~ Adding "Pockets" to Clothing Items ~

37 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

In which way exactly? As far as i know rain coat doesn't have  80% dmg reduction

allowing you to use head slot for something other than eyebrella during rain, e.g. miner hat/shanter/CC crown and lantern/cane

37 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Eye mask is good but i usually just make football helmets which is basically head logsuit. And dreadstone helm i never use cause i have crowns around and i can do without head amor in rain. For late game i can do with night armor i don't need those fancy smeckles

in late game you'd have brightshade stuff and umbralla anyway, during early game you'd still prefer to use 90% or 95% armor if possible and wood armor is 80% and i doubt that you're going to carry dreadstone armor unless you're playing as maxwell without shadow manip or on a beefalo 

Edited by grm9
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Nightmor for Raidbosses 80% logsuit or foorltball helmet for seasonals cause cheap = gud.

I think what we're illustrating here is exactly why these items don't need pockets.

There is diversity in choice IF you see value in it.  I think many people see value in the back pack because they need to gather a lot of things as they go, and hate being caught without xyz item in whatever situation surprises them.  With experience I think a player can easily reduce their inventory enough to go without a backpack without any significant compromise in a way they enjoy - it just takes pulling off that bandaid and dropping the backpack lol.

The backpack is probably the #1 most general purpose body slot, but with items like magi, beefalo mounts, and situations like moonstorms, there are reasons to use other gear.

Rather than change any of the gear Klei should probably look at which situations lead players to change up their gear and play around with those in new events.  I like the idea of more varied weather.  They could ditch the lunar rain and introduce gale wind instead.  A gale windstorm would include rain and wind - and what wind does is magnify the effect of wetness in reducing your temperature.  This reduces / removes the window where you can get "some wet" pushing you away from insulation + backpack + ignoring rain and towards insulation + wetness protection.  We still have umbralla though...  I'm not very pleased with the way they're designing this new stuff lol.  Too many answers that are just too good at what they do rather than creating more situations where we can be creative in overcoming obstacles...  The new stuff is absolutely killing the game for me.  No reason not to make a b-line to CC and AFW to get rift gear, but then character perks fall off so they all use the same OP gear...

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

42 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

With experience I think a player can easily reduce their inventory enough to go without a backpack without any significant compromise in a way they enjoy - it just takes pulling off that bandaid and dropping the backpack lol.

Fax, you only need more inventory in some specific activities. I only run out of inventory when i kill AG after clearing ruins. If anyone is having a hard time with inv then play Max, but don't come crying to me when a Worm you thought was a mole reduces you to atoms ;(

• GL Happy 1

9 hours ago, Wander89 said:

How often are you building and using those things?

Exactly!

Pretty frequently actually. Floral Shirt is pretty good 3 days after summer.
Rain Coat is just amazing in of itself as I can get hands free light with the Mining Helmet and Rain Protection.
The Breezy Vest is useful during early spring when combined with an Eyebrella though less useful cause I would rather just use the Rain Coat. (Doesn't mean it should have pockets)
And the last one I use during summer if I don't want to deal with the Floral Shirt (I never remember the name of it but I love the Cawnival Skin it has.)

I really don't understand why people keep saying "backpack problem". There is no problem!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Pretty frequently actually. Floral Shirt is pretty good 3 days after summer.
Rain Coat is just amazing in of itself as I can get hands free light with the Mining Helmet and Rain Protection.
The Breezy Vest is useful during early spring when combined with an Eyebrella though less useful cause I would rather just use the Rain Coat. (Doesn't mean it should have pockets)
And the last one I use during summer if I don't want to deal with the Floral Shirt (I never remember the name of it but I love the Cawnival Skin it has.)

I really don't understand why people keep saying "backpack problem". There is no problem!

There is a problem, you are just in the minority that actually uses clothing items.

• Potato Cup 1

18 hours ago, Wander89 said:

There is a problem, you are just in the minority that actually uses clothing items.

But is there a problem?

The OP asserts that there is a problem with the game and that backpacks are just too amazing for people to use other clothing.  Yet in this thread and this thread we have plenty of examples of people who have found other options amazing enough to leave a backpack behind.  So is it a game issue?  Or a perception issue?

I decided to explore my options.  It started with my frustrations over long winter nights, the grass tax of crafting many lanterns, and the chore of gathering lightbulbs from the caves to refuel them.  I was playing Wanda who already carries nm fuel to refill her Alarming Clock, so I decided "lets give Magi a try."  Nightmare fuel doesn't spoil, I can farm it (almost) anywhere, and its a move speed boost too!  So I put my backpack down and tried it out.  It was an overwhelmingly positive change in my play time in DST.  It took a bit evaluate my needs for each trip and some practice experiencing how much inventory I actually needed after any task.  I had to address my hording, recognizing which items weren't ever used or could be left behind if needed.  In the end I won't go back.

For me - early game a backpack makes sense b/c as you're exploring you are gathering many different things, and especially on a first ruins trip you want to maximize how much you can bring out on the first haul b/c it saves a lot of time vs returning for something you missed...  but outside of that early game rush I can always plan where I'm going and what I'm doing.  IF I'm doing something like mass farming logs / rocks / etc, or clearing ruins or something where inventory is a key resource I find I can go without.

You get 18 spots, 15 inventory + 3 equips.  Pre-rifts my general inventory for Wanda is starcaller staff, heal clock, cane, dread armor / helm, alarming clock, magi, backtrek to base, a hat for whatever season I'm in, and a stack of nm fuel leaving 9 inventory for pickups.  For Willow its lighter, embers, cane, dread armor / helm, SoT, magi, a hat for whatever season, and a stack of nm fuel leaving 10 inventory for pickups.

For others - they may not value the speed and light source of the magi, or staying lower sanity to continually pick up nm fuel.  They might enjoy a more roaming play style rather than specific expeditions to and from their points of interest, so having more varied gear to handle extended leaves from base might be important - and that is okay.

I don't think the game needs to FORCE people to drop their backpack, just provide viable alternatives.  And imo it has.  Its up to player choice, so if you feel the backpack is essential to you, that is your perception of it.  If you don't like this feeling, then I challenge you to take the plunge and just play without a backpack after you designate your base.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

4 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

I've never seen anyone else use.

me

I use em

so that I can have a battle helm and a raincoat on during spring when fighting in the rain

I saw the artwork on the 2023 roadmap featuring wilson wearing both logsuit and backpack

can't we just have a separate equipment slot for the backpack and another for the chest slot (for armor, insulation or amulets)?

• GL Happy 1

18 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Rain_Coat_Dropped.webp.caf2cbcb84bf676514f2b7310fdc3b21.webpFloral_Shirt_Dropped.webp.3ebaa3f57f71add4b2aa46420d5d50d6.webpBreezy_Vest_Dropped.webp.75e157d6619d80b31c4c1e90ad7ef806.webpSummer_Frest_Dropped.png.435a21a1bb518904b50f192c76b42a70.png

How often are you building and using those things?

Exactly!

I prefer rain coats to the eyebrella, and depending on whether other players want to go to the caves for summer or not, I might make a floral shirt. I'd prefer it if the former didn't have pockets, as I usually keep them in my inventory while it's not raining to save durability.

11 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

I've never seen anyone else use.

Hi.

• Like 1

I really don't like this idea in a sense that how very little slots those things would provide. It doesn't feel all that great to use or be balanced unless those suit pieces would give about what backpack gives and or even more as we progress and get better clothing

Better solution perhaps layering backpack on top of the suit you wear instead of a slot? You need to equip that armor or clothing piece then put on a backpack like it's layers of those you set up. Cost of it? You need to take off the backpack to have your quick armor swap back or to even change out of that clothing. 

• Potato Cup 1

1 hour ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I really don't like this idea in a sense that how very little slots those things would provide. It doesn't feel all that great to use or be balanced unless those suit pieces would give about what backpack gives and or even more as we progress and get better clothing

Better solution perhaps layering backpack on top of the suit you wear instead of a slot? You need to equip that armor or clothing piece then put on a backpack like it's layers of those you set up. Cost of it? You need to take off the backpack to have your quick armor swap back or to even change out of that clothing. 

Is the cost of having weather inmunity. Makes no sense to have backpack and rain coat or puffy vest or armor

Also having access to the whole inventory at all times makes the game simplier, you wont need to choose what to have during fights. Everything would feel safer and players wont have the need of actually learning inventory management 

The ammount of changes needed isnt worth to just make the game worst

What is unbalanced is your suggestion tbh

• Big Ups 1

10 hours ago, Yuuko said:

But is there a problem?

The OP asserts that there is a problem with the game and that backpacks are just too amazing for people to use other clothing.  Yet in this thread and this thread we have plenty of examples of people who have found other options amazing enough to leave a backpack behind.  So is it a game issue?  Or a perception issue?

- snip snip snip -

Exactly with everything that was said, and it is an amazing example of character differences and player preferences.
If you couldn't tell from my pfp, I love and play Wormwood almost exclusively. I also really enjoy Light's Out so Mining Helmet is super useful. I prefer using Mining Helmet + Clothing + Boom for my speed boosts. Piggy Back is amazing for hauling a large amount of items if you don't have a Krampus Sack. However on a day to day need, the extra inventory is filled with stuff I just do not need.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I really don't like this idea in a sense that how very little slots those things would provide. It doesn't feel all that great to use or be balanced unless those suit pieces would give about what backpack gives and or even more as we progress and get better clothing.

Called it.

Klei: We've made it so clothing items have extra inventory slots, allowing you to carry a few more things while staying warm/cool.

Playerbase: ...There's not enough inventory slots. I'm going back to using a backpack.

Even if they made it so they had the same slots as a backpack, some players still wouldn't use them as they've gotten through the seasons fine without them and don't want to go out of their way to craft those items. 

Like I said before, blame the player, not the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Maybe there should be a merging item instead. 

My idea (off the top of my head)

the perfected psuedo-sceicne station can allow you to make a merger
which merges the properties of two items
A backpack and insulation vest. 
The sprite that takes priority is the one you put the "merging item" on, so it becomes a backpack that insulates you
maybe this is how we can make use of body slot gear, and it could be only reserved for clothes and backpacks, not armor

not sure but, it would help use make use of less used items. Like the slurper pelt or bearger vest.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, Yuuko said:

You know what got me to stop using a backpack?  Magiluminescence.

Recently tried using the magi more after your post on another similar thread, and holy crap my life has been changed. I rarely use a backpack now.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:36 PM, Guille6785 said:

there's also the problem of having no synergy with the thermal stone which is what most players prefer using since it doesn't need to be equipped

Does stacking a Beefalo hat with a thermal stone really give no extra benefit? I've always felt like it does.

• Big Ups 1

15 minutes ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

Recently tried using the magi more after your post on another similar thread, and holy crap my life has been changed. I rarely use a backpack now.

Glad to hear its working for you!

15 minutes ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

Does stacking a Beefalo hat with a thermal stone really give no extra benefit? I've always felt like it does.

The thermal stone has its own insulation of 120, and ignores other insulation that you might have.  If you have 240 from beef hat the stone is cooling off faster than you are.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

The thermal stone has its own insulation of 120, and ignores other insulation that you might have.  If you have 240 from beef hat the stone is cooling off faster than you are

Oh dang so it's literally anti-synergy.

1 hour ago, Yuuko said:

If you have 240 from beef hat the stone is cooling off faster than you are.

I recall that this isn't true for DST. Neutral thermal stones would not affect heat in any way so at worst you are trading an inventory slot and extra resources on Sewing Kits/Thermal Stones for a temporary heat/light source, non-mod indicator for when to heat up, and possibly a tiny(?) duration increase for the temperature hot keeps you at.

This would work with thermal swapping stations that may have a higher startup cost but nigh-zero maintenance if you've spaced them out conveniently to lose less thermal durability (but at that point you could ditch the insulation gear since they are more for longer travels where you do not stop to heat up or for collecting nearby resources while you wait for the thermal to get to an acceptable temperature).

5 hours ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

the thermal stone will usually turn gray long before the beef hat is done keeping you warm since the latter has much higher insulation

• Like 1