Year of the Boat

Klei what happened to you?

I disappeared from the forums a long time ago but I still played your game because I love it.

The only good thing about Year of the Dragon is the skins and the boat with the complete equipment.

But this new update for the YotD (or rather Year of the Boat) - is just terrible. Year of the Dragon and the first thing you came up with is boat racing... omg...

And this is the FIRST update in 2024 - it really gives bad vibes for the future, What are you doing :-(

You should start strong with something fun. A mediocre update - sometimes it just happens. But this is one of the worst updates from you. Just awful. What happened...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Shopcat 2
  • Sad Dupe 4

9 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Keep in mind, this update counts for the 2023 roadmap so hopefully we see how their new schedual will work.

Have they ever stated anywhere that year of the dragonfly wasn’t one of the 4 updates planned for this year?

• Shopcat 4

According to the road map, I think we should focus on the first major update at the end of March. Although this the Year of the Loong activity, I am disappointed that I did not see the new dragon fly skin. However, I think it would be better for Klei to focus all her energy on the next major update.

I hope they can make some new ocean expansions, quality of life updates, and balance the skill tree in the next update (such as deleting Willow's skill tree CD and using other methods to restrict it).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Have they ever stated anywhere that year of the dragonfly wasn’t one of the 4 updates planned for this year?

In all the previous year of events, they have been part of the road map of the previous year. E.g year of bunnyman was for the 2022 roadmap. This year they just released the roadmap early.

8 minutes ago, zhangsheng said:

(such as deleting Willow's skill tree CD

What if:

The freeze spell makes Willow get colder rather fast while using it. Insulation can slow this (really cool synergy)

Shadow Spell:

1. It could just lower sainity each cast.

2. Or it could spawn an enemie shadeling after dealing a certain amount of damage (the ones from the werepig fight)

Oh you suggested this. Though it is better for the freeze spell to be affected by insulation since it is a fun strategy that costs armour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zhangsheng said:

such as deleting Willow's skill tree CD and using other methods to restrict it)

I think there is a lot of drama behind needing to wait just 5seconds to use the spell again. I prefer such weak downside that horrible suggestions like ember limit

They can remove the CD tho, it has no impact and the skills arent that strong. Neither they fit dst...

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

I think there is a lot of drama behind needing to wait just 5seconds to use the spell again. I prefer such weak downside that horrible suggestions like ember limit

They can remove the CD tho, it has no impact and the skills arent that strong. Neither they fit dst...

The cooldown time of Willow's skills can only be seen by opening the skills panel. In practical combat, opening the Ethereal Ember skill panel itself requires some operational space, and there is also a cooldown time as an interference item, which is a design flaw and not fun.

The plan I proposed can not only increase the fun and make the usage process more appropriate, but also limit the intensity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voyager156 said:

But this new update for the YotD (or rather Year of the Boat) - is just terrible. Year of the Dragon and the first thing you came up with is boat racing... omg...

Ppl have said this in other threads but it’s based off of a real thing in China with dragon-themed boat races

its fine if you don’t understand it but just consider that maybe this update isn’t for you

Idk why ppl were expecting some huge dfly rework or smth anyways like come on ppl lol

Edited by goblinball
  • Like 1
  • Wavey 1

19 minutes ago, goblinball said:

its fine if you don’t understand it but just consider that maybe this update isn’t for you

Idk why ppl were expecting some huge dfly rework or smth anyways like come on ppl lol

It's not that at all. People just wanted to see correlation between the event and the mob itself. If most of the people i'm reading the replies of didn't like the event then "maybe this update isn't for you" doesn't make sense. I didn't see any criticism as much as this prior to this year of the x event. 

Edited by BalkanCockroach
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, goblinball said:

Ppl have said this in other threads but it’s based off of a real thing in China with dragon-themed boat races

Do they hold rat races during the year of the rat and have pillow fights during the year of the rabbit, too?

Jokes aside, I am somewhat conflicted. On the one hand, I like that they are trying to create more ocean content, and a boat race does make sense as a lunar new year event, but there was so much anticipation for the Year of the Dragon, specifically, because of Dragonfly. If anything, the boat race should have been a Year of the Monkey event, since we have pirate monkeys, and the shadow competitor is even a monkey.

Edited by cybers2001
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Do they hold rat races during the year of the rat and have pillow fights during the year of the rabbit, too?

Jokes aside, I am somewhat conflicted. On the one hand, I like that they are trying to create more ocean content, and a boat race does make sense as a lunar new year event, but there was so much anticipation for the Year of the Dragon, specifically, because of Dragonfly. If anything, the boat race should have been a Year of the Monkey event, since we have pirate monkeys, and the shadow competitor is even a monkey.

Feels like whenever they do actually make ocean content, they never target the right areas.

Waterlogged is cool and all, but there is still this large empty space with almost nothing that coves 95% of the ocean.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Feels like whenever they do actually make ocean content, they never target the right areas.

Waterlogged is cool and all, but there is still this large empty space with almost nothing that coves 95% of the ocean.

If you have access to mods, you can fix this by “Duplicating” the important ocean content across your ocean- for example instead of having only one moon quay island and water-logged, they are treated as a set of Islands found periodically throughout the sea.

Its something I could put into the game in 15 seconds if Klei allowed me access to a “Creative Mode” for DST.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Yep. I think I saw you mention this should have been a year of the monkey event, too, and honestly this is all the more reason for it. That would have put this event in 2028, which would (hopefully) be enough time to let Klei cook with ocean content.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, goblinball said:

a real thing in China with dragon-themed boat races

That happens during summer though, it's like getting Easter Eggs update for winters feast...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Sad Dupe 1

2 hours ago, _zwb said:

That happens during summer though, it's like getting Easter Eggs update for winters feast...

Its more like celebrating 4th of July during thanksgiving. I think that is a better comparison. (I am not American)

2 hours ago, cybers2001 said:

Yep. I think I saw you mention this should have been a year of the monkey event, too, and honestly this is all the more reason for it. That would have put this event in 2028, which would (hopefully) be enough time to let Klei cook with ocean content.

I hope. The ocean has been in WIP for 5 years alongside other content they should be shifting their focus into making one finished thing rather than many unfinished things.

• Sanity 1

6 hours ago, goblinball said:

As others have said, the dragon boat festival is something China celebrates in the summer, not a part of New Years.

But even outside of that, while I agree a complete Dragonfly rework might have been a bit much. I definitly think it was reasonable for people expect the event to atleast be related to the Dragonfly outside of a few statues.

Every other new year event atleast had you interact with the associated creature. Pigs, Bunnymen, Beefalo, and Carrats all had their own mini game. Year of the Catcoon had the kitcoon hunt. Year of the Varg had the clay vargs, and year of the Gobbler atleast made the source of lucky nuggets the titular Gobbler. So tear of the Dragonfly only being such in name is definitly odd.

• Like 7
  • Sanity 1

9 hours ago, _zwb said:

Do you think the lunar event is finished with the firecrackers and lanterns and Lucky Beast costume (added ahead of its time)? Winter's Feast 2023 didn't get anything new other than boss ornaments and art, likely because it's getting bloated.

The questions they are answering are along the lines of:

• Are there any cultural events and activities associated with the animal? and
  • How can it be incorporated in the game?

I find this understandable as traditional celebrations aren't exactly updating themselves with new marketable products and activities to keep themselves fresh.

• Haha 1
  • Potato Cup 4

4 hours ago, Popian said:

I find this understandable as traditional celebrations aren't exactly updating themselves with new marketable products and activities to keep themselves fresh

This is false. That stupid elf on the shelf that should be burned.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

This is false. That stupid elf on the shelf that should be burned.

How is this new? It's a rebranding of things that already existed (elf, toy, decoration).

And entertaining that, how many years did it take since the last innovations to the event that changed how a majority of people celebrate it every year?

7 hours ago, Popian said:

How is this new? It's a rebranding of things that already existed (elf, toy, decoration).

And entertaining that, how many years did it take since the last innovations to the event that changed how a majority of people celebrate it every year?

It is new. It came in 2016 (because someone tried to make everyone buy an overpriced doll by marketing it as a new family tradition). Now so many people have this crindge, ugly horrible creature that they move around the house to scare children... i am so glad i get a free pass to touch it since i am old enough.

Okay so I’ve learned the hard way that Dragon Boating Event + Boat with an actual Mast on it = extremely frustrating, highly unfun, total loss of control over where the boat is actually trying to steer into, chaos! 

It is in fact.. much easier to just use the boat oar and give the birdie finger to the mast, steering wheel and anchor set up.

Has anyone (Klei Dev or Not..) actually tried to PLAY this event on an Xbox? It’s plagued with a slew of problems..

One of the obvious issues that should have never made it past Klei’s development stage for such an event is that- If you do as the event actually is designed for you to do, and you upgrade your dragon boat with the various dragon boat kit items, that thanks to the Xbox versions of the game always having an always on-screen Inspect prompt, your character tries to “Inspect” the Dragonscale bumpers on the edge of your boat- Instead of letting the player actually activate the starting checkpoint for the race.

I don’t even have words for how disappointing this years Year of Event has been, it didn’t even get an annual Curio Collectors Cabinet Mini Game previous Year of Events had gotten.

I don’t have words… but this forum emoji should sum up my emotions for this event pretty nicely-

:wilson_facepalm:

• Sad Dupe 1

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay so I’ve learned the hard way that Dragon Boating Event + Boat with an actual Mast on it = extremely frustrating, highly unfun, total loss of control over where the boat is actually trying to steer into, chaos! 

It is in fact.. much easier to just use the boat oar and give the birdie finger to the mast, steering wheel and anchor set up.

Has anyone (Klei Dev or Not..) actually tried to PLAY this event on an Xbox? It’s plagued with a slew of problems..

One of the obvious issues that should have never made it past Klei’s development stage for such an event is that- If you do as the event actually is designed for you to do, and you upgrade your dragon boat with the various dragon boat kit items, that thanks to the Xbox versions of the game always having an always on-screen Inspect prompt, your character tries to “Inspect” the Dragonscale bumpers on the edge of your boat- Instead of letting the player actually activate the starting checkpoint for the race.

I don’t even have words for how disappointing this years Year of Event has been, it didn’t even get an annual Curio Collectors Cabinet Mini Game previous Year of Events had gotten.

I don’t have words… but this forum emoji should sum up my emotions for this event pretty nicely-

:wilson_facepalm:

You gave me an idea, what if we build a boat magnet on the monkey's boat, and then make it trapped by putting the nautopilot in the water?

You can cheese the event with trawl nets already anyway though this might be much cheaper and easier.

• Sanity 1