What would people think of a report system?

How many times did you get disappointed or wanted to report a player about the server name?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How many times you wanted to get disappointed or angry, or wanted to punish a player for a server name like the one listed in the article?

• 0-2
    • 3-8
    • 10+
  2. 2. Should there actually be a report system? (Display thoughts below if possible, please.

• Yes- The toxicity in server names SHOULD be stopped, if possible.
    • Wavering decision- This being added woukd be good and bad.
    • No- The community is fine expressing feelings like this, even if offensive.

Reporting. It sounds like a term you would never imagine in the game.  But it think this would help DST improve by warning or adding punishment system. This is because of offensive server names, particularly racist or targeting people. An example of this is the frequent use of the N- word in server names, or targeting YouTubers in the community (particularly big icons in the community or even klei.) I personally feel like this is a problem, mostly due to the fact that if people are making these server names, it means there are… bad people in the community. But even if only a small majority of players make offensive server names like this, I feel like it makes the server browsing a horrible place. There are so many good servers, but then there are server that ruin the browsing by adding their ‘creative’ server name. I can understand if you think this is overreacting or being sensitive, but in my opinion, Lots of people are just like that. I just really think it is disappointing to have this in the community, publicly seen. Even if the creator of these server names can be ignored and filtered and can be used by them, Other people probably don’t want to see it.

Positive side to adding report system:

- Remove horrible server names

- Warnings to the creator of the server names

Negative side to adding report system :

- people will find a way around it

- show off the way to get around not getting warned for their ‘creative’ server name.

( YES, YES, there is a filter button, but that doesn’t make you unsee it. Express feelings, but not like this!)

A reason I didn’t want to add a report system for the chat is because people have feelings. 

Extended information after a couple days of people’s thoughts:

(Something strange was that people don’t even see these servers)Not a report system, but something caught my eye. A filter was suggested. I realized that even if this does ever get added, which is already unlikely, Maybe two settings should be added into a filter system. One prevents seeing profanity, inappropriate phrases, etc. or see everything. No warnings or punish system was not wanted. I know a lot of people aren’t a big fan of censorship, but this could just be a simple feature. It better help finding servers that you’d WANT to join. This wouldn’t affect the chat. Summing it up, greifers would abuse a report system or even bypass the filter system (I don’t know why you would do this.) So, if you have an even BETTER solution, I’ll probably read your reply, or end this topic. 

Edited by Trontar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Alot of people will brainlessly compare this to minecraft but it is much different to minecraft. In dst you can join random servers easily from the menu, minecraft you needs ips or invites and such. In minecraft all servers are basically their own domains since they are not public from the game itself. (Which is why reporting in minecraft is kinda dumb since you can get banned from greifing or swearing)

Only extreme situations should be bannable, like hacking or leaking personal details, or setting up alts to kick everyone from the server. Greifing and things should be up to the server owner.

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Like 4
  • Health 1

17 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Alot of people will brainlessly compare this to minecraft but it is much different to minecraft. In dst you can join random servers easily from the menu, minecraft you needs ips or invites and such. In minecraft all servers are basically their own domains since they are not public from the game itself.

Only extreme situations should be bannable, like hacking or leaking personal details, or setting up alts to kick everyone from the server. Greifing and things should be up to the server owner.

This would be a good point. ‘Extreme situations’ , part. Would the low consistency of server names more offensive than twitter posts  be considered this? I can fully agree though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShadowLuna said:

Nope, most offensive server names are already filtered out by default and besides you don't have to join those private servers. 

Really? I always have to filter them. (Manually)

Edited by Trontar
Corrections

this is 50/50, sometimes they are funny, and sometimes really disgusting
server filter system overhaul would be better, a simple filter like "everyone is welcomed" would make finding team so much easier

• Sanity 1

Tbh i dont see why klei should waste time to ban servers just because a 12 years old kid wrote an offensive world and you cant ignore it... is just a word and kids being silly with them, you are acting like those kids wanna you to act

• Like 8

Ah yes the "Censorship" system similar like in Minecraft.

Nah no thanks.

56 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I haven't seen what you're describing.

Same

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

I think you're asking for too much from a game, especially a game that's over a decade old. Plus there's going to be a portion of the population who isn't a fan on big censorship. 

The only thing I'd want is a karma rating on players, which has no impact except displays their karma score (ie up voting or down voting a player, based on your judgment) 

That way if you see someone join your game with an overwhelmingly negative karma you have the right to either keep an eye on them or boot them. 

In gaming empowering the community's to self regulate is often the best solution 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wavey 1

26 minutes ago, Kwaik said:

I think you're asking for too much from a game, especially a game that's over a decade old. Plus there's going to be a portion of the population who isn't a fan on big censorship. 

The only thing I'd want is a karma rating on players, which has no impact except displays their karma score (ie up voting or down voting a player, based on your judgment) 

That way if you see someone join your game with an overwhelmingly negative karma you have the right to either keep an eye on them or boot them. 

In gaming empowering the community's to self regulate is often the best solution 

Yes cause that system totally is fool proof and wouldn't be abused by griefers to downvote to hell and back players who don't deserve it.

There are people who don't shy to use multipile accounts / "friends" to grief a server. You think it wouldn't be the same with the Karma system?

You'd be giving trolls another toy to play with at others expense.

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 3

The thing I hate the most in games are censorships. I am from the idea that everyone should say 100% of what's in their mind regardless of the words or the individual. However standards should be discussed before.

This system would have way too many flaws as it can hurt innocent people too. Besides that, we already got the vote kick option so for me it's fine like it is.

• Like 5

talking about reporting.

The vote kick needs a little improvement. When a griefer is being voted on to be kicked from a server, the griefer can leave the game to cancel the ongoing voting, which makes it possible to come back to the server.

This is a loophole that I see some griefers use for years. But it should be easy to be closed. Just allow the vote to continue after griefers left.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Yes cause that system totally is fool proof and wouldn't be abused by griefers to downvote to hell and back players who don't deserve it.

There are people who don't shy to use multipile accounts / "friends" to grief a server. You think it wouldn't be the same with the Karma system?

You'd be giving trolls another toy to play with at others expense.

Of course it would. But there's no direct consequences. You don't get autobanned or anything of the sort.  It's a tool for players to make decisions. 

Griefers are going to grief, but unless you're only playing with griefers it'll ultimately work out over time. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Trontar said:

...offensive server names...

1.There's already a filter - enable it, filters majority of licentious language; also it's just words, you can gloss over them; 2. I don't see where you're coming from, when I browse server listings (without any filter whatsoever mind you, words don't bother me at all - the old "sticks and stones" tired saying), I don't remember ever seeing anything to peak a second glancing a la "WTF?!", thus I reckon - at least on PC - such "bad language" cases seldom happen. That or I don't care to have it registered - am more preoccupied with filtering out mods, PvP, filtering in good ping, dedicated servers etc, technical stuff.

If actual in-game griefing is not touched upon by KLei - a thing that effectively jeopardizes gaming quality at all stages, server names and wording I doubt should take any more development time, aside mentioned "negative words" filter already in existence. And even so, I for one prefer everything to be upfront: if someone's a bag of manure fermented under the summer sun (and most I suppose are just "edgy teens" trying to troll people in general to get responses, any responses, for "$hits&giggles" validation) I want to know even before 1st interaction, and leave, not as a "Sur-fukkin'-prise, mofo!" down the line, when am invested in current play-session.

Edited by MondayNight
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Kwaik said:

Of course it would. But there's no direct consequences. You don't get autobanned or anything of the sort.  It's a tool for players to make decisions. 

Griefers are going to grief, but unless you're only playing with griefers it'll ultimately work out over time. 

So to sum up that feature is completely useless and won't do anything against griefers and can at same time potentially harm reputation of players who didn't do anything and get them consitently booted out by people who judge them by the karma (cause people are usually sheep) and assume they are a troll/griefer - because griefers can just as easily use this idiotic karma system against legit players. Not to mention grief accounts can boost their own reputation too.

:applouse:

Leave this karma/reputation crap for reddit and keep it away from DST please.

I am really sick of people coming up with these useless, easily exploitable "moderation" suggestions. (Not just for this game , people put zero thought and have no consideration when coming up with these kind of idiotic moderation suggestions)

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Kwaik said:

Every time a game introduces a system like this the vast majority of people exclusively downvote, and never upvote. They downvote for arbitrary and ridiculous reasons. "He solod a boss that I never even attempted to go help him fight and didn't give me the drop, downvote". "This item is missing and I have no reason to think he stole it but I think he stole it, downvote". "This guy is a noob who's dying too much, downvote".

Plus, this game has dedicated groups of people who don't think they're griefers but they definitely are, dedicated groups of griefers, and players who just have a ton of alts that they use to grief. You really think it's a good idea to give these players the ability to make people get instakicked? Don't Starve players kick someone for being a ghost because "sanity too hard :(", they often immediately say Willow will grief when she joins or sometimes literally just kicks her on join because she's Willow. There is zero chance they see someone with low reputation and "keep an eye on them". They are going to instakick people with low reputation. You are suggesting that griefer groups and griefers with alts be allowed to ban people from Klei servers.

If you're so terrified of griefers and want the community to self-regulate, here's what you can do: join a community server that self-regulates. The griefers are banned there. The thing you want is already in the game in a much better version than what you've suggested.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 3
  • Big Ups 2

TBH this would be abused so much, especially by greifers. In fact, I have noticed more greifers than usual lately so this would DEFINITELY get abused by greifers.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ALCRD said:

So to sum up that feature is completely useless and won't do anything against griefers and can at same time potentially harm reputation of players who didn't do anything and get them consitently booted out by people who judge them by the karma (cause people are usually sheep) and assume they are a troll/griefer - because griefers can just as easily use this idiotic karma system against legit players. Not to mention grief accounts can boost their own reputation too.

:applouse:

Leave this karma/reputation crap for reddit and keep it away from DST please.

I am really sick of people coming up with these useless, easily exploitable "moderation" suggestions. (Not just for this game , people put zero thought and have no consideration when coming up with these kind of idiotic moderation suggestions)

DST social credits, here we come. xdd Any "anti-abuse system" is another tool for griefers to abuse, as mentioned here and below. The one and strictly only thing that would make sense would be the player the option to filter out game names based on their very own criteria in the game (although then they would ironically have to type the words they want to avoid and save them, lol).

• Like 2

On 2/17/2024 at 2:35 PM, Kwaik said:

This would probably end up hurting the game, as cult-ish groups could just continuously improve their scores while hurting others.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1