spend a lot of time standing around doing nothing, often with less-than-full stats, and they could easily be sleeping for no drawback but they don't because they heard sleeping is bad. Even if you're active every single second and trying super duper hard sleeping still isn't bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GimplyGoose said:

Tents are not the expensive part of that process, time is.

If you're at a point we're you're mass producing mushroom planters, then one tends to have plenty of time.

2 hours ago, WhackE said:

@HowlVoid I think you're exaggerating how bad this would effect Wormwood, I didn't even know this was a strat for him, I also said it could be raised to 30 mins durability if we go by the original amount of uses to help with multiplayer more.

Going by someones calculations of 105 living logs to 60 isn't an exaggeration? That's 45 living logs lost. That's 22 planters.

30min sounds a lot better, I didn't see that in your original post.

It's not really related to this thread so I apologize in advance for going off topic, but if Wormwood is growing mushrooms in mushroom planters, he reaches self sufficiency at 6 planters with his mushroom skills.

Each planter produces mushrooms at a rate of 24 per 12 days at the cost of a living log. If you subtract the 4 mushrooms you need to plant, you end up with 20 mushrooms left. The living log can be produced by Wormwood if he heals with 5 rot. If you take 5 mushrooms and let them rot that leaves you with 15 mushrooms. Each mushroom can be eaten for 12.5 hunger. This means each mushroom planter produces 15.625 hunger per day: (15*12.5)/12. Wormwood needs 90 hunger per day at full bloom, so 6 mushroom planters would theoretically sustain him indefinitely.

17 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I think it would be best if their durability was changed to time based, but using them immediately expended a short portion of time, maybe 15-30 seconds.

Because spending 10 minutes gathering resources to heal is so much better than spending 30 seconds "standing still". The stigma against sleeping is a relic of Edgy Rick and his "pro" propaganda. The vast majority of players spend a lot of time standing around doing nothing, often with less-than-full stats, and they could easily be sleeping for no drawback but they don't because they heard sleeping is bad. Even if you're active every single second and trying super duper hard sleeping still isn't bad.

Digging way to deep into my response lol